Clooney to join legal team of Philippine journalist Ressa
Prominent rights lawyer Amal Clooney has said she will join the legal team defending Philippine journalist Maria Ressa, whose news site has repeatedly clashed with President Rodrigo Duterte.
Ressa, who was named a Time Magazine Person of the Year in 2018 for her journalism, faces several criminal charges along with her website Rappler, in what press freedom advocates have branded an act of persecution.
Maria Ressa is a courageous journalist who is being persecuted for reporting the news and standing up to human rights abuses, Clooney said in a statement issued by London's Doughty Street Chambers, where she works, on Monday.
We will pursue all available legal remedies to vindicate her rights and defend press freedom and the rule of law in the Philippines, added the British-Lebanese lawyer.
Clooney will work with a team of international lawyers as counsel to Ressa and coordinate with attorneys in Manila, the statement said.
Ressa was arrested twice this year and has accused Duterte of using prosecutions against her, including ongoing cases of alleged tax evasion and libel, to silence critics and intimidate the press.
Duterte has branded Rappler a fake news outlet and his government insists it is simply enforcing the law as cases pile up against the website publishing reports critical of the president's deadly anti-drug crackdown.
I am delighted that Amal Clooney and her team will be representing me at the international level to challenge the violations of my rights and those of the media organisation I represent, Ressa said in the statement.
Clooney, appointed special envoy for media freedom by the British government, also defended two Reuters journalists jailed for more than 16 months in Myanmar and freed in May.
Clooney's taking on Ressa's case will increase international attention on the journalist and her website, which have received a series of global awards from press freedom advocates.
(2019/07/10 09:00)Click Here for Japanese Translation
AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL
- 07/19 09:39 Facing Olympic hotel shortage, Tokyo looks offshore
- 07/19 09:16 Two-headed turtle born in Malaysia
- 07/19 09:03 Instagram hides 'likes' from more users
- 07/19 08:51 Bleating the traffic-- sheep dodge cars in tour around Paris
- 07/19 08:45 Buzz off-- breakthrough technique eradicates mosquitoes
- 07/19 08:32 Inside Notre-Dame-- rubble, emptiness and an immense task ahead
- 07/18 09:47 Comic-Con hits 50-- from hotel basement to Hollywood hangout
- 07/18 09:21 Mickelson 'resets' with six-day fast ahead of British Open
- 07/18 09:10 Techno pioneer Mills says electro music now 'too middle class'
- 07/18 08:58 Red Alert-- record temperatures in world's northernmost settlement
- 07/18 08:49 'Let's see them aliens'-- 1.3 mn people vow to storm classified US base
- 07/18 08:37 Some reef islands resilient to climate change-- study
- 07/17 09:20 'Game of Thrones' breaks record with 32 Emmy nominations
- 07/17 09:02 20mn children not vaccinated in 2018-- UN warns against 'stagnation'
- 07/17 08:53 IKEA closing only US furniture factory, cutting 300 jobs
- 07/17 08:43 Canada's new rules offer extra compensation for passengers bumped by airlines
- 07/17 08:35 Amazon workers strike as 'Prime' shopping frenzy hits
- 07/17 08:27 Off the hook-- Manta ray asks divers for helping hand
- 07/16 09:40 Equality is my cause-- Serena puts legend King in her place
- 07/16 09:30 Aussie kids take stolen car on 1,000-kilometre road trip
- 07/16 09:25 'When they chant Roger, I hear Novak'-- Djokovic admits 'toughest' Wimbledon win
- 07/16 08:56 Most German says Merkel's health is a personal issue
- 07/16 08:46 Egypt opens two ancient pyramids, unveils new finds
- 07/16 08:38 Tourist rush at Australia's Uluru before climb ban
- 07/12 11:20 Mattel unveils David Bowie Barbie doll
- 07/12 09:19 Brain-damaged French patient dies after doctors remove life support-- family
- 07/12 09:01 Argentina World Cup winner Burruchaga's son makes dad 'suffer' at Wimbledon
- 07/12 08:47 'Alexa, my head hurts'-- UK health service signs up Amazon
- 07/12 08:38 Just like humans, gorillas form 'complex societies'
- 07/12 08:29 A man survives plunge over Niagara Falls
- 07/11 09:18 'Oldest remains' outside Africa reset human migration clock
- 07/11 09:04 Serena 'saw therapist' after US Open meltdown, apologises to Osaka
- 07/11 08:50 New Zealand PM's neighbour lets the cat out of the bag
- 07/11 08:39 Feeling mehhh-- goats bleat to reveal their emotions to friends
- 07/11 08:33 Virgin Galactic seeks space tourism boost with market launch
- 07/11 08:27 Light pollution puts Nemo's offspring at risk
- 07/10 09:21 Ross Perot, billionaire who sought presidency, dead at 89
- 07/10 09:07 Indonesia to send 210 tonnes of waste back to Australia
- 07/10 09:00 Clooney to join legal team of Philippine journalist Ressa
- 07/10 08:49 The Dugong Show-- 24-hour webcast shows star Thai sea cows
- 07/10 08:43 Black music fest halts double-price tickets for whites after uproar
- 07/10 08:34 Deforestation + climate change = dead end for wildlife