Elderly skeletal elephant spared Sri Lanka parade
A skeletal 70-year-old elephant has been withdrawn from a high-profile annual Buddhist pageant in Sri Lanka following a social media firestorm against parading the feeble animal.
The chief custodian of the Temple of the Tooth -- which organises the event -- Pradeep Nilanga Dela said Tikiri would not be part of Wednesday's grand finale, involving dozens of jumbos.
Dela said the elephant's medical condition meant her owners told him she would not be part of Kandy city's parade and told AFP by telephone, Tikiri is being treated.
Animal-lovers lambasted the authorities for forcing the aged animal to parade several kilometers (miles) wearing elaborate clothing at the hugely popular night festival.
Asian elephant expert Jayantha Jayewardene described the animal's treatment as inhumane.
Obviously the animal is severely under-nourished, it is close to death, Jayewardene told AFP.
Owners parade their elephants to gain merit for themselves and not for the animal. This should never have been allowed, he said, adding he was relieved she would not be paraded.
Lek Chailert, the founder of the Save Elephant Foundation, said on social media that spectators do not realise how weak Tikiri was because she was covered in an elaborate costume.
No one sees her bony body or her weakened condition, because of her costume, Chailert said. No one sees the tears in her eyes, injured by the bright lights that decorate her mask, no one sees her difficulty to step as her legs are short shackled while she walks.
The Temple of the Tooth, Buddhism's holiest shrine on the island, holds the annual festival with traditional drummers and dancers as well as nearly 100 tamed elephants.
Many rich Sri Lankans keep elephants as pets, but there have been numerous complaints of ill treatment and cruelty.
(2019/08/15 09:04)Click Here for Japanese Translation
AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL
- 08/23 09:28 Gentle giraffes threatened with 'silent extinction'
- 08/23 09:22 Trump takes aim at automakers that ignored his emissions proposal
- 08/23 08:57 Dutch plan big Brexit beach party
- 08/23 08:51 Microplastics in drinking water not a health risk for now-- WHO
- 08/23 08:46 Dwayne Johnson returns to top of Forbes best-paid actor list
- 08/23 08:38 Women to get gender-neutral rugby World Cup from 2021
- 08/22 09:28 Brazilian Elkeson earns China call-up in landmark move
- 08/22 09:04 Saudi Arabia eases travel restrictions on women
- 08/22 08:57 Poo to the rescue-- how fecal transplants can save starving koalas
- 08/22 08:46 Everest region bans single-use plastic
- 08/22 08:36 More than 2,300 tigers killed and trafficked this century-- report
- 08/22 08:29 Marvel films to lose Spider-Man as Sony deal breaks down-- reports
- 08/21 08:44 'Matrix 4' announced with Keanu Reeves to return as Neo
- 08/21 08:42 Donald Trump becomes grandfather for 10th time
- 08/21 08:42 New planet discovered in orbit of young Milky Way star
- 08/21 08:40 European Tour to punish slow play with penalty strokes
- 08/21 08:38 Russian sailor's message in bottle found 50 years later in Alaska
- 08/21 08:37 Pilgrims gather for cosmic-like ritual in Bulgaria's mountains
- 08/20 11:22 Salvador clears rape victim of killing baby-- lawyer
- 08/20 09:26 Mickelson almost misses tee time after hotel 'struck by lightning'
- 08/20 09:13 Obama basketball jersey sells for $120,000
- 08/20 08:55 Migrants' drawings depict their nightmares and best memories
- 08/20 08:30 US power waning in Pacific, warns top Australian think tank
- 08/20 08:24 CO2 row over climate activist Thunberg's yacht trip to New York
- 08/19 11:20 Iceland commemorates first glacier lost to climate change
- 08/19 09:13 Sprinting to the future-- robo-shorts that help runners get ahead
- 08/19 09:02 In today's America plagued by shootings, Woodstock 2.0 unlikely
- 08/19 08:54 Neanderthals also got 'surfer's ear,' suggesting they liked to fish
- 08/19 08:50 The rugby-mad duo cycling from Twickenham to Tokyo
- 08/19 08:38 Microplastics in Arctic snow point to widespread air contamination
- 08/16 09:24 Drug-hit hosts Thailand fail to lift ban for weightlifting worlds
- 08/16 09:16 Employees urge Google not to work with US immigration officials
- 08/16 09:07 Republican lawmaker questions if humans would have survived without rape, incest
- 08/16 08:58 Irishman, 99, competes at world tango championships in Argentina
- 08/16 08:49 NASA descends on Icelandic lava field to prepare for Mars
- 08/16 08:38 Placido Domingo presumed innocent in his native Spain
- 08/15 09:14 Climate activist Greta Thunberg sets sail for NYC
- 08/15 09:04 Elderly skeletal elephant spared Sri Lanka parade
- 08/15 08:58 Disneyland Shanghai sued over 'double standards'
- 08/15 08:51 Climate deniers get more media play than scientists-- study
- 08/15 08:42 Caution-- remove false teeth before surgery
- 08/15 08:32 US immigration chief under fire for twisting Statue of Liberty poem