State Dept prematurely announces Trump departure
The US State Department's website prematurely announced that President Donald Trump had left office Monday, sending social media into a tailspin on what happened.
Donald J. Trump's term ended 2021-01-11 19:49:00, Trump's official biography page said briefly on Monday before being taken down, with internet users instead seeing a message that there was a technical error.
The State Department did not immediately respond to a question on whether the incident was the result of hacking or a glitch.
But it appeared clear that Trump -- who remains president on the White House website -- had not found an uncharacteristically subtle way to quit through a hard-to-find page.
President-elect Joe Biden is due to be sworn in on January 20 at noon (1700 GMT) after defeating Trump in the November 3 election.
Lawmakers are calling on Trump to resign, his cabinet to remove him or for a second impeachment after he encouraged a mob that violently trashed a session of Congress formally certifying Biden's win.
(2021/01/12 08:51)Click Here for Japanese Translation
AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL
- 01/15 12:25 German police take down 'world's largest darknet marketplace'
- 01/15 12:21 China make-up ad pulled for 'victim-blaming'
- 01/15 12:16 Sri Lanka revives port deal with India, Japan
- 01/15 12:05 'Auschwitz' T-shirt-wearing Capitol rioter arrested
- 01/15 11:47 Tom Hanks to host Biden inauguration TV show
- 01/15 11:20 Tintin painting sells for record 3.2 mln euros at auction
- 01/14 15:21 Olympic swimming medalist Keller charged over Capitol riot
- 01/14 14:51 'Say ahh'-- Chinese robots take throat swabs to fight Covid outbreak
- 01/14 12:41 9,000 died in Irish homes for 'illegitimate' infants-- report
- 01/14 12:31 After investor pressure, Intel says CEO to step down
- 01/14 12:25 Mini robot fish swim in schools, just like the real thing
- 01/14 12:21 World's oldest known cave painting found in Indonesia
- 01/13 09:17 Thai king sweeps prison floors alongside consort
- 01/13 09:14 Melania Trump breaks silence on Congress invasion -- and complains
- 01/13 09:07 From macaques to crabs, wildlife faces threat from face masks
- 01/13 08:56 Turkish TV preacher jailed for 1,000 years for sex crimes
- 01/13 08:35 Vogue's Wintour defends controversial Kamala Harris cover
- 01/13 08:29 Investigation into who etched 'Trump' on manatee's back
- 01/12 11:27 Top global oil exporter Saudi Arabia launches car-free city
- 01/12 11:21 Year on from first Covid-19 death, Wuhan basks in recovery
- 01/12 11:16 Hungary kitchen fills welfare gap for Covid jobless
- 01/12 08:57 Pacific's Micronesia records first Covid-19 case
- 01/12 08:51 State Dept prematurely announces Trump departure
- 01/12 08:45 Seoul city under fire for sexist advice to pregnant women
- 01/08 13:48 1 in 100,000 had severe reactions to Pfizer vaccine-- US study
- 01/08 13:38 Ice, ice, baby-- Beijing's winter swimmers shrug off record lows
- 01/08 13:27 Naked fugitive found in croc-infested northern Australia waters
- 01/08 13:21 China goes online to mock 'beautiful sight' of US Capitol chaos
- 01/08 13:16 Tesla CEO Elon Musk now world's wealthiest person-- US media
- 01/08 13:12 Capitol insanity-- Jamiroquai frontman says he wasn't in DC