UN envoy Jolie meets Colombian president over Venezuelan migrant kids
Actress and UN special envoy for refugees Angelina Jolie met Saturday with Colombian President Ivan Duque to advocate for the estimated 20,000 children of Venezuelan migrants left with uncertain status after their parents fled their crisis-wracked home country.
In a meeting in the port city of Cartagena, the American actress urged Duque to resolve the legal limbo facing the children since Colombia does not automatically recognize children born in its territory as nationals.
The president and I spoke of the risk of statelessness for more than 20,000 Venezuelan children, Jolie said.
Duque, who has supported the international pressure campaign against Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro, also stressed the urgent need to resolve the children's status.
Since Caracas and Bogota broke off diplomatic relations, parents find it difficult to register their children in Venezuelan consulates.
Many of the parents are in irregular situations, leaving the children's status even more unclear, although they do enjoy basic care.
Addressing their status would be a humanitarian way of giving them opportunities and benefits, Duque said.
Jolie, after visiting a border area, praised Colombia's treatment of the Venezuelan migrants, the biggest migratory influx in Colombian history.
She said she had visited badly overcrowded schools and hospitals but had also seen the inspiring humanity of local communities.
The Venezuelan crisis -- pitting Maduro against opposition leader Juan Guaido, who is recognized by some 50 nations as the country's interim leader -- has left Venezuelans facing dire shortages of food, medicine and other basics.
An estimated 3.3 million Venezuelans have fled to other countries. Colombia alone has taken in 1.3 million.
Jolie was accompanied on her two-day trip by UN Deputy High Commissioner for Refugees Kelly Clements; they are to visit the border department of La Guajira before returning home.
(2019/06/10 12:03)Click Here for Japanese Translation
AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL
- 06/18 11:35 Heiress and legendary socialite Gloria Vanderbilt dies at 95
- 06/18 11:16 Palau changes ocean sanctuary plan to allow Japan fishing
- 06/18 11:02 Lisbon fetes 'saint of love' with free deluxe weddings
- 06/18 10:52 Italian 'Bonnie and Clyde' arrested in Thailand for Clooney fraud
- 06/18 10:41 Bangladesh prison breakfast menu gets makeover after 200 years
- 06/18 10:35 Alternative meat seen as potentially juicy business
- 06/17 11:49 Surveillance-savvy Hong Kong protesters go digitally dark
- 06/17 11:32 Seven die cleaning Indian hotel septic tank-- police
- 06/17 11:18 Vidal says Chile are team to fear ahead of Japan Copa clash
- 06/17 11:01 Indonesia returns five containers of waste to the US
- 06/17 10:45 Paris's Notre-Dame holds first mass since devastating blaze
- 06/17 10:28 Cannabis edibles expected on the market in Canada by year's end
- 06/14 13:25 California nostalgia as Springsteen introduces new sound
- 06/14 11:56 Lovelorn fish turn gloomy when separated-- study
- 06/14 11:50 Telegram hit by cyber-attack, CEO points to HK protests, China
- 06/14 11:02 Uber eyes drones for food delivery, unveils new autonomous car
- 06/14 10:52 High spirits-- study finds cannabis first used in C. Asian funerals
- 06/14 10:34 Ecuador's highest court approves same-sex marriage
- 06/13 11:44 Neymar's rape accuser abandoned by third lawyer
- 06/13 11:34 No 'Endgame' for Marvel fan-- he's seen 'Avengers' film 110 times
- 06/13 11:19 Encephalitis from lychees kills 31 children in India-- official
- 06/13 11:10 Do you consume a credit card's worth of plastic every week?
- 06/13 10:43 Emissions rose an 'unsustainable' 2% in 2018-- study
- 06/13 10:30 World's most costly painting on Saudi prince's yacht-- report
- 06/12 12:52 Radiohead defies hackers, releases trove of stolen music
- 06/12 11:52 Indian toddler dies after 110 hours down well
- 06/12 11:25 Locust swarm decimates crops in Sardinia
- 06/12 11:09 Hungary police lift capsized tourist boat from river
- 06/12 10:47 Light exposure during sleep linked to weight gain in women-- study
- 06/12 10:28 NBA star Tony Parker announces retirement
- 06/11 16:12 Six convicted over notorious Indian gang rape
- 06/11 11:35 An early 'Tintin' cover sells at auction for $1.1 million
- 06/11 11:26 Man killed in fight over water in India amid deadly dust storm
- 06/11 11:17 Microsoft gives glimpse of new Xbox console
- 06/11 10:57 Sri Lanka to ban chainsaws, timber mills-- president
- 06/11 10:31 Nadal tells Thiem-- 'You'll win it one day'
- 06/10 12:40 Sue are you? Roland Garros red-faced over 43-year trophy error
- 06/10 12:32 Hundreds of Tehran restaurants shut for breaking 'Islamic principles'
- 06/10 12:14 Nepal faces mountainous challenge identifying Everest bodies
- 06/10 12:03 UN envoy Jolie meets Colombian president over Venezuelan migrant kids
- 06/10 11:52 Queen honours 'The Crown' actress Olivia Colman
- 06/10 11:44 Spain's Sagrada Familia gets building permit... after 137 years