World's most costly painting on Saudi prince's yacht-- report
Since its sale for a record $450 million, the whereabouts of the Salvator Mundi, said to be painted by Leonardo da Vinci, has become one of the art world's greatest mysteries.
On Monday, London-based art dealer Kenny Schachter, writing for the website Artnews, offered answers: the painting now resides on the gargantuan yacht owned by powerful Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.
Since its record-setting sale at Christie's in 2017, the painting, in which Jesus Christ is depicted emerging from darkness blessing the world with one hand while holding a transparent globe in the other, has never been exhibited in public, triggering doubts about its ownership, whereabouts and authenticity.
Many art experts are split over whether the painting is genuine, saying it was not painted by the Italian master personally but instead by his workshop.
The Wall Street Journal first reported that the painting was bought by Saudi prince Badr bin Abdullah, who acted in the name of the Saudi crown prince, known by his initials MBS.
Riyadh never confirmed or denied that report.
AFP could not corroborate Schachter's column, and in a nod to the opaque nature of international art sales, he wrote, In the murky Middle Eastern waters nothing is quite crystal clear.
But citing several sources including two involved in the sale, Schachter claims the painting was whisked away in the middle of the night on MBS's plane and relocated to his yacht, the Serene.
After saying the painting was originally found in shards and had to be reconstructed before its auction, he asks, what harm could the occasional splash of seawater do?
Schachter later wrote that the painting will remain onboard the massive yacht until it is relocated to the Al-Ula governorate, which Saudi Arabia is aiming to transform into a culture and tourism destination.
(2019/06/13 10:30)Click Here for Japanese Translation
AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL
- 06/18 11:35 Heiress and legendary socialite Gloria Vanderbilt dies at 95
- 06/18 11:16 Palau changes ocean sanctuary plan to allow Japan fishing
- 06/18 11:02 Lisbon fetes 'saint of love' with free deluxe weddings
- 06/18 10:52 Italian 'Bonnie and Clyde' arrested in Thailand for Clooney fraud
- 06/18 10:41 Bangladesh prison breakfast menu gets makeover after 200 years
- 06/18 10:35 Alternative meat seen as potentially juicy business
- 06/17 11:49 Surveillance-savvy Hong Kong protesters go digitally dark
- 06/17 11:32 Seven die cleaning Indian hotel septic tank-- police
- 06/17 11:18 Vidal says Chile are team to fear ahead of Japan Copa clash
- 06/17 11:01 Indonesia returns five containers of waste to the US
- 06/17 10:45 Paris's Notre-Dame holds first mass since devastating blaze
- 06/17 10:28 Cannabis edibles expected on the market in Canada by year's end
- 06/14 13:25 California nostalgia as Springsteen introduces new sound
- 06/14 11:56 Lovelorn fish turn gloomy when separated-- study
- 06/14 11:50 Telegram hit by cyber-attack, CEO points to HK protests, China
- 06/14 11:02 Uber eyes drones for food delivery, unveils new autonomous car
- 06/14 10:52 High spirits-- study finds cannabis first used in C. Asian funerals
- 06/14 10:34 Ecuador's highest court approves same-sex marriage
- 06/13 11:44 Neymar's rape accuser abandoned by third lawyer
- 06/13 11:34 No 'Endgame' for Marvel fan-- he's seen 'Avengers' film 110 times
- 06/13 11:19 Encephalitis from lychees kills 31 children in India-- official
- 06/13 11:10 Do you consume a credit card's worth of plastic every week?
- 06/13 10:43 Emissions rose an 'unsustainable' 2% in 2018-- study
- 06/13 10:30 World's most costly painting on Saudi prince's yacht-- report
- 06/12 12:52 Radiohead defies hackers, releases trove of stolen music
- 06/12 11:52 Indian toddler dies after 110 hours down well
- 06/12 11:25 Locust swarm decimates crops in Sardinia
- 06/12 11:09 Hungary police lift capsized tourist boat from river
- 06/12 10:47 Light exposure during sleep linked to weight gain in women-- study
- 06/12 10:28 NBA star Tony Parker announces retirement
- 06/11 16:12 Six convicted over notorious Indian gang rape
- 06/11 11:35 An early 'Tintin' cover sells at auction for $1.1 million
- 06/11 11:26 Man killed in fight over water in India amid deadly dust storm
- 06/11 11:17 Microsoft gives glimpse of new Xbox console
- 06/11 10:57 Sri Lanka to ban chainsaws, timber mills-- president
- 06/11 10:31 Nadal tells Thiem-- 'You'll win it one day'
- 06/10 12:40 Sue are you? Roland Garros red-faced over 43-year trophy error
- 06/10 12:32 Hundreds of Tehran restaurants shut for breaking 'Islamic principles'
- 06/10 12:14 Nepal faces mountainous challenge identifying Everest bodies
- 06/10 12:03 UN envoy Jolie meets Colombian president over Venezuelan migrant kids
- 06/10 11:52 Queen honours 'The Crown' actress Olivia Colman
- 06/10 11:44 Spain's Sagrada Familia gets building permit... after 137 years