Schumacher documentary to hit market at Cannes film festival
Former world champion Formula One driver Michael Schumacher will be the subject of a new documentary by two German filmmakers in a production fully supported by his family, reports said Monday.
Produced by the Hamburg-based company B/14 Film and directed by Michael Wech and Hanns-Bruno Kammertons, the documentary includes never-before-seen archive footage and interviews with his family and competitors, film industry magazine Variety reported. It is set to be released by the end of the year.
Sabine Kehm, spokeswoman for Schumacher's family, told Variety the seven-time Formula One world champion's outstanding career deserves to be celebrated, adding: We are happy this film will be in the hands of such ambitious and sensitive professionals.
Already in post-production, the documentary is to be sold at the Cannes film festival, beginning Tuesday, where punters are eagerly awaiting another sporting epic in the shape of Asif Kapadia's Diego Maradona about the legendary Argentinian footballer.
Schumacher, who turned 50 in January, suffered serious head injuries in a skiing accident in December 2013 and has not been seen in public since, with 2019 marking 25 years since his first World Championship win.
But the new film is unlikely to touch on the state of the German champion's health, details of which have been kept a closely guarded secret since his accident which shocked the world and saw him plunged into a medically-induced coma, from which he later emerged..
(2019/05/15 12:58)Click Here for Japanese Translation
AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL
- 05/24 11:45 American climber dies on Everest
- 05/24 11:36 With the world at her feet, Osaka takes Paris in her stride
- 05/24 11:11 Migration to the north-- climate change puts plankton on the move
- 05/24 10:52 Israeli researchers drink to old times with ancient-style beer
- 05/24 10:30 Prada fashion house to shed fur
- 05/24 10:19 Elton John's pain at watching 'family parts' in new film 'Rocketman'
- 05/23 12:12 2-metre sea level rise 'plausible' by 2100-- study
- 05/23 11:53 Panama's indigenous Guna demand Nike withdraw 'pirated' shoe design
- 05/23 10:54 Fight vaccine hesitancy as 'contagious disease', UN meeting told
- 05/23 10:40 Spurs ban fans for trying to sell Champions League final tickets
- 05/23 10:29 Canada shuts down zoo, charges owner with cruelty
- 05/23 10:21 Washington first US state to legalize human composting
- 05/22 12:37 Figure skater Coughlin abused me says former partner
- 05/22 12:21 Ethiopia hosts $173,000-a-seat dinner to beautify capital
- 05/22 11:25 Pressure at top Russian daily triggers mass walkout
- 05/22 11:11 India gender-row sprinter Chand says she is gay
- 05/22 10:50 Wingmoms-- How bonobo mothers help their sons find love
- 05/22 10:29 Whitney Houston estate working on hologram tour, new album
- 05/21 14:28 Jamie Chadwick moves step closer to F1 drive by joining Williams academy
- 05/21 12:50 Online trove of Instagram influencer info unguarded
- 05/21 12:08 Topless Tongan eyes unique Olympic treble
- 05/21 11:45 French drug smuggler sentenced to death in Indonesia
- 05/21 10:43 France posts new tourist record despite 'yellow vest' unrest
- 05/21 10:26 British driver Monger wins first race since double amputation
- 05/20 12:17 Israel minister not happy with Palestinian flags at Eurovision
- 05/20 11:17 Remote island beach plastics point to greater waste problem
- 05/20 11:03 Another day at the office-- Sherpa completes record 23rd Everest climb
- 05/20 10:42 Parents appeal to French president in right-to-die case
- 05/20 10:35 Dirty data-- Firms count environmental costs of digital planet
- 05/20 10:22 British royals celebrate third wedding in 12 months
- 05/17 17:22 Activists urge Kenya to halt 'horrific' donkey skin sales to China
- 05/17 17:14 Lost US passport in Austria? Go to McDonald's for help
- 05/17 12:25 Most Notre-Dame pledges not yet honoured-- archbishop
- 05/17 12:15 Modern humans diverged from Neanderthals much sooner than believed-- study
- 05/17 12:09 Chinese probe reveals secrets of Moon's dark side
- 05/17 10:35 Global study finds third of female lawyers harassed
- 05/16 12:35 Flying cars mooted for Paris' public transport network
- 05/16 12:27 'Extreme drought' in North Korea-- KCNA
- 05/16 11:20 San Francisco bans facial recognition use by police
- 05/16 11:11 Mexico creates database of clandestine graves
- 05/16 11:01 Five big moments to watch for Cannes stargazers
- 05/16 10:50 Soft drink sales plunged in Philadelphia after soda tax-- study
- 05/15 13:28 Record number of attacks on gays in France-- report
- 05/15 13:12 S.Africa to appeal against Semenya testosterone ruling
- 05/15 12:58 Schumacher documentary to hit market at Cannes film festival
- 05/15 12:44 Cannes makes a killing on the film festival
- 05/15 12:32 The Moon is shrinking, wrinkling due to quakes-- study
- 05/15 12:14 Monsanto ordered to pay $2 bn in new Roundup trial