Naked fugitive found in croc-infested northern Australia waters
A naked fugitive hiding out in trees above crocodile-infested waters has been discovered by a pair of fishermen, after spending days surviving on snails in swampy mangroves in Australia's far north.
Kevin Joiner and Cam Faust found the naked man, covered in mud and mosquito bites calling for help, on Sunday afternoon while fishing near Darwin, according to local media.
We didn't understand how he got there, Joiner told Nine News on Wednesday.
We thought he just must have had a big night after New Year's ... and done himself a mischief in the bush.
The man was dehydrated and needed help, so the pair took him aboard, offered him a pair of shorts, a beer and drove him back to Darwin, Joiner said.
But once the man arrived at the hospital, police placed him under arrest for allegedly skipping bail on armed robbery offences.
His rescuers said he had told them he became lost while walking in the area and they were surprised by his alleged crimes.
We were going to visit him in hospital, and then we found that out, and we thought, 'we might give that one a miss, Faust said.
Northern Territory Northern Watch Commander Len Turner confirmed to the media that the man had been under police guard over several offences.
He was placed into custody and is now at Royal Darwin Hospital being treated for the harsh conditions that he subjected himself to, Turner told newspaper NT News.
(2021/01/08 13:27)Click Here for Japanese Translation
AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL
- 01/15 12:25 German police take down 'world's largest darknet marketplace'
- 01/15 12:21 China make-up ad pulled for 'victim-blaming'
- 01/15 12:16 Sri Lanka revives port deal with India, Japan
- 01/15 12:05 'Auschwitz' T-shirt-wearing Capitol rioter arrested
- 01/15 11:47 Tom Hanks to host Biden inauguration TV show
- 01/15 11:20 Tintin painting sells for record 3.2 mln euros at auction
- 01/14 15:21 Olympic swimming medalist Keller charged over Capitol riot
- 01/14 14:51 'Say ahh'-- Chinese robots take throat swabs to fight Covid outbreak
- 01/14 12:41 9,000 died in Irish homes for 'illegitimate' infants-- report
- 01/14 12:31 After investor pressure, Intel says CEO to step down
- 01/14 12:25 Mini robot fish swim in schools, just like the real thing
- 01/14 12:21 World's oldest known cave painting found in Indonesia
- 01/13 09:17 Thai king sweeps prison floors alongside consort
- 01/13 09:14 Melania Trump breaks silence on Congress invasion -- and complains
- 01/13 09:07 From macaques to crabs, wildlife faces threat from face masks
- 01/13 08:56 Turkish TV preacher jailed for 1,000 years for sex crimes
- 01/13 08:35 Vogue's Wintour defends controversial Kamala Harris cover
- 01/13 08:29 Investigation into who etched 'Trump' on manatee's back
- 01/12 11:27 Top global oil exporter Saudi Arabia launches car-free city
- 01/12 11:21 Year on from first Covid-19 death, Wuhan basks in recovery
- 01/12 11:16 Hungary kitchen fills welfare gap for Covid jobless
- 01/12 08:57 Pacific's Micronesia records first Covid-19 case
- 01/12 08:51 State Dept prematurely announces Trump departure
- 01/12 08:45 Seoul city under fire for sexist advice to pregnant women
- 01/08 13:48 1 in 100,000 had severe reactions to Pfizer vaccine-- US study
- 01/08 13:38 Ice, ice, baby-- Beijing's winter swimmers shrug off record lows
- 01/08 13:27 Naked fugitive found in croc-infested northern Australia waters
- 01/08 13:21 China goes online to mock 'beautiful sight' of US Capitol chaos
- 01/08 13:16 Tesla CEO Elon Musk now world's wealthiest person-- US media
- 01/08 13:12 Capitol insanity-- Jamiroquai frontman says he wasn't in DC