Encephalitis from lychees kills 31 children in India-- official
At least 31 children have died in northern India in the last 10 days from a deadly brain disease believed linked to a toxic substance found in lychee fruit, health officials said Wednesday.
The deaths were reported from two hospitals in Bihar state's Muzaffarpur district, famed for it lush lychee orchards, officials said.
The children all showed symptoms of Acute Encephalitis Syndrome (AES), senior health official Ashok Kumar Singh told AFP, adding most had suffered a sudden loss of glucose in their blood.
The health department has already issued an advisory for people to take care of their children during the hot summer when day temperature is above 40 degreed Celsius (104 Fahrenheit), Singh said.
At least 40 other children complaining of similar symptoms were being treated at intensive care units.
We are trying our best to save them, said S.P. Singh, the chief medical officer of Sri Krishna Medical College and Hospital.
The outbreaks of the disease have happened annually during summer months in Muzaffarpur and neighbouring districts since 1995, typically coinciding with the litchi season.
Known locally as Chamki Bukhar, the disease had claimed a record 150 lives in 2014.
In 2015, US researchers had said the brain disease could be linked to a toxic substance found in the exotic fruit.
They also said more study was needed to uncover the cause of the illness, which leads to seizures, altered mental state and death in more than a third of cases.
Outbreaks of neurological illness have also been observed in lychee-growing regions of Bangladesh and Vietnam.
(2019/06/13 11:19)Click Here for Japanese Translation
AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL
- 06/18 11:35 Heiress and legendary socialite Gloria Vanderbilt dies at 95
- 06/18 11:16 Palau changes ocean sanctuary plan to allow Japan fishing
- 06/18 11:02 Lisbon fetes 'saint of love' with free deluxe weddings
- 06/18 10:52 Italian 'Bonnie and Clyde' arrested in Thailand for Clooney fraud
- 06/18 10:41 Bangladesh prison breakfast menu gets makeover after 200 years
- 06/18 10:35 Alternative meat seen as potentially juicy business
- 06/17 11:49 Surveillance-savvy Hong Kong protesters go digitally dark
- 06/17 11:32 Seven die cleaning Indian hotel septic tank-- police
- 06/17 11:18 Vidal says Chile are team to fear ahead of Japan Copa clash
- 06/17 11:01 Indonesia returns five containers of waste to the US
- 06/17 10:45 Paris's Notre-Dame holds first mass since devastating blaze
- 06/17 10:28 Cannabis edibles expected on the market in Canada by year's end
- 06/14 13:25 California nostalgia as Springsteen introduces new sound
- 06/14 11:56 Lovelorn fish turn gloomy when separated-- study
- 06/14 11:50 Telegram hit by cyber-attack, CEO points to HK protests, China
- 06/14 11:02 Uber eyes drones for food delivery, unveils new autonomous car
- 06/14 10:52 High spirits-- study finds cannabis first used in C. Asian funerals
- 06/14 10:34 Ecuador's highest court approves same-sex marriage
- 06/13 11:44 Neymar's rape accuser abandoned by third lawyer
- 06/13 11:34 No 'Endgame' for Marvel fan-- he's seen 'Avengers' film 110 times
- 06/13 11:19 Encephalitis from lychees kills 31 children in India-- official
- 06/13 11:10 Do you consume a credit card's worth of plastic every week?
- 06/13 10:43 Emissions rose an 'unsustainable' 2% in 2018-- study
- 06/13 10:30 World's most costly painting on Saudi prince's yacht-- report
- 06/12 12:52 Radiohead defies hackers, releases trove of stolen music
- 06/12 11:52 Indian toddler dies after 110 hours down well
- 06/12 11:25 Locust swarm decimates crops in Sardinia
- 06/12 11:09 Hungary police lift capsized tourist boat from river
- 06/12 10:47 Light exposure during sleep linked to weight gain in women-- study
- 06/12 10:28 NBA star Tony Parker announces retirement
- 06/11 16:12 Six convicted over notorious Indian gang rape
- 06/11 11:35 An early 'Tintin' cover sells at auction for $1.1 million
- 06/11 11:26 Man killed in fight over water in India amid deadly dust storm
- 06/11 11:17 Microsoft gives glimpse of new Xbox console
- 06/11 10:57 Sri Lanka to ban chainsaws, timber mills-- president
- 06/11 10:31 Nadal tells Thiem-- 'You'll win it one day'
- 06/10 12:40 Sue are you? Roland Garros red-faced over 43-year trophy error
- 06/10 12:32 Hundreds of Tehran restaurants shut for breaking 'Islamic principles'
- 06/10 12:14 Nepal faces mountainous challenge identifying Everest bodies
- 06/10 12:03 UN envoy Jolie meets Colombian president over Venezuelan migrant kids
- 06/10 11:52 Queen honours 'The Crown' actress Olivia Colman
- 06/10 11:44 Spain's Sagrada Familia gets building permit... after 137 years