Fragment of Jesus' manger arrives in Bethlehem
A wooden fragment believed to be from the manger of Jesus arrived in his birthplace of Bethlehem on Saturday amid great ceremony after more than 1,300 years in Europe.
A Palestinian scout band playing bagpipes, drums and saxophones accompanied the relic as it arrived in Manger Square, an AFP reporter said.
Housed in Rome since the seventh century, the relic had been presented to the Franciscan custodians of the Holy Land as a gift from the Vatican.
Worshippers thronged the square as the chief custodian for the Holy Land, Francesco Patton, carried the ornate reliquary housing the relic into the Saint Catherine Church next to the Church of the Nativity, where he led mass.
On Friday Patton told AFP that the seventh-century Latin Patriarch of Jerusalem, Sophronius, had sent the relic to Rome in around 640 as a gift to Pope Theodore I.
Now the item, about a centimetre wide by 2.5 centimetres (an inch) long, is to be installed for ever in Bethlehem, he said.
We venerate the relic because (it) reminds us of the mystery of incarnation, to the fact that the son of God was born of Mary in Bethlehem more than 2,000 years ago, Patton said.
Bethlehem has planned celebrations stretching until Christmas for the homecoming.
Palestinian president Mahmud Abbas had asked Pope Francis to repatriate the crib fragment during his visit to the Vatican for Middle East peace talks in December 2018, said Palestinian envoy to the Holy See, Issa Kassissieh.
(2019/12/02 08:54)Click Here for Japanese Translation
AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL
- 12/09 14:40 'Star Trek' actor Rene Auberjonois dead at age 79
- 12/09 14:09 Russia to discover sporting fate as WADA meets
- 12/09 11:43 'Sesame Street' puppeteer Caroll Spinney -- aka Big Bird -- dies at 85
- 12/09 11:35 Pearl Harbor veteran interred on sunken ship
- 12/09 11:25 Man eats $120,000 piece of art -- a banana taped to wall
- 12/09 11:19 Rising US rap artist Juice WRLD dies at 21-- reports
- 12/06 12:18 Wanted Indian guru resurfaces to announce new cosmic country
- 12/06 09:24 TikTok drops 'blunt' cyberbullying policy
- 12/06 09:13 France pledges hate crime office after Jewish cemetery desecrated
- 12/06 09:04 Sun yields its secrets to Parker Solar Probe
- 12/06 08:43 S.Africa's Tutu hospitalised for 'infection'
- 12/06 08:35 Instagram to require birth dates in move to block underage use
- 12/05 13:00 New York considers 'virginity test' ban after rapper sparks uproar
- 12/05 09:15 Early cholesterol treatment lowers heart disease risk-- study
- 12/05 09:06 Protests send Hong Kongers to Taiwan in search of new lives
- 12/05 08:51 Aegean volunteers battle to turn plastic waste tide
- 12/05 08:42 Scientists slam Chinese CRISPR babies research after manuscript released
- 12/05 08:29 Scientists search the wild for food plant genes
- 12/04 10:49 Rare Gauguin fetches 9.5 mn euros at Paris auction
- 12/04 09:54 India gangrape protests mount as schoolgirl killed
- 12/04 09:24 Greek hologram billionaire told to pay $58m in harassment case
- 12/04 09:13 Nepal's mass animal slaughter begins despite outcry
- 12/04 09:00 Drones show Greenland ice sheet fracturing in real time
- 12/04 08:50 English club set to bamboo-zle the opposition
- 12/03 10:42 Prince Andrew accuser slams 'ridiculous excuses'
- 12/03 09:37 Hot weather linked to rise in early childbirth-- study
- 12/03 09:17 Malaysia slams tattoo expo as 'porn' over half-naked pics
- 12/03 09:03 China introduces mandatory face scans for phone users
- 12/03 08:55 Toxin-laced bubbles cause pollution hazard on Indian beach
- 12/03 08:45 Fury over Charlie Hebdo cartoons on French army deaths
- 12/02 13:10 UN chief says humanity's 'war against nature' must stop
- 12/02 09:41 Hillsborough disaster commander cleared of manslaughter
- 12/02 09:18 In US, climate anxiety churns up psychological storm
- 12/02 09:01 Zimbabwe facing 'man-made' starvation, UN expert warns
- 12/02 08:54 Fragment of Jesus' manger arrives in Bethlehem
- 12/02 08:43 Amazon fires 'quicken Andean glacier melt'