El Salvador's Bukele to propose making bitcoin legal tender
El Salvador may become the first country to make bitcoin legal tender, President Nayid Bukele announced Saturday, saying he would soon propose a bill that could transform the remittance-dependent economy.
The move would make the Central American nation the first in the world to formally accept the cryptocurrency as legal money and would allow the financial inclusion of thousands of people who are outside the legal economy, Bukele said.
Next week, I will send to Congress a bill that makes Bitcoin legal money, the populist leader said during a video message to the Bitcoin 2021 conference in Miami, Florida.
The bill aims to create jobs, he said, in a country where 70 percent of the population does not have a bank account and works in the informal economy.
The El Salvador government is yet to give details of the bill, which will require approval from a parliament dominated by the president's allies.
Remittances from Salvadorans working overseas represent a major chunk of the economy -- equivalent to roughly 22 percent of Gross Domestic Product.
In 2020, remittances to the country totaled $5.9 billion, according to official reports.
According to Bukele, bitcoin represented the fastest growing way to transfer those billions of dollars in remittances and to prevent millions from being lost to intermediaries.
Thanks to the use of bitcoin, the amount received by more than a million low-income families increases by several billion dollars every year, said the president.
This improves life and the future of millions of people.
The cryptocurrency market grew to more than $2.5 trillion in mid-May 2020, according to the Coinmarketcap page, driven by interest from increasingly serious investors from Wall Street to Silicon Valley.
But the volatility of bitcoin -- currently priced at $36,127 -- and its murky legal status has raised questions about whether it could ever replace fiat currency in day-to-day transactions.
(2021/06/07 11:38)Click Here for Japanese Translation
AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL
- 06/14 12:23 How an Albanian arms dump transformed into 'Fish City'
- 06/14 12:19 Hunting for mini artworks on New York's streets
- 06/14 12:16 Retro milk float brings Londoners zero-plastic groceries
- 06/14 12:12 Swimming Australia to investigate misogyny claims after Groves complaint
- 06/14 12:07 Moscow announces 'non-working week' as virus surges
- 06/14 12:04 Iraqis find escape, success on a virtual battleground
- 06/11 20:40 Child labour swells for first time in two decades-- UN
- 06/11 20:38 Argentine president forced to apologize for 'jungle' comment
- 06/11 20:33 Montenegro learns true cost of China-backed $1 bn road to nowhere
- 06/11 20:28 'Misogynistic perverts'-- Aussie star pulls out of Olympic swim trials
- 06/11 20:24 US image abroad has improved with Biden election-- Pew survey
- 06/11 15:09 Jill Biden brings LOVE from America
- 06/10 11:54 Police bust drive-through cocaine service at Rome cemetery
- 06/10 11:51 Deadline looms for French pig farmers on castration choice
- 06/10 11:46 Chile inaugurates Latin America's first thermosolar plant
- 06/10 11:40 'World's leading bank robbers'-- North Korea's hacker army
- 06/10 11:23 Elephants in India tested for coronavirus after rare lion's death
- 06/10 11:19 McDonald's BTS-meal frenzy sparks virus closures in Indonesia
- 06/09 14:36 Damien Hirst steps in among Rome's famed Berninis
- 06/09 13:02 US gold coin sells for record $18.87 mn at Sotheby's auction
- 06/09 12:30 Glory Days-- Springsteen to return to Broadway in June, vaccines required
- 06/09 12:26 Pandemic shakes up rankings of world's most liveable cities
- 06/09 12:19 Australia's largest dinosaur identified as new species
- 06/09 12:12 Heavy sleepers-- elephants on epic trek take nap
- 06/08 14:05 Hungarians protest PM Orban's Chinese university plan
- 06/08 14:01 Arctic micro-animal survives 24,000 years in Siberian permafrost
- 06/08 13:57 Everest hopefuls 'camp' at home to avoid Covid-19 in Nepal
- 06/08 13:46 Bruce Lee, life of hardship inspire refugee's Tokyo Olympics dream
- 06/08 13:41 Yemen fuel tanker could 'explode at any moment'-- Greenpeace
- 06/08 13:37 Bomb-sniffing rat retires after award-winning Cambodian career
- 06/07 11:49 Passenger tries to break into cockpit on US flight
- 06/07 11:46 'Sea snot' on Turkey's shores alarms residents
- 06/07 11:43 Welcome to the jungle-- Myanmar rebels teach coup protesters to make war
- 06/07 11:38 El Salvador's Bukele to propose making bitcoin legal tender
- 06/07 11:33 Drought-hit California scales up plan to truck salmon to ocean
- 06/07 11:31 Undammed, undimmed-- The battle over a unique European river