Software behind self-driving Uber crash didn't recognize jaywalkers
An Uber self-driving car that struck and killed a woman last year in Arizona failed to recognize her as a pedestrian because she was jaywalking, US transport regulators said Tuesday.
The woman had been crossing the street at a location without a crosswalk; the system design did not include a consideration for jaywalking pedestrians, the US National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) said in a statement.
In a preliminary report, the NTSB had already determined that the car's software spotted the 49-year-old woman nearly six seconds before the vehicle hit her, as she walked across the street at night with her bicycle in Tempe, a suburb of Phoenix.
According to the latest report, which was issued ahead of a November 19 hearing to officially determine the accident's cause, the system at no time classified her as a pedestrian but rather, considered her an object.
When the software determined that a collision was imminent approximately 1.2 seconds before impact, it suppressed any extreme braking or steering actions to reduce the potential for erratic vehicle behavior.
It did, however, produce an auditory alert to the vehicle operator as it initiated a plan for the vehicle slowdown.
Following the March 2018 accident, Uber suspended its autonomous driving testing in all locations in the United States but resumed the program several months later.
The company has assured the NTSB that new technology in the cars will correctly recognize pedestrians in similar situations and trigger braking more than four seconds before impact.
According to the report, 37 crashes involving Uber automatic test vehicles operating in autonomous mode occurred between September 2016 and March 2018, excluding the Arizona crash.
(2019/11/07 09:21)Click Here for Japanese Translation
AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL
- 11/12 10:04 Vietnam deer rediscovered after nearly 30 years
- 11/12 09:20 Britain's KSI edges Paul as YouTubers fight show a hit
- 11/12 09:05 Mothers-to-be fear for their unborn in smog-choked Delhi
- 11/12 08:49 Thousands join French march against Islamophobia
- 11/12 08:41 From a gravel pitch to glory-- world champion Kolisi comes home
- 11/12 08:25 Russia releases last belugas from 'whale jail'
- 11/11 09:27 Americans have more debt, need family help to buy homes-- report
- 11/11 09:13 Actress Haenel hailed for breaking France's #MeToo 'silence'
- 11/11 09:02 Pupils learn to assemble AK-47 rifles as Russia marks Kalashnikov's centenary
- 11/11 08:46 French woman told not French enough for Quebec residency
- 11/11 08:39 E-cigs may damage the heart, study says
- 11/11 08:30 Russian goat who made unlikely friends with tiger dies
- 11/08 10:40 US lab identifies rare new HIV strain
- 11/08 09:30 Chinese experts to help in Notre-Dame reconstruction
- 11/08 09:00 China imposes curfew on minors in gaming crackdown
- 11/08 08:50 Huge trove of mammoth skeletons found in Mexico
- 11/08 08:44 Pangolins threatened by criminal networks in southern Africa
- 11/08 08:34 James Dean 'cast' in new movie, 64 years after death
- 11/07 09:37 Malaysia hands jail term to laundrette cat killer
- 11/07 09:21 Software behind self-driving Uber crash didn't recognize jaywalkers
- 11/07 09:12 Lost pup turns out to be a rare purebred dingo
- 11/07 09:04 'Help! What is this?' Net users take to Reddit for STD diagnosis
- 11/07 08:52 Australia's women and men footballers to get equal pay
- 11/07 08:43 French film icon Catherine Deneuve suffers stroke
- 11/06 15:57 Brown loyal to Japan's Joseph, rejects All Blacks offers
- 11/06 15:40 Trump Jr releases provocative book defending father
- 11/06 09:14 Neymar escapes with warning over Cup final fan slap
- 11/06 09:03 French Resistance figure Yvette Lundy dies aged 103
- 11/06 08:55 42 years on, Voyager 2 charts interstellar space
- 11/06 08:34 US telecom regulator approves T-Mobile/Sprint merger
- 11/05 09:46 New battery design can charge an electric car in 10 minutes
- 11/05 09:22 Holocaust survivors meet their saviour 75 years later
- 11/05 09:09 They'll be first-time voters in 2020 and they're all in for Trump
- 11/05 08:48 A year before 2020 election, a divided and 'angry' America
- 11/05 08:39 Boat stuck above Niagara Falls for over a century moves downriver
- 11/05 08:31 Bursting at the seams-- inside an IS prison in Syria