Feeling mehhh-- goats bleat to reveal their emotions to friends
Goat bleats not only sound remarkably human, they are also key to revealing feelings to their companions, according to new research that deepens our understanding of the animals' emotional complexity.
As part of a study published in Frontiers of Zoology on Tuesday, scientists played the ruminants a series of calls from a hidden speaker that were either happy or sad.
To obtain the positive calls, they approached goats with buckets of food. For the negative calls, they recorded goats that were frustrated at not being fed while others were.
When they switched from playing one type of bleat to the other, the goats were more likely to look toward the source of the sound and walk about, suggesting they were able to distinguish its emotional content.
What's more, readings of heart-rate variation taken from the goats corresponded to a positive, more relaxed state when they were played the happy calls, and a distressed state when the sad calls were played.
It is quite crucial for us because often we talk about animal welfare and how we can improve the animal life in a farm setting, Luigi Baciadonna, lead author of the study from Queen Mary University of London, told AFP.
It means that if some goats in a group are distressed, or content, that can cause a ripple effect among others.
Baciadonna would next like to investigate whether goats are able to respond to different emotions displayed by humans.
(2019/07/11 08:39)Click Here for Japanese Translation
AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL
- 07/19 09:39 Facing Olympic hotel shortage, Tokyo looks offshore
- 07/19 09:16 Two-headed turtle born in Malaysia
- 07/19 09:03 Instagram hides 'likes' from more users
- 07/19 08:51 Bleating the traffic-- sheep dodge cars in tour around Paris
- 07/19 08:45 Buzz off-- breakthrough technique eradicates mosquitoes
- 07/19 08:32 Inside Notre-Dame-- rubble, emptiness and an immense task ahead
- 07/18 09:47 Comic-Con hits 50-- from hotel basement to Hollywood hangout
- 07/18 09:21 Mickelson 'resets' with six-day fast ahead of British Open
- 07/18 09:10 Techno pioneer Mills says electro music now 'too middle class'
- 07/18 08:58 Red Alert-- record temperatures in world's northernmost settlement
- 07/18 08:49 'Let's see them aliens'-- 1.3 mn people vow to storm classified US base
- 07/18 08:37 Some reef islands resilient to climate change-- study
- 07/17 09:20 'Game of Thrones' breaks record with 32 Emmy nominations
- 07/17 09:02 20mn children not vaccinated in 2018-- UN warns against 'stagnation'
- 07/17 08:53 IKEA closing only US furniture factory, cutting 300 jobs
- 07/17 08:43 Canada's new rules offer extra compensation for passengers bumped by airlines
- 07/17 08:35 Amazon workers strike as 'Prime' shopping frenzy hits
- 07/17 08:27 Off the hook-- Manta ray asks divers for helping hand
- 07/16 09:40 Equality is my cause-- Serena puts legend King in her place
- 07/16 09:30 Aussie kids take stolen car on 1,000-kilometre road trip
- 07/16 09:25 'When they chant Roger, I hear Novak'-- Djokovic admits 'toughest' Wimbledon win
- 07/16 08:56 Most German says Merkel's health is a personal issue
- 07/16 08:46 Egypt opens two ancient pyramids, unveils new finds
- 07/16 08:38 Tourist rush at Australia's Uluru before climb ban
- 07/12 11:20 Mattel unveils David Bowie Barbie doll
- 07/12 09:19 Brain-damaged French patient dies after doctors remove life support-- family
- 07/12 09:01 Argentina World Cup winner Burruchaga's son makes dad 'suffer' at Wimbledon
- 07/12 08:47 'Alexa, my head hurts'-- UK health service signs up Amazon
- 07/12 08:38 Just like humans, gorillas form 'complex societies'
- 07/12 08:29 A man survives plunge over Niagara Falls
- 07/11 09:18 'Oldest remains' outside Africa reset human migration clock
- 07/11 09:04 Serena 'saw therapist' after US Open meltdown, apologises to Osaka
- 07/11 08:50 New Zealand PM's neighbour lets the cat out of the bag
- 07/11 08:39 Feeling mehhh-- goats bleat to reveal their emotions to friends
- 07/11 08:33 Virgin Galactic seeks space tourism boost with market launch
- 07/11 08:27 Light pollution puts Nemo's offspring at risk
- 07/10 09:21 Ross Perot, billionaire who sought presidency, dead at 89
- 07/10 09:07 Indonesia to send 210 tonnes of waste back to Australia
- 07/10 09:00 Clooney to join legal team of Philippine journalist Ressa
- 07/10 08:49 The Dugong Show-- 24-hour webcast shows star Thai sea cows
- 07/10 08:43 Black music fest halts double-price tickets for whites after uproar
- 07/10 08:34 Deforestation + climate change = dead end for wildlife