Elephants in India tested for coronavirus after rare lion's death
Twenty-eight elephants have been tested for Covid-19 at a forest reserve in southern India, officials said Wednesday, after the reported death of a rare Asiatic lion from the virus.
In what is believed to be the first known death of an animal in India from the coronavirus, a nine-year-old lioness at a zoo in Chennai in Tamil Nadu state passed away in early June, local media reported.
The feline was among nine lions that had tested positive for the virus, including two who were in critical condition, Chennai's The New Indian Express newspaper reported last week.
After lions in Vandalur Zoo tested positive for Covid-19, we were asked to test the camp elephants as a precautionary measure, a forest ranger at Mudumalai Tiger Reserve in the south of Tamil Nadu told AFP on Wednesday.
Nasal and anal samples were taken from 28 elephants, including two calves, on Tuesday, and sent to the Indian Veterinary Research Institute in the northern state of Uttar Pradesh.
The animals' handlers lifted their trunks to collect a sample from a nostril, according to video shared by the reserve. They also inserted swabs into the elephants' rectums.
The results are expected to arrive in a week.
The animals had no symptoms, it was just as a precaution, the ranger said.
There was no difficulty in taking the sample swabs themselves as these are all trained elephants.
Some 21 tigers in a zoo in the eastern state of Jharkhand underwent virus tests last week after a 10-year-old tiger with a fever died, local media reported.
The tiger had returned a negative rapid antigen test but officials said they were also awaiting results from an RT-PCR test, the Press Trust of India reported.
(2021/06/10 11:23)Click Here for Japanese Translation
AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL
- 06/14 12:23 How an Albanian arms dump transformed into 'Fish City'
- 06/14 12:19 Hunting for mini artworks on New York's streets
- 06/14 12:16 Retro milk float brings Londoners zero-plastic groceries
- 06/14 12:12 Swimming Australia to investigate misogyny claims after Groves complaint
- 06/14 12:07 Moscow announces 'non-working week' as virus surges
- 06/14 12:04 Iraqis find escape, success on a virtual battleground
- 06/11 20:40 Child labour swells for first time in two decades-- UN
- 06/11 20:38 Argentine president forced to apologize for 'jungle' comment
- 06/11 20:33 Montenegro learns true cost of China-backed $1 bn road to nowhere
- 06/11 20:28 'Misogynistic perverts'-- Aussie star pulls out of Olympic swim trials
- 06/11 20:24 US image abroad has improved with Biden election-- Pew survey
- 06/11 15:09 Jill Biden brings LOVE from America
- 06/10 11:54 Police bust drive-through cocaine service at Rome cemetery
- 06/10 11:51 Deadline looms for French pig farmers on castration choice
- 06/10 11:46 Chile inaugurates Latin America's first thermosolar plant
- 06/10 11:40 'World's leading bank robbers'-- North Korea's hacker army
- 06/10 11:23 Elephants in India tested for coronavirus after rare lion's death
- 06/10 11:19 McDonald's BTS-meal frenzy sparks virus closures in Indonesia
- 06/09 14:36 Damien Hirst steps in among Rome's famed Berninis
- 06/09 13:02 US gold coin sells for record $18.87 mn at Sotheby's auction
- 06/09 12:30 Glory Days-- Springsteen to return to Broadway in June, vaccines required
- 06/09 12:26 Pandemic shakes up rankings of world's most liveable cities
- 06/09 12:19 Australia's largest dinosaur identified as new species
- 06/09 12:12 Heavy sleepers-- elephants on epic trek take nap
- 06/08 14:05 Hungarians protest PM Orban's Chinese university plan
- 06/08 14:01 Arctic micro-animal survives 24,000 years in Siberian permafrost
- 06/08 13:57 Everest hopefuls 'camp' at home to avoid Covid-19 in Nepal
- 06/08 13:46 Bruce Lee, life of hardship inspire refugee's Tokyo Olympics dream
- 06/08 13:41 Yemen fuel tanker could 'explode at any moment'-- Greenpeace
- 06/08 13:37 Bomb-sniffing rat retires after award-winning Cambodian career
- 06/07 11:49 Passenger tries to break into cockpit on US flight
- 06/07 11:46 'Sea snot' on Turkey's shores alarms residents
- 06/07 11:43 Welcome to the jungle-- Myanmar rebels teach coup protesters to make war
- 06/07 11:38 El Salvador's Bukele to propose making bitcoin legal tender
- 06/07 11:33 Drought-hit California scales up plan to truck salmon to ocean
- 06/07 11:31 Undammed, undimmed-- The battle over a unique European river