'Misogynistic perverts'-- Aussie star pulls out of Olympic swim trials
Blaming misogynistic perverts in sport and their boot lickers, dual Olympic silver medallist Maddie Groves has pulled out of Australia's swimming trials for the Tokyo Games.
The 26-year-old, who came second in the 200-metre butterfly and 4x100 medley relay at the 2016 Rio Olympics, made the shock revelation ahead of the trials starting in Adelaide on Saturday.
Let this be a lesson to all misogynistic perverts in sport and their boot lickers, she said on Instagram late Thursday in explaining the move.
You can no longer exploit young women and girls, body shame or medically gaslight them and then expect them to represent you so you can earn your annual bonus. Time's UP.
The target of her comments was not clear, but last November she complained on Twitter about a person that works at swimming making me feel uncomfortable the way they stare at me in her swimming costume.
She also wrote days later about a creepy comment made by an unnamed coach, who she said apologised 15 minutes later possibly cause the team psych told him to.
Swimming Australia president Kieren Perkins said Groves had not made any official complaint, and urged her to get in touch.
Unfortunately Maddie is certainly struggling a little bit at the moment it would seem, based on the social media posts that she's putting up, he told Channel Nine television Friday.
The reality is, that's all we know, what's on social media, she's at no time contacted Swimming Australia, we haven't been able to talk to her directly and go through her concerns to find out what's going on.
I can certainly reassure her that claims like these are of the utmost importance to us, and providing a safe environment for all of our participants is absolutely paramount to us, he added.
Former 1500m freestyle Olympic champion Perkins stressed the governing body could only look into the matter if a complaint was lodged.
Unfortunately, social media posts don't constitute any actionable claim for us. We actually need to sit down and talk to people about this, he said.
We would love to do that and we'd like Maddie to come and speak with us if she feels that she can.
Despite withdrawing from the trials, Groves indicated she was not calling time on her career, saying she looked forward to racing at some other competitions later in the year.
(2021/06/11 20:28)Click Here for Japanese Translation
AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL
- 06/14 12:23 How an Albanian arms dump transformed into 'Fish City'
- 06/14 12:19 Hunting for mini artworks on New York's streets
- 06/14 12:16 Retro milk float brings Londoners zero-plastic groceries
- 06/14 12:12 Swimming Australia to investigate misogyny claims after Groves complaint
- 06/14 12:07 Moscow announces 'non-working week' as virus surges
- 06/14 12:04 Iraqis find escape, success on a virtual battleground
- 06/11 20:40 Child labour swells for first time in two decades-- UN
- 06/11 20:38 Argentine president forced to apologize for 'jungle' comment
- 06/11 20:33 Montenegro learns true cost of China-backed $1 bn road to nowhere
- 06/11 20:28 'Misogynistic perverts'-- Aussie star pulls out of Olympic swim trials
- 06/11 20:24 US image abroad has improved with Biden election-- Pew survey
- 06/11 15:09 Jill Biden brings LOVE from America
- 06/10 11:54 Police bust drive-through cocaine service at Rome cemetery
- 06/10 11:51 Deadline looms for French pig farmers on castration choice
- 06/10 11:46 Chile inaugurates Latin America's first thermosolar plant
- 06/10 11:40 'World's leading bank robbers'-- North Korea's hacker army
- 06/10 11:23 Elephants in India tested for coronavirus after rare lion's death
- 06/10 11:19 McDonald's BTS-meal frenzy sparks virus closures in Indonesia
- 06/09 14:36 Damien Hirst steps in among Rome's famed Berninis
- 06/09 13:02 US gold coin sells for record $18.87 mn at Sotheby's auction
- 06/09 12:30 Glory Days-- Springsteen to return to Broadway in June, vaccines required
- 06/09 12:26 Pandemic shakes up rankings of world's most liveable cities
- 06/09 12:19 Australia's largest dinosaur identified as new species
- 06/09 12:12 Heavy sleepers-- elephants on epic trek take nap
- 06/08 14:05 Hungarians protest PM Orban's Chinese university plan
- 06/08 14:01 Arctic micro-animal survives 24,000 years in Siberian permafrost
- 06/08 13:57 Everest hopefuls 'camp' at home to avoid Covid-19 in Nepal
- 06/08 13:46 Bruce Lee, life of hardship inspire refugee's Tokyo Olympics dream
- 06/08 13:41 Yemen fuel tanker could 'explode at any moment'-- Greenpeace
- 06/08 13:37 Bomb-sniffing rat retires after award-winning Cambodian career
- 06/07 11:49 Passenger tries to break into cockpit on US flight
- 06/07 11:46 'Sea snot' on Turkey's shores alarms residents
- 06/07 11:43 Welcome to the jungle-- Myanmar rebels teach coup protesters to make war
- 06/07 11:38 El Salvador's Bukele to propose making bitcoin legal tender
- 06/07 11:33 Drought-hit California scales up plan to truck salmon to ocean
- 06/07 11:31 Undammed, undimmed-- The battle over a unique European river