A man survives plunge over Niagara Falls
A man who was swept over the largest of the Niagara Falls has been recovered alive, found sitting on a rock in the river below with non-life threatening injuries, Canadian police said Wednesday.
Niagara Park police responded to a call at 4:00 am Tuesday about a man in crisis on the brink of Horseshoe Falls, a 188-foot (57-meter) plunge.
When they arrived, the man climbed over a retaining wall into the river and was swept over the waterfall's edge, the police said.
Male was found sitting on rocks after search of lower river w/non life threatening injuries, the police report said.
The man, who was not identified, ended up on the Canadian side of the falls, which straddle the US-Canadian border.
The incident marks the fourth time an adult is known to have survived going over without protection, according to local news accounts.
In addition, in 1960, a seven-year-old boy went over Horseshoe Falls in only a life jacket after a boating accident, and was rescued from the roiling waters below by a life ring thrown from a tour boat.
Some have also survived after going over the falls in barrels or with flotation devices, while others have died in the attempt.
(2019/07/12 08:29)Click Here for Japanese Translation
AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL
- 07/19 09:39 Facing Olympic hotel shortage, Tokyo looks offshore
- 07/19 09:16 Two-headed turtle born in Malaysia
- 07/19 09:03 Instagram hides 'likes' from more users
- 07/19 08:51 Bleating the traffic-- sheep dodge cars in tour around Paris
- 07/19 08:45 Buzz off-- breakthrough technique eradicates mosquitoes
- 07/19 08:32 Inside Notre-Dame-- rubble, emptiness and an immense task ahead
- 07/18 09:47 Comic-Con hits 50-- from hotel basement to Hollywood hangout
- 07/18 09:21 Mickelson 'resets' with six-day fast ahead of British Open
- 07/18 09:10 Techno pioneer Mills says electro music now 'too middle class'
- 07/18 08:58 Red Alert-- record temperatures in world's northernmost settlement
- 07/18 08:49 'Let's see them aliens'-- 1.3 mn people vow to storm classified US base
- 07/18 08:37 Some reef islands resilient to climate change-- study
- 07/17 09:20 'Game of Thrones' breaks record with 32 Emmy nominations
- 07/17 09:02 20mn children not vaccinated in 2018-- UN warns against 'stagnation'
- 07/17 08:53 IKEA closing only US furniture factory, cutting 300 jobs
- 07/17 08:43 Canada's new rules offer extra compensation for passengers bumped by airlines
- 07/17 08:35 Amazon workers strike as 'Prime' shopping frenzy hits
- 07/17 08:27 Off the hook-- Manta ray asks divers for helping hand
- 07/16 09:40 Equality is my cause-- Serena puts legend King in her place
- 07/16 09:30 Aussie kids take stolen car on 1,000-kilometre road trip
- 07/16 09:25 'When they chant Roger, I hear Novak'-- Djokovic admits 'toughest' Wimbledon win
- 07/16 08:56 Most German says Merkel's health is a personal issue
- 07/16 08:46 Egypt opens two ancient pyramids, unveils new finds
- 07/16 08:38 Tourist rush at Australia's Uluru before climb ban
- 07/12 11:20 Mattel unveils David Bowie Barbie doll
- 07/12 09:19 Brain-damaged French patient dies after doctors remove life support-- family
- 07/12 09:01 Argentina World Cup winner Burruchaga's son makes dad 'suffer' at Wimbledon
- 07/12 08:47 'Alexa, my head hurts'-- UK health service signs up Amazon
- 07/12 08:38 Just like humans, gorillas form 'complex societies'
- 07/12 08:29 A man survives plunge over Niagara Falls
- 07/11 09:18 'Oldest remains' outside Africa reset human migration clock
- 07/11 09:04 Serena 'saw therapist' after US Open meltdown, apologises to Osaka
- 07/11 08:50 New Zealand PM's neighbour lets the cat out of the bag
- 07/11 08:39 Feeling mehhh-- goats bleat to reveal their emotions to friends
- 07/11 08:33 Virgin Galactic seeks space tourism boost with market launch
- 07/11 08:27 Light pollution puts Nemo's offspring at risk
- 07/10 09:21 Ross Perot, billionaire who sought presidency, dead at 89
- 07/10 09:07 Indonesia to send 210 tonnes of waste back to Australia
- 07/10 09:00 Clooney to join legal team of Philippine journalist Ressa
- 07/10 08:49 The Dugong Show-- 24-hour webcast shows star Thai sea cows
- 07/10 08:43 Black music fest halts double-price tickets for whites after uproar
- 07/10 08:34 Deforestation + climate change = dead end for wildlife