Record number of attacks on gays in France-- report
Assaults in France on lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people hit a new record in 2018, a dark year for the LGBT community, French group SOS Homophobie reported Tuesday.
The non-profit association registered 231 physical attacks, up from the previous annual record of 188 anti-LGBT assaults back in 2013 linked to same-sex marriage legislation.
2018 was a dark year for LGBT people, said SOS Homophobie co-presidents Véronique Godet and Joël Deumier in the yearly report.
The number of assaults jumped 66 percent over 2017, with a spike towards the end of the year when a case a day was being reported to the group.
SOS Homophobie's helpline, website and legal services collected 1,905 statements from witnesses of abuse of the gay community, 15 percent more than the previous year.
The breakdown of cases, which could involve multiple categories, showed 62 percent involved rejection, 51 percent insults, 38 percent discrimination and 20 percent harassment. Threats and defamation made up 17 percent each with physical assault on 13 percent.
Some 66 percent of witnesses were men, who were more inclined to talk about it and turn to SOS Homophobie to denounce what they suffered.
The association said the 42 percent leap in reporting of violence against lesbians appeared linked to the greater willingness of victims to speak out and the influence of the #MeToo movement.
With 23 percent of reported cases, Internet was the leading place for the expression of LGBT phobia in France.
Facebook and Twitter act like an echo chamber of daily cases with the social networks recording more than half of all reported cases, the group said.
(2019/05/15 13:28)Click Here for Japanese Translation
AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL
- 05/24 11:45 American climber dies on Everest
- 05/24 11:36 With the world at her feet, Osaka takes Paris in her stride
- 05/24 11:11 Migration to the north-- climate change puts plankton on the move
- 05/24 10:52 Israeli researchers drink to old times with ancient-style beer
- 05/24 10:30 Prada fashion house to shed fur
- 05/24 10:19 Elton John's pain at watching 'family parts' in new film 'Rocketman'
- 05/23 12:12 2-metre sea level rise 'plausible' by 2100-- study
- 05/23 11:53 Panama's indigenous Guna demand Nike withdraw 'pirated' shoe design
- 05/23 10:54 Fight vaccine hesitancy as 'contagious disease', UN meeting told
- 05/23 10:40 Spurs ban fans for trying to sell Champions League final tickets
- 05/23 10:29 Canada shuts down zoo, charges owner with cruelty
- 05/23 10:21 Washington first US state to legalize human composting
- 05/22 12:37 Figure skater Coughlin abused me says former partner
- 05/22 12:21 Ethiopia hosts $173,000-a-seat dinner to beautify capital
- 05/22 11:25 Pressure at top Russian daily triggers mass walkout
- 05/22 11:11 India gender-row sprinter Chand says she is gay
- 05/22 10:50 Wingmoms-- How bonobo mothers help their sons find love
- 05/22 10:29 Whitney Houston estate working on hologram tour, new album
- 05/21 14:28 Jamie Chadwick moves step closer to F1 drive by joining Williams academy
- 05/21 12:50 Online trove of Instagram influencer info unguarded
- 05/21 12:08 Topless Tongan eyes unique Olympic treble
- 05/21 11:45 French drug smuggler sentenced to death in Indonesia
- 05/21 10:43 France posts new tourist record despite 'yellow vest' unrest
- 05/21 10:26 British driver Monger wins first race since double amputation
- 05/20 12:17 Israel minister not happy with Palestinian flags at Eurovision
- 05/20 11:17 Remote island beach plastics point to greater waste problem
- 05/20 11:03 Another day at the office-- Sherpa completes record 23rd Everest climb
- 05/20 10:42 Parents appeal to French president in right-to-die case
- 05/20 10:35 Dirty data-- Firms count environmental costs of digital planet
- 05/20 10:22 British royals celebrate third wedding in 12 months
- 05/17 17:22 Activists urge Kenya to halt 'horrific' donkey skin sales to China
- 05/17 17:14 Lost US passport in Austria? Go to McDonald's for help
- 05/17 12:25 Most Notre-Dame pledges not yet honoured-- archbishop
- 05/17 12:15 Modern humans diverged from Neanderthals much sooner than believed-- study
- 05/17 12:09 Chinese probe reveals secrets of Moon's dark side
- 05/17 10:35 Global study finds third of female lawyers harassed
- 05/16 12:35 Flying cars mooted for Paris' public transport network
- 05/16 12:27 'Extreme drought' in North Korea-- KCNA
- 05/16 11:20 San Francisco bans facial recognition use by police
- 05/16 11:11 Mexico creates database of clandestine graves
- 05/16 11:01 Five big moments to watch for Cannes stargazers
- 05/16 10:50 Soft drink sales plunged in Philadelphia after soda tax-- study
- 05/15 13:28 Record number of attacks on gays in France-- report
- 05/15 13:12 S.Africa to appeal against Semenya testosterone ruling
- 05/15 12:58 Schumacher documentary to hit market at Cannes film festival
- 05/15 12:44 Cannes makes a killing on the film festival
- 05/15 12:32 The Moon is shrinking, wrinkling due to quakes-- study
- 05/15 12:14 Monsanto ordered to pay $2 bn in new Roundup trial