US image abroad has improved with Biden election-- Pew survey
The international image of the United States has improved following the election of Democrat Joe Biden but concerns remain over the health of American democracy, according to a survey published on Thursday.
The Pew Research Center report, which surveyed the publics in 16 nations, was released as Biden was in Europe on his first overseas trip as president.
The United States was generally held in low regard in public opinion surveys conducted during Donald Trump's presidency.
Of 12 nations surveyed this year and in 2020, Pew said a median of 75 percent expressed confidence in Biden to do the right thing regarding world affairs, compared with 17 percent for Trump last year.
In France, 65 percent of those surveyed said they see the United States positively, up from just 31 percent last year.
Similar improvements of 25 percentage points or more were found in Germany, Japan, Italy, the Netherlands and Canada, Pew said.
Other countries surveyed -- Australia, Britain, Greece, South Korea, Spain and Sweden -- also saw a jump in US favorability ratings.
Looking at 12 countries polled during the first year of their presidencies, a median of 77 percent described Biden as well-qualified to be president, compared with just 16 percent who felt this way about Trump.
Pew said a median of 89 percent across the 16 publics surveyed approved of Biden's decision to rejoin the World Health Organization and 85 percent supported rejoining the Paris climate agreement.
Sixty-seven percent of the 16 publics said the United States is a very or somewhat reliable partner with 57 percent saying they expected relations to remain the same and 39 percent saying they expected them to improve.
Pew also surveyed attitudes towards the United States following the November presidential election and the January 6 attack on the US Congress by Trump supporters.
Seventeen percent said democracy in the United States is a good example for other countries to follow while 57 percent said it used to be a good example but has not been in recent years.
Twenty-three percent said it has never been a good example.
The Pew survey of 16,254 people was conducted between March and May in 12 to 16 countries depending on the questions.
They were: Australia, Belgium, Britain, Canada, France, Germany, Greece, Italy, Japan the Netherlands, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea, Spain, Sweden and Taiwan.
(2021/06/11 20:24)Click Here for Japanese Translation
AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL
- 06/14 12:23 How an Albanian arms dump transformed into 'Fish City'
- 06/14 12:19 Hunting for mini artworks on New York's streets
- 06/14 12:16 Retro milk float brings Londoners zero-plastic groceries
- 06/14 12:12 Swimming Australia to investigate misogyny claims after Groves complaint
- 06/14 12:07 Moscow announces 'non-working week' as virus surges
- 06/14 12:04 Iraqis find escape, success on a virtual battleground
- 06/11 20:40 Child labour swells for first time in two decades-- UN
- 06/11 20:38 Argentine president forced to apologize for 'jungle' comment
- 06/11 20:33 Montenegro learns true cost of China-backed $1 bn road to nowhere
- 06/11 20:28 'Misogynistic perverts'-- Aussie star pulls out of Olympic swim trials
- 06/11 20:24 US image abroad has improved with Biden election-- Pew survey
- 06/11 15:09 Jill Biden brings LOVE from America
- 06/10 11:54 Police bust drive-through cocaine service at Rome cemetery
- 06/10 11:51 Deadline looms for French pig farmers on castration choice
- 06/10 11:46 Chile inaugurates Latin America's first thermosolar plant
- 06/10 11:40 'World's leading bank robbers'-- North Korea's hacker army
- 06/10 11:23 Elephants in India tested for coronavirus after rare lion's death
- 06/10 11:19 McDonald's BTS-meal frenzy sparks virus closures in Indonesia
- 06/09 14:36 Damien Hirst steps in among Rome's famed Berninis
- 06/09 13:02 US gold coin sells for record $18.87 mn at Sotheby's auction
- 06/09 12:30 Glory Days-- Springsteen to return to Broadway in June, vaccines required
- 06/09 12:26 Pandemic shakes up rankings of world's most liveable cities
- 06/09 12:19 Australia's largest dinosaur identified as new species
- 06/09 12:12 Heavy sleepers-- elephants on epic trek take nap
- 06/08 14:05 Hungarians protest PM Orban's Chinese university plan
- 06/08 14:01 Arctic micro-animal survives 24,000 years in Siberian permafrost
- 06/08 13:57 Everest hopefuls 'camp' at home to avoid Covid-19 in Nepal
- 06/08 13:46 Bruce Lee, life of hardship inspire refugee's Tokyo Olympics dream
- 06/08 13:41 Yemen fuel tanker could 'explode at any moment'-- Greenpeace
- 06/08 13:37 Bomb-sniffing rat retires after award-winning Cambodian career
- 06/07 11:49 Passenger tries to break into cockpit on US flight
- 06/07 11:46 'Sea snot' on Turkey's shores alarms residents
- 06/07 11:43 Welcome to the jungle-- Myanmar rebels teach coup protesters to make war
- 06/07 11:38 El Salvador's Bukele to propose making bitcoin legal tender
- 06/07 11:33 Drought-hit California scales up plan to truck salmon to ocean
- 06/07 11:31 Undammed, undimmed-- The battle over a unique European river