James Dean 'cast' in new movie, 64 years after death
More than 60 years after his death, movie legend James Dean is set to return to the screen thanks to special effects that recreate his image from old footage and photographs.
Dean, who died aged 24 in a car crash in 1955, has been posthumously cast in Vietnam War action-drama Finding Jack, the Hollywood Reporter said Wednesday.
Production house Magic City Films obtained the rights to use Dean's image from his family for the screen adaption of Gareth Crocker?s 2008 novel.
The book tells the story of US military dogs that were deployed and later abandoned in Vietnam.
Dean became a global star in the 1950s, acting in Rebel Without a Cause and East of Eden before his life was cut short, though he has remained a celebrated youth icon and an enduring heartthrob.
His part in the new film is as Rogan, described as a secondary lead role.
We searched high and low for the perfect character to portray the role of Rogan, which has some extreme complex character arcs, and after months of research, we decided on James Dean, said co-director Anton Ernst.
We feel very honored that his family supports us and will take every precaution to ensure that his legacy as one of the most epic film stars to date is kept firmly intact.
Dean's image will be created through computer-generated imagery (CGI) using archive footage and photos, while another actor will provide his voice.
But the concept was not greeted with universal acclaim, with Captain America star Chris Evans tweeting: This is awful. Maybe we can get a computer to paint us a new Picasso.
The complete lack of understanding here is shameful.
The film, which is to go into production shortly, is due for release next November.
Its makers hope the technology will be used to bring other deceased stars back on screen in new roles.
(2019/11/08 08:34)Click Here for Japanese Translation
AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL
- 11/12 10:04 Vietnam deer rediscovered after nearly 30 years
- 11/12 09:20 Britain's KSI edges Paul as YouTubers fight show a hit
- 11/12 09:05 Mothers-to-be fear for their unborn in smog-choked Delhi
- 11/12 08:49 Thousands join French march against Islamophobia
- 11/12 08:41 From a gravel pitch to glory-- world champion Kolisi comes home
- 11/12 08:25 Russia releases last belugas from 'whale jail'
- 11/11 09:27 Americans have more debt, need family help to buy homes-- report
- 11/11 09:13 Actress Haenel hailed for breaking France's #MeToo 'silence'
- 11/11 09:02 Pupils learn to assemble AK-47 rifles as Russia marks Kalashnikov's centenary
- 11/11 08:46 French woman told not French enough for Quebec residency
- 11/11 08:39 E-cigs may damage the heart, study says
- 11/11 08:30 Russian goat who made unlikely friends with tiger dies
- 11/08 10:40 US lab identifies rare new HIV strain
- 11/08 09:30 Chinese experts to help in Notre-Dame reconstruction
- 11/08 09:00 China imposes curfew on minors in gaming crackdown
- 11/08 08:50 Huge trove of mammoth skeletons found in Mexico
- 11/08 08:44 Pangolins threatened by criminal networks in southern Africa
- 11/08 08:34 James Dean 'cast' in new movie, 64 years after death
- 11/07 09:37 Malaysia hands jail term to laundrette cat killer
- 11/07 09:21 Software behind self-driving Uber crash didn't recognize jaywalkers
- 11/07 09:12 Lost pup turns out to be a rare purebred dingo
- 11/07 09:04 'Help! What is this?' Net users take to Reddit for STD diagnosis
- 11/07 08:52 Australia's women and men footballers to get equal pay
- 11/07 08:43 French film icon Catherine Deneuve suffers stroke
- 11/06 15:57 Brown loyal to Japan's Joseph, rejects All Blacks offers
- 11/06 15:40 Trump Jr releases provocative book defending father
- 11/06 09:14 Neymar escapes with warning over Cup final fan slap
- 11/06 09:03 French Resistance figure Yvette Lundy dies aged 103
- 11/06 08:55 42 years on, Voyager 2 charts interstellar space
- 11/06 08:34 US telecom regulator approves T-Mobile/Sprint merger
- 11/05 09:46 New battery design can charge an electric car in 10 minutes
- 11/05 09:22 Holocaust survivors meet their saviour 75 years later
- 11/05 09:09 They'll be first-time voters in 2020 and they're all in for Trump
- 11/05 08:48 A year before 2020 election, a divided and 'angry' America
- 11/05 08:39 Boat stuck above Niagara Falls for over a century moves downriver
- 11/05 08:31 Bursting at the seams-- inside an IS prison in Syria