Malaysia slams tattoo expo as 'porn' over half-naked pics
Malaysian officials on Monday slammed a tattoo exhibition held in the country as porn unsuitable for a Muslim-majority country, after images of half-naked men and women went viral.
The Tattoo Malaysia Expo in the capital Kuala Lumpur attracted people from all over the world, and photos circulating online showed many heavily-inked participants wearing few clothes in order to display their designs.
The tourism minister had initially supported the three-day show which ended Sunday but after seeing the pictures said it did not reflect the Southeast Asian nation's polite and decent culture.
It is impossible for the ministry to approve of any programme that contains porn such as this, Tourism Minister Mohammadin Ketapi said in a statement.
This is not Malaysian culture, the majority of the population are Muslims.
He ordered a probe and warned the government could take legal action against the organisers.
Authorities added they had not given approval for half-naked parades and international tattoo shows previously held on the Malaysian part of Borneo island did not include any nudity.
Some 60 percent of the country's 32 million people are Muslim, but critics say that a traditionally tolerant brand of Islam has been eroded by creeping religious conservatism.
Government officials tend to be conservative, and rights groups say minority groups -- ranging from Muslim Shiites to gays -- face growing pressure from authorities.
(2019/12/03 09:17)Click Here for Japanese Translation
AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL
- 12/09 14:40 'Star Trek' actor Rene Auberjonois dead at age 79
- 12/09 14:09 Russia to discover sporting fate as WADA meets
- 12/09 11:43 'Sesame Street' puppeteer Caroll Spinney -- aka Big Bird -- dies at 85
- 12/09 11:35 Pearl Harbor veteran interred on sunken ship
- 12/09 11:25 Man eats $120,000 piece of art -- a banana taped to wall
- 12/09 11:19 Rising US rap artist Juice WRLD dies at 21-- reports
- 12/06 12:18 Wanted Indian guru resurfaces to announce new cosmic country
- 12/06 09:24 TikTok drops 'blunt' cyberbullying policy
- 12/06 09:13 France pledges hate crime office after Jewish cemetery desecrated
- 12/06 09:04 Sun yields its secrets to Parker Solar Probe
- 12/06 08:43 S.Africa's Tutu hospitalised for 'infection'
- 12/06 08:35 Instagram to require birth dates in move to block underage use
- 12/05 13:00 New York considers 'virginity test' ban after rapper sparks uproar
- 12/05 09:15 Early cholesterol treatment lowers heart disease risk-- study
- 12/05 09:06 Protests send Hong Kongers to Taiwan in search of new lives
- 12/05 08:51 Aegean volunteers battle to turn plastic waste tide
- 12/05 08:42 Scientists slam Chinese CRISPR babies research after manuscript released
- 12/05 08:29 Scientists search the wild for food plant genes
- 12/04 10:49 Rare Gauguin fetches 9.5 mn euros at Paris auction
- 12/04 09:54 India gangrape protests mount as schoolgirl killed
- 12/04 09:24 Greek hologram billionaire told to pay $58m in harassment case
- 12/04 09:13 Nepal's mass animal slaughter begins despite outcry
- 12/04 09:00 Drones show Greenland ice sheet fracturing in real time
- 12/04 08:50 English club set to bamboo-zle the opposition
- 12/03 10:42 Prince Andrew accuser slams 'ridiculous excuses'
- 12/03 09:37 Hot weather linked to rise in early childbirth-- study
- 12/03 09:17 Malaysia slams tattoo expo as 'porn' over half-naked pics
- 12/03 09:03 China introduces mandatory face scans for phone users
- 12/03 08:55 Toxin-laced bubbles cause pollution hazard on Indian beach
- 12/03 08:45 Fury over Charlie Hebdo cartoons on French army deaths
- 12/02 13:10 UN chief says humanity's 'war against nature' must stop
- 12/02 09:41 Hillsborough disaster commander cleared of manslaughter
- 12/02 09:18 In US, climate anxiety churns up psychological storm
- 12/02 09:01 Zimbabwe facing 'man-made' starvation, UN expert warns
- 12/02 08:54 Fragment of Jesus' manger arrives in Bethlehem
- 12/02 08:43 Amazon fires 'quicken Andean glacier melt'