Humans will not 'migrate' to other planets, Nobel winner says
Humans will never migrate to a planet outside of Earth's solar system because it would take far too long to get there, Swiss Nobel laureate Michel Mayor said Wednesday.
Mayor and his colleague Didier Queloz were on Tuesday awarded the Nobel Prize for Physics for their research refining techniques to detect so-called exoplanets.
If we are talking about exoplanets, things should be clear: we will not migrate there, Mayor told AFP near Madrid on the sidelines of a conference when asked about the possibility of humans moving to other planets.
These planets are much, much too far away. Even in the very optimistic case of a livable planet that is not too far, say a few dozen light years, which is not a lot, it's in the neighbourhood, the time to go there is considerable, he added.
We are talking about hundreds of millions of days using the means we have available today. We must take care of our planet, it is very beautiful and still absolutely liveable.
The 77-year-old said he felt the need to kill all the statements that say 'OK, we will go to a liveable planet if one day life is not possible on earth'.
It's completely crazy, he added.
Using custom-made instruments at their observatory in southern France, Mayor and Queloz in October 1995 discovered what had previously only existed in the realm of science fiction -- a planet outside Earth's solar system.
Mayor was a professor at Geneva University and Queloz was his doctorate student, when they made the discovery which started a revolution in astronomy. Since then over 4,000 exoplanets have been found in our home galaxy.
It was a very old question which was debated by philosophers: are there other worlds in the Universe?, Mayor said.
We look for planets which are the closest (to us), which could resemble Earth. Together with my colleague we started this search for planets, we showed it was possible to study them.
Mayor said it was up to the next generation to answer the question of whether there is life on other planets.
We don't know! The only way to do it is to develop techniques that would allow us to detect life at a distance, he said.
(2019/10/11 08:49)Click Here for Japanese Translation
AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL
- 10/11 12:01 Google yanks Hong Kong protester role-playing app
- 10/11 09:46 Halle gunman's fumbling, furious assault caught on camera
- 10/11 09:32 Gauff, 15, reaches first WTA quarter-final, youngest since 2005
- 10/11 08:58 Tourists surge at Uluru before Australia bans climb
- 10/11 08:49 Humans will not 'migrate' to other planets, Nobel winner says
- 10/11 08:40 Trade wars lose US its competitiveness top spot-- WEF
- 10/10 09:47 Despite consequences, NBA boss defends values in China row
- 10/10 09:17 Persistent trade tensions risk worsening poverty-- World Bank
- 10/10 09:00 From 'weirdo' PhD stargazer to Nobel Physics laureate
- 10/10 08:47 UK winner pockets 190-million-euro jackpot
- 10/10 08:40 Mystery oil spills blot more than 130 Brazilian beaches
- 10/10 08:31 Ibrahimovic unveils larger than life statue in hometown
- 10/09 16:16 New EU president to sleep in her office
- 10/09 10:04 Time is money-- Paris thief swipes $840k watch from Japanese man's wrist
- 10/09 09:28 'South Park' creators issue mock apology over China censorship
- 10/09 09:15 In Brazil, sumo looks to break through
- 10/09 08:48 Gene-edited livestock carry huge promise but major pitfalls
- 10/09 08:35 Porn, politics are key targets in 'deepfakes'-- study
- 10/08 10:00 Youth activists like Greta Thunberg deserve Nobel nod-- 2011 laureate
- 10/08 09:04 Putin puts on birthday show gathering mushrooms
- 10/08 08:57 Israel unveils remains of 5,000-year-old city
- 10/08 08:49 Pope blames Amazon fires on destructive 'interests'
- 10/08 08:40 GM strike negotiations take 'turn for the worse'-- union
- 10/08 08:33 Moulin Rouge dancers take it to the street for 130th birthday
- 10/07 12:30 Thousands protest French IVF law for single women, lesbians
- 10/07 11:54 Spokesman defends dishevelled Duterte as 'very hygienic'
- 10/07 11:48 Six wild elephants drown after slipping off waterfall in Thai park
- 10/07 11:30 'Biles II' and 'The Biles'-- US gymnastics star is name of game at worlds
- 10/07 11:26 Climate activists occupy Paris mall as global Extinction Rebellion protests begin
- 10/07 11:21 Ginger Baker, drummer with rock legends Cream, dies aged 80