New battery design can charge an electric car in 10 minutes
Ten minutes charging time to add 200 miles of driving range: scientists in the US have claimed a technological breakthrough that could resolve one of the key concerns surrounding all-electric vehicles.
Writing in the journal Joule on Wednesday, researchers at The Pennsylvania State University said that such a speedy charge rate required a battery to rapidly take in 400 kilowatts of energy.
Current generation vehicles are not capable of this feat as it risks the lithium plating, the formation of metallic lithium around the anode, which would severely deteriorate battery life.
To get around this constraint, the researchers raised the temperature of their experimental battery to 60 degrees Celsius during the charge cycle, then lowered it back down as it was used.
What this does is limit the battery's exposure to the elevated charge temperature, thus generating a very long cycle life, said senior author Chao-Yang Wang, a mechanical engineer at The Pennsylvania State University.
But scaling up the design and bringing it to market may take a decade, Rick Sachleben, a member of the American Chemical Society told AFP.
Makers will need to make sure that rapidly raising the temperature is safe and stable, and doesn't lead to explosions given the phenomenal amount of energy that is being transferred.
Fast charging is one of the holy grails of electric vehicles, he said. It's one of the things that is necessary for them to compete with petroleum-fueled internal combustion engines.
Current generation Tesla vehicles require about 30 minutes for a partial charge.
(2019/11/05 09:46)Click Here for Japanese Translation
AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL
- 11/12 10:04 Vietnam deer rediscovered after nearly 30 years
- 11/12 09:20 Britain's KSI edges Paul as YouTubers fight show a hit
- 11/12 09:05 Mothers-to-be fear for their unborn in smog-choked Delhi
- 11/12 08:49 Thousands join French march against Islamophobia
- 11/12 08:41 From a gravel pitch to glory-- world champion Kolisi comes home
- 11/12 08:25 Russia releases last belugas from 'whale jail'
- 11/11 09:27 Americans have more debt, need family help to buy homes-- report
- 11/11 09:13 Actress Haenel hailed for breaking France's #MeToo 'silence'
- 11/11 09:02 Pupils learn to assemble AK-47 rifles as Russia marks Kalashnikov's centenary
- 11/11 08:46 French woman told not French enough for Quebec residency
- 11/11 08:39 E-cigs may damage the heart, study says
- 11/11 08:30 Russian goat who made unlikely friends with tiger dies
- 11/08 10:40 US lab identifies rare new HIV strain
- 11/08 09:30 Chinese experts to help in Notre-Dame reconstruction
- 11/08 09:00 China imposes curfew on minors in gaming crackdown
- 11/08 08:50 Huge trove of mammoth skeletons found in Mexico
- 11/08 08:44 Pangolins threatened by criminal networks in southern Africa
- 11/08 08:34 James Dean 'cast' in new movie, 64 years after death
- 11/07 09:37 Malaysia hands jail term to laundrette cat killer
- 11/07 09:21 Software behind self-driving Uber crash didn't recognize jaywalkers
- 11/07 09:12 Lost pup turns out to be a rare purebred dingo
- 11/07 09:04 'Help! What is this?' Net users take to Reddit for STD diagnosis
- 11/07 08:52 Australia's women and men footballers to get equal pay
- 11/07 08:43 French film icon Catherine Deneuve suffers stroke
- 11/06 15:57 Brown loyal to Japan's Joseph, rejects All Blacks offers
- 11/06 15:40 Trump Jr releases provocative book defending father
- 11/06 09:14 Neymar escapes with warning over Cup final fan slap
- 11/06 09:03 French Resistance figure Yvette Lundy dies aged 103
- 11/06 08:55 42 years on, Voyager 2 charts interstellar space
- 11/06 08:34 US telecom regulator approves T-Mobile/Sprint merger
- 11/05 09:46 New battery design can charge an electric car in 10 minutes
- 11/05 09:22 Holocaust survivors meet their saviour 75 years later
- 11/05 09:09 They'll be first-time voters in 2020 and they're all in for Trump
- 11/05 08:48 A year before 2020 election, a divided and 'angry' America
- 11/05 08:39 Boat stuck above Niagara Falls for over a century moves downriver
- 11/05 08:31 Bursting at the seams-- inside an IS prison in Syria