Sue are you? Roland Garros red-faced over 43-year trophy error
When Sue Barker won the French Open women's title in 1976 she became Britain's most recent champion in Paris -- or did she?
An eagle-eyed photographer on Sunday spotted that Barker is listed as Australian and not British on the list of champions whose names are engraved on the Suzanne Lenglen trophy.
Last time I checked, Sue Barker was British - are my eyes deceiving me? @rolandgarros #britishtennis #australiantennis #confused #trophy, tweeted Ella Ling who snapped a photo of the cup which has classed Barker as 'AUST' rather than 'GBR' for the last 43 years.
I mean seriously....how has no one noticed!
Barker defeated Renata Tomanova in the 1976 final and now works as a well-respected TV sports presenter in the UK.
It was a bad spell for the trophy engraver in the late 70s, as the 1977 champion Mima Jausovec is also spelt wrong, as 'Jausevec'.
(2019/06/10 12:40)Click Here for Japanese Translation
AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL
- 06/18 11:35 Heiress and legendary socialite Gloria Vanderbilt dies at 95
- 06/18 11:16 Palau changes ocean sanctuary plan to allow Japan fishing
- 06/18 11:02 Lisbon fetes 'saint of love' with free deluxe weddings
- 06/18 10:52 Italian 'Bonnie and Clyde' arrested in Thailand for Clooney fraud
- 06/18 10:41 Bangladesh prison breakfast menu gets makeover after 200 years
- 06/18 10:35 Alternative meat seen as potentially juicy business
- 06/17 11:49 Surveillance-savvy Hong Kong protesters go digitally dark
- 06/17 11:32 Seven die cleaning Indian hotel septic tank-- police
- 06/17 11:18 Vidal says Chile are team to fear ahead of Japan Copa clash
- 06/17 11:01 Indonesia returns five containers of waste to the US
- 06/17 10:45 Paris's Notre-Dame holds first mass since devastating blaze
- 06/17 10:28 Cannabis edibles expected on the market in Canada by year's end
- 06/14 13:25 California nostalgia as Springsteen introduces new sound
- 06/14 11:56 Lovelorn fish turn gloomy when separated-- study
- 06/14 11:50 Telegram hit by cyber-attack, CEO points to HK protests, China
- 06/14 11:02 Uber eyes drones for food delivery, unveils new autonomous car
- 06/14 10:52 High spirits-- study finds cannabis first used in C. Asian funerals
- 06/14 10:34 Ecuador's highest court approves same-sex marriage
- 06/13 11:44 Neymar's rape accuser abandoned by third lawyer
- 06/13 11:34 No 'Endgame' for Marvel fan-- he's seen 'Avengers' film 110 times
- 06/13 11:19 Encephalitis from lychees kills 31 children in India-- official
- 06/13 11:10 Do you consume a credit card's worth of plastic every week?
- 06/13 10:43 Emissions rose an 'unsustainable' 2% in 2018-- study
- 06/13 10:30 World's most costly painting on Saudi prince's yacht-- report
- 06/12 12:52 Radiohead defies hackers, releases trove of stolen music
- 06/12 11:52 Indian toddler dies after 110 hours down well
- 06/12 11:25 Locust swarm decimates crops in Sardinia
- 06/12 11:09 Hungary police lift capsized tourist boat from river
- 06/12 10:47 Light exposure during sleep linked to weight gain in women-- study
- 06/12 10:28 NBA star Tony Parker announces retirement
- 06/11 16:12 Six convicted over notorious Indian gang rape
- 06/11 11:35 An early 'Tintin' cover sells at auction for $1.1 million
- 06/11 11:26 Man killed in fight over water in India amid deadly dust storm
- 06/11 11:17 Microsoft gives glimpse of new Xbox console
- 06/11 10:57 Sri Lanka to ban chainsaws, timber mills-- president
- 06/11 10:31 Nadal tells Thiem-- 'You'll win it one day'
- 06/10 12:40 Sue are you? Roland Garros red-faced over 43-year trophy error
- 06/10 12:32 Hundreds of Tehran restaurants shut for breaking 'Islamic principles'
- 06/10 12:14 Nepal faces mountainous challenge identifying Everest bodies
- 06/10 12:03 UN envoy Jolie meets Colombian president over Venezuelan migrant kids
- 06/10 11:52 Queen honours 'The Crown' actress Olivia Colman
- 06/10 11:44 Spain's Sagrada Familia gets building permit... after 137 years