Jordan donates $1 million to Dorian relief
NBA legend Michael Jordan is donating $1 million to help relief efforts in the hurricane-battered Bahamas, his spokeswoman said Tuesday.
In a statement on Twitter, Charlotte Hornets owner Jordan said he was devastated at the destruction unleashed by Hurricane Dorian on the Caribbean archipelago.
At least 50 people have died and several thousand across the island nation have been evacuated.
I am devastated to see the destruction that Hurricane Dorian has brought to the Bahamas, where I own property and visit frequently, Jordan said in a statement announcing his pledge.
My heart goes out to everyone who is suffering and to those who have lost loved ones, he added.
Jordan said he aimed to distribute funds to non-profit agencies in the region where the money would have the most impact.
The Bahamian people are strong and resilient and I hope that my donation will be of help as they work to recover from this catastrophic storm, he added.
Jordan, 56, has donated to relief efforts in the past, pledging $2 million to help with the aftermath of Hurricane Florence which lashed the Carolinas last year.
Jordan is widely regarded as the one of the greatest basketball players of all time, winning six NBA titles before retiring and eventually becoming owner of the Hornets.
(2019/09/12 09:21)Click Here for Japanese Translation
AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL
- 09/17 08:53 Rod Stewart reveals prostate cancer fight
- 09/17 08:45 US park rangers debunk myth on tossing banana peels, apple cores
- 09/17 08:31 Artist hopes gold toilet taken by 'Robin Hood' types
- 09/17 08:23 Turkey says Cyprus 'ghost town' to be opened
- 09/13 12:08 NBA star James backs bill to let college athletes earn endorsement money
- 09/13 11:52 Indonesia forest fires surge, stoking global warming fears
- 09/13 09:21 Mercedes embark on 'new mission' in Formula E
- 09/13 08:56 Silver spoon to silver screen-- Downton Abbey makes cinematic debut
- 09/13 08:36 Maori protest Air NZ bid to trademark 'kia ora' greeting
- 09/13 08:27 Leonardo da Vinci's mechanical lion goes on display in Paris
- 09/12 10:06 Water discovered for first time in atmosphere of habitable exoplanet
- 09/12 09:21 Jordan donates $1 million to Dorian relief
- 09/12 09:01 Take that, rat! New York turns to alcohol in rodent fight
- 09/12 08:47 Shorter people run higher risk of diabetes-- study
- 09/12 08:39 A shocking find-- new high-voltage electric eels revealed
- 09/12 08:31 Climate protesters dye Zurich river green
- 09/11 09:57 Largest flying animal in history identified-- study
- 09/11 09:17 Aussie boy battles to save croc 'friend'
- 09/11 09:07 Following Neanderthals' footsteps to learn how they lived
- 09/11 08:55 NBA banning 'ninja-style' headbands - report
- 09/11 08:36 Australia girds for worst as bushfire season comes early
- 09/11 08:30 AI as good as Mahler? Austrian orchestra performs symphony with twist
- 09/10 12:02 AFP joins BBC initiative to fight misinformation
- 09/10 11:19 AFP photographer wins top photojournalism award
- 09/10 09:45 Ex N.Korea prisoner says he was CIA spy-- German media
- 09/10 09:25 Medvedev proud as 'amazing summer' ends with US Open final defeat
- 09/10 08:50 Pakistan sentences three in infamous wedding video killing
- 09/10 08:29 President Macron apologised for 'scandalous anthem gaffe'-- Albanian PM
- 09/09 11:24 Flies overwhelm Pakistan's Karachi in monsoon 'hell'
- 09/09 09:37 'Deepfake challenge' aims to find tools to fight manipulation
- 09/09 09:16 Fans flock to 'Downton Abbey' castle ahead of film debut
- 09/09 08:58 Austrian football stadium turned into a forest
- 09/09 08:48 H&M suspends Brazil leather purchases over Amazon fires
- 09/09 08:41 French rooster triumphs in battle over right to crow