New EU president to sleep in her office
The EU's incoming president Ursula von der Leyen plans to live in a tiny flat attached to her Brussels office rather than rent an apartment, her staff told AFP on Thursday.
The president of the European Commission has no official residence -- a fact that irked von der Leyen's predecessor Jean-Claude Juncker, who complained to a German newspaper that he was forced to live in a hotel suite at a cost of 3,250 euros ($3,560) a month.
Instead von der Leyen is having a 25-square-metre (270-square-foot) room next to her office on the 13th floor of the commission's Berlaymont building converted so she can sleep there during the week.
She followed a similar practice as German defence minister, staying in her Berlin office and returning to her family home near Hanover at weekends.
- Main residence in Germany -
An official close to von der Leyen said living in the highly-secured Berlaymont would save the cost of guarding a separate apartment. It would also mean she would not be caught up in Brussels' notorious rush-hour traffic and risking being late for work.
We can confirm that the President-elect would like to use an existing personal retreat next to the president's office to stay overnight during her days in Brussels, the official said, confirming a report in the German newspaper Die Welt.
Her main residence was always and remains Hanover in Germany, the official said.
On top of her 28,000-euro monthly salary as commission president, von der Leyen receives an accommodation allowance of 4,185 euros. It was not immediately clear if she would continue to claim this while living in her office.
Von der Leyen starts her job at the helm of the European Commission in November. One of her top priorities is moving Europe towards a carbon-neutral future.
Earlier this year Juncker lamented his lack of official residence in an interview with Germany's Bild newspaper, saying he could not invite world leaders back and talk to them sitting on the bed in his hotel.
The former Luxembourg premier said NATO chief Jens Stoltenberg would sometimes invite him and EU Council President Donald Tusk to stay in his grace and favour residence when we need a rest.
(2019/10/09 16:16)Click Here for Japanese Translation
AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL
- 10/11 12:01 Google yanks Hong Kong protester role-playing app
- 10/11 09:46 Halle gunman's fumbling, furious assault caught on camera
- 10/11 09:32 Gauff, 15, reaches first WTA quarter-final, youngest since 2005
- 10/11 08:58 Tourists surge at Uluru before Australia bans climb
- 10/11 08:49 Humans will not 'migrate' to other planets, Nobel winner says
- 10/11 08:40 Trade wars lose US its competitiveness top spot-- WEF
- 10/10 09:47 Despite consequences, NBA boss defends values in China row
- 10/10 09:17 Persistent trade tensions risk worsening poverty-- World Bank
- 10/10 09:00 From 'weirdo' PhD stargazer to Nobel Physics laureate
- 10/10 08:47 UK winner pockets 190-million-euro jackpot
- 10/10 08:40 Mystery oil spills blot more than 130 Brazilian beaches
- 10/10 08:31 Ibrahimovic unveils larger than life statue in hometown
- 10/09 16:16 New EU president to sleep in her office
- 10/09 10:04 Time is money-- Paris thief swipes $840k watch from Japanese man's wrist
- 10/09 09:28 'South Park' creators issue mock apology over China censorship
- 10/09 09:15 In Brazil, sumo looks to break through
- 10/09 08:48 Gene-edited livestock carry huge promise but major pitfalls
- 10/09 08:35 Porn, politics are key targets in 'deepfakes'-- study
- 10/08 10:00 Youth activists like Greta Thunberg deserve Nobel nod-- 2011 laureate
- 10/08 09:04 Putin puts on birthday show gathering mushrooms
- 10/08 08:57 Israel unveils remains of 5,000-year-old city
- 10/08 08:49 Pope blames Amazon fires on destructive 'interests'
- 10/08 08:40 GM strike negotiations take 'turn for the worse'-- union
- 10/08 08:33 Moulin Rouge dancers take it to the street for 130th birthday
- 10/07 12:30 Thousands protest French IVF law for single women, lesbians
- 10/07 11:54 Spokesman defends dishevelled Duterte as 'very hygienic'
- 10/07 11:48 Six wild elephants drown after slipping off waterfall in Thai park
- 10/07 11:30 'Biles II' and 'The Biles'-- US gymnastics star is name of game at worlds
- 10/07 11:26 Climate activists occupy Paris mall as global Extinction Rebellion protests begin
- 10/07 11:21 Ginger Baker, drummer with rock legends Cream, dies aged 80