H&M suspends Brazil leather purchases over Amazon fires
Fashion giant H&M on Thursday announced it was suspending leather purchases from Brazil in response to the Amazon fires that have provoked a global outcry.
The ban comes after US-based VF Corporation, which owns a string of brands including Timberland, Vans and The North Face, announced late last month it would no longer buy leather from Brazil over concerns about the destruction of the world's largest rainforest.
H&M said it was imposing a temporary freeze on orders until it had confidence the leather was not causing environmental harm.
Due to the severe fires in the Brazilian part of the Amazon rainforest, and the connections to cattle production, we have decided to place a temporary ban on leather from Brazil, the Swedish clothing retail firm said in a statement to AFP.
The ban will be active until there are credible assurance systems in place to verify that the leather does not contribute to environmental harm in the Amazon, it said.
The blazes that have engulfed parts of the world's largest rainforest -- crucial for maintaining a stable global climate -- have sparked a diplomatic spat between Brazil and Europe that threatens to torpedo a major trade deal.
French President Emmanuel Macron has accused his Brazilian counterpart Jair Bolsonaro of lying to him about his commitments on climate change and vowed to block the EU-Mercosur trade deal involving Brazil that took decades to negotiate.
Bolsonaro last week signed a decree to ban burning throughout the country for two months.
H&M was last year among dozens of top fashion industry firms to pledge at UN climate talks to reduce their combined greenhouse gas emissions by 30 percent by 2030.
The 43 firms agreed to prioritise climate-friendly materials and low-carbon transport, and to stop installing coal-fired boilers at manufacturing sites from no later than 2025.
(2019/09/09 08:48)Click Here for Japanese Translation
AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL
- 09/17 08:53 Rod Stewart reveals prostate cancer fight
- 09/17 08:45 US park rangers debunk myth on tossing banana peels, apple cores
- 09/17 08:31 Artist hopes gold toilet taken by 'Robin Hood' types
- 09/17 08:23 Turkey says Cyprus 'ghost town' to be opened
- 09/13 12:08 NBA star James backs bill to let college athletes earn endorsement money
- 09/13 11:52 Indonesia forest fires surge, stoking global warming fears
- 09/13 09:21 Mercedes embark on 'new mission' in Formula E
- 09/13 08:56 Silver spoon to silver screen-- Downton Abbey makes cinematic debut
- 09/13 08:36 Maori protest Air NZ bid to trademark 'kia ora' greeting
- 09/13 08:27 Leonardo da Vinci's mechanical lion goes on display in Paris
- 09/12 10:06 Water discovered for first time in atmosphere of habitable exoplanet
- 09/12 09:21 Jordan donates $1 million to Dorian relief
- 09/12 09:01 Take that, rat! New York turns to alcohol in rodent fight
- 09/12 08:47 Shorter people run higher risk of diabetes-- study
- 09/12 08:39 A shocking find-- new high-voltage electric eels revealed
- 09/12 08:31 Climate protesters dye Zurich river green
- 09/11 09:57 Largest flying animal in history identified-- study
- 09/11 09:17 Aussie boy battles to save croc 'friend'
- 09/11 09:07 Following Neanderthals' footsteps to learn how they lived
- 09/11 08:55 NBA banning 'ninja-style' headbands - report
- 09/11 08:36 Australia girds for worst as bushfire season comes early
- 09/11 08:30 AI as good as Mahler? Austrian orchestra performs symphony with twist
- 09/10 12:02 AFP joins BBC initiative to fight misinformation
- 09/10 11:19 AFP photographer wins top photojournalism award
- 09/10 09:45 Ex N.Korea prisoner says he was CIA spy-- German media
- 09/10 09:25 Medvedev proud as 'amazing summer' ends with US Open final defeat
- 09/10 08:50 Pakistan sentences three in infamous wedding video killing
- 09/10 08:29 President Macron apologised for 'scandalous anthem gaffe'-- Albanian PM
- 09/09 11:24 Flies overwhelm Pakistan's Karachi in monsoon 'hell'
- 09/09 09:37 'Deepfake challenge' aims to find tools to fight manipulation
- 09/09 09:16 Fans flock to 'Downton Abbey' castle ahead of film debut
- 09/09 08:58 Austrian football stadium turned into a forest
- 09/09 08:48 H&M suspends Brazil leather purchases over Amazon fires
- 09/09 08:41 French rooster triumphs in battle over right to crow