Yemen fuel tanker could 'explode at any moment'-- Greenpeace
Greenpeace warned Thursday that a long-abandoned fuel tanker off war-torn Yemen's coast could explode at any moment, urging UN action to prevent a catastrophic Red Sea oil spill.
The 45-year-old fuel vessel FSO Safer has 1.1 million barrels of crude on board, and has been abandoned near Yemen's western port of Hodeida since 2015.
The FSO Safer is rusting at anchor and could break or explode at any moment, said Greenpeace spokesman Ahmed El Droubi.
It's not if, it's when, Droubi added.
The UN Security Council are to meet later Thursday after Huthi rebels -- who control much of Yemen's north -- said an agreement to allow a UN mission to inspect the tanker had reached a dead end.
Effectively a floating storage platform, it has had virtually no maintenance for six years, and now environmentalists warn it could break apart.
Greenpeace said that as well as corrosion to the rusting ship, essential work to manage explosive gases in its storage tanks has been neglected.
Jennifer Morgan, executive director of Greenpeace International, said the UN must act now to avoid what could be the region's biggest oil disaster for decades.
The solutions are available, the expertise and technologies to help are known, Morgan added.
The UN has said an oil spill would destroy Red Sea ecosystems, shut down the fishing industry and close Yemen's lifeline Hodeida port for six months.
The Huthis are calling for immediate inspection and maintenance of the tanker, but the UN said there must be an impartial assessment before maintenance work can safely commence.
Yemen has been devastated by civil war between the government -- supported by a Saudi-led military coalition -- and the Iran-backed Huthi rebels since 2014, pushing the country to the brink of famine.
Tens of thousands of people, mostly civilians, have been killed and millions displaced in the conflict.
(2021/06/08 13:41)Click Here for Japanese Translation
AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL
- 06/14 12:23 How an Albanian arms dump transformed into 'Fish City'
- 06/14 12:19 Hunting for mini artworks on New York's streets
- 06/14 12:16 Retro milk float brings Londoners zero-plastic groceries
- 06/14 12:12 Swimming Australia to investigate misogyny claims after Groves complaint
- 06/14 12:07 Moscow announces 'non-working week' as virus surges
- 06/14 12:04 Iraqis find escape, success on a virtual battleground
- 06/11 20:40 Child labour swells for first time in two decades-- UN
- 06/11 20:38 Argentine president forced to apologize for 'jungle' comment
- 06/11 20:33 Montenegro learns true cost of China-backed $1 bn road to nowhere
- 06/11 20:28 'Misogynistic perverts'-- Aussie star pulls out of Olympic swim trials
- 06/11 20:24 US image abroad has improved with Biden election-- Pew survey
- 06/11 15:09 Jill Biden brings LOVE from America
- 06/10 11:54 Police bust drive-through cocaine service at Rome cemetery
- 06/10 11:51 Deadline looms for French pig farmers on castration choice
- 06/10 11:46 Chile inaugurates Latin America's first thermosolar plant
- 06/10 11:40 'World's leading bank robbers'-- North Korea's hacker army
- 06/10 11:23 Elephants in India tested for coronavirus after rare lion's death
- 06/10 11:19 McDonald's BTS-meal frenzy sparks virus closures in Indonesia
- 06/09 14:36 Damien Hirst steps in among Rome's famed Berninis
- 06/09 13:02 US gold coin sells for record $18.87 mn at Sotheby's auction
- 06/09 12:30 Glory Days-- Springsteen to return to Broadway in June, vaccines required
- 06/09 12:26 Pandemic shakes up rankings of world's most liveable cities
- 06/09 12:19 Australia's largest dinosaur identified as new species
- 06/09 12:12 Heavy sleepers-- elephants on epic trek take nap
- 06/08 14:05 Hungarians protest PM Orban's Chinese university plan
- 06/08 14:01 Arctic micro-animal survives 24,000 years in Siberian permafrost
- 06/08 13:57 Everest hopefuls 'camp' at home to avoid Covid-19 in Nepal
- 06/08 13:46 Bruce Lee, life of hardship inspire refugee's Tokyo Olympics dream
- 06/08 13:41 Yemen fuel tanker could 'explode at any moment'-- Greenpeace
- 06/08 13:37 Bomb-sniffing rat retires after award-winning Cambodian career
- 06/07 11:49 Passenger tries to break into cockpit on US flight
- 06/07 11:46 'Sea snot' on Turkey's shores alarms residents
- 06/07 11:43 Welcome to the jungle-- Myanmar rebels teach coup protesters to make war
- 06/07 11:38 El Salvador's Bukele to propose making bitcoin legal tender
- 06/07 11:33 Drought-hit California scales up plan to truck salmon to ocean
- 06/07 11:31 Undammed, undimmed-- The battle over a unique European river