The Dugong Show-- 24-hour webcast shows star Thai sea cows
A round-the-clock webcast starring two beloved baby dugongs in Thailand named Mariam and Jamil went live Sunday, allowing a more in-depth look at the celebrity sea cows.
Mariam captured hearts in viral social media posts last month showing her playfully nuzzling up to rescuers in shallow waters off southwestern Thailand, while Jamil washed ashore further up the coast a week ago.
The orphaned dugong duo are being held separately, but anyone with an internet connection can now see them through a 24-hour livestream that uses eight camera angles and scheduled feeding times.
We show them live because we don't want people to disrupt them by going to see them at the current locations, said Kongkiat Kittiwatanawong, director of the Phuket Marine Biological Center.
He added cameras will also help with monitoring their recovery.
A little after 2pm Jamil was seen splashing away in a small pool in the Phuket center.
Normally dugongs don't leave their mothers until they are a little more than a year.
Mariam is female and believed to be about six months old, while Jamil is half her age.
Experts say interest in the dugongs has helped galvanise awareness in ocean conservation.
Both were found in southern Thailand, home to about 250 dugongs, which are closely related to the manatee and classified as vulnerable.
The slow-moving mammals feed on sea grass but are at risk from habitat loss, water pollution, and nets used in fishing.
A Thai Princess gave Jamil his name, which means handsome sea prince in the Yawi language used in southern provinces by Malay Muslims.
The dugongs are the latest marine creatures to make headlines in Thailand, whose plastic-choked waters are also a threat to habitats.
Last year a whale died off the country's coast after swallowing more than 80 plastic bags.
Livestream link: http://mariumthaidugong.dmcr.go.th/
(2019/07/10 08:49)Click Here for Japanese Translation
AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL
- 07/19 09:39 Facing Olympic hotel shortage, Tokyo looks offshore
- 07/19 09:16 Two-headed turtle born in Malaysia
- 07/19 09:03 Instagram hides 'likes' from more users
- 07/19 08:51 Bleating the traffic-- sheep dodge cars in tour around Paris
- 07/19 08:45 Buzz off-- breakthrough technique eradicates mosquitoes
- 07/19 08:32 Inside Notre-Dame-- rubble, emptiness and an immense task ahead
- 07/18 09:47 Comic-Con hits 50-- from hotel basement to Hollywood hangout
- 07/18 09:21 Mickelson 'resets' with six-day fast ahead of British Open
- 07/18 09:10 Techno pioneer Mills says electro music now 'too middle class'
- 07/18 08:58 Red Alert-- record temperatures in world's northernmost settlement
- 07/18 08:49 'Let's see them aliens'-- 1.3 mn people vow to storm classified US base
- 07/18 08:37 Some reef islands resilient to climate change-- study
- 07/17 09:20 'Game of Thrones' breaks record with 32 Emmy nominations
- 07/17 09:02 20mn children not vaccinated in 2018-- UN warns against 'stagnation'
- 07/17 08:53 IKEA closing only US furniture factory, cutting 300 jobs
- 07/17 08:43 Canada's new rules offer extra compensation for passengers bumped by airlines
- 07/17 08:35 Amazon workers strike as 'Prime' shopping frenzy hits
- 07/17 08:27 Off the hook-- Manta ray asks divers for helping hand
- 07/16 09:40 Equality is my cause-- Serena puts legend King in her place
- 07/16 09:30 Aussie kids take stolen car on 1,000-kilometre road trip
- 07/16 09:25 'When they chant Roger, I hear Novak'-- Djokovic admits 'toughest' Wimbledon win
- 07/16 08:56 Most German says Merkel's health is a personal issue
- 07/16 08:46 Egypt opens two ancient pyramids, unveils new finds
- 07/16 08:38 Tourist rush at Australia's Uluru before climb ban
- 07/12 11:20 Mattel unveils David Bowie Barbie doll
- 07/12 09:19 Brain-damaged French patient dies after doctors remove life support-- family
- 07/12 09:01 Argentina World Cup winner Burruchaga's son makes dad 'suffer' at Wimbledon
- 07/12 08:47 'Alexa, my head hurts'-- UK health service signs up Amazon
- 07/12 08:38 Just like humans, gorillas form 'complex societies'
- 07/12 08:29 A man survives plunge over Niagara Falls
- 07/11 09:18 'Oldest remains' outside Africa reset human migration clock
- 07/11 09:04 Serena 'saw therapist' after US Open meltdown, apologises to Osaka
- 07/11 08:50 New Zealand PM's neighbour lets the cat out of the bag
- 07/11 08:39 Feeling mehhh-- goats bleat to reveal their emotions to friends
- 07/11 08:33 Virgin Galactic seeks space tourism boost with market launch
- 07/11 08:27 Light pollution puts Nemo's offspring at risk
- 07/10 09:21 Ross Perot, billionaire who sought presidency, dead at 89
- 07/10 09:07 Indonesia to send 210 tonnes of waste back to Australia
- 07/10 09:00 Clooney to join legal team of Philippine journalist Ressa
- 07/10 08:49 The Dugong Show-- 24-hour webcast shows star Thai sea cows
- 07/10 08:43 Black music fest halts double-price tickets for whites after uproar
- 07/10 08:34 Deforestation + climate change = dead end for wildlife