Prince Harry to publish 'intimate' memoir
Britain's Prince Harry is penning an intimate and honest memoir that will expose the mistakes and lessons learned across his life, publisher Penguin Random House said Monday.
The announcement comes at a time of strained relations between Harry and the British royal family, amid allegations by his wife Meghan of bullying and royal racism, and the couple's shock move to the United States last year.
It will be the first time a senior British royal has ever written such a book, according to British media reports.
I'm writing this not as the prince I was born but as the man I have become, said Prince Harry in a statement published by Penguin Random House.
I've worn many hats over the years, both literally and figuratively, and my hope is that in telling my story -- the highs and lows, the mistakes, the lessons learned -- I can help show that no matter where we come from, we have more in common than we think.
I'm deeply grateful for the opportunity to share what I've learned over the course of my life so far and excited for people to read a firsthand account of my life that's accurate and wholly truthful.
Unveiling the plans on Twitter, the giant New York-based publishing house described the book -- scheduled for late next year -- as an intimate and heartfelt memoir from one of the most fascinating and influential global figures of our time.
The book will cover his childhood -- Harry was just 12 years old when his mother, Prince Diana, died in a Paris car crash -- as well as his military service, including two tours of Afghanistan.
The honest and captivating personal portrait will also recount the joy he has found in being a husband and father, according to the publisher.
Harry, 36, and Meghan, 39, sat in March for a bombshell interview with US talk show host Oprah Winfrey, triggering the royal family's biggest crisis in decades.
During the two-hour sit-down, viewed by more than 17 million people in the US and over 11 million in Britain, Harry and Meghan said racism had played a part in them quitting Britain.
The couple said a senior royal had speculated how dark their child's skin would be before he was born. Meghan's mother is Black and her father is white.
Their first child Archie is now aged two, while Harry and Meghan last month announced the birth of their daughter Lilibet Diana -- named for Harry's grandmother Queen Elizabeth II and his late mother.
According to British media reports, the book is being ghost-written by J. R. Moehringer -- a Pulitzer Prize-winner who previously co-wrote tennis legend Andre Agassi's autobiography.
A first draft is almost completed and is due to be submitted in October, according to the reports.
Prince Harry will be donating proceeds to charity, said the publisher.
(2021/07/20 13:55)Click Here for Japanese Translation
AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL
- 07/27 14:22 French parliament adopts vaccine passports law despite protests
- 07/27 14:09 UK 'pingdemic' prompts warnings of supermarket shortages
- 07/27 14:02 Syria village with language of Jesus prepares for returning pilgrims
- 07/27 13:56 Powering Iraqi homes one switch at a time
- 07/27 13:53 NASA selects SpaceX for mission to Jupiter moon Europa
- 07/27 13:50 Coffee froths to new highs as Brazil frost hits crops
- 07/26 12:07 Houston opens largest LGBTQ senior residence in US
- 07/26 12:00 Buckle up-- Palestinian twins turn Boeing 707 into restaurant
- 07/26 11:56 Colombia authorizes export of dried cannabis flowers
- 07/26 11:52 Smog tower to help Delhi breathe but experts sceptical
- 07/26 11:37 Six years a slave-- Indian farm workers exploited in Italy
- 07/26 11:30 Two brothers competing in Tokyo-- one for Syria, the other for refugees
- 07/21 16:18 Racist abusers to be banned from football stadiums-- UK PM
- 07/21 16:14 World's richest man Jeff Bezos blasts into space
- 07/21 16:10 Afghan warlord's grandson moves on from family's bitter past
- 07/21 16:00 In Mecca, women set off on hajj as 'guardian' rule cast aside
- 07/21 15:56 Israel warns Unilever of 'consequences' for halting Ben & Jerry's sales
- 07/21 15:53 Russia unveils stealth fighter jet to compete with F-35s
- 07/20 14:02 Tokyo Olympic beds are sturdy, IOC says after 'anti-sex' report
- 07/20 13:58 Eiffel Tower reopens after nine-month Covid closure
- 07/20 13:55 Prince Harry to publish 'intimate' memoir
- 07/20 13:43 Historic flood engulfs renowned Belgian chocolate factory
- 07/20 13:38 Protesters attack Cyprus TV over Covid measures, vaccines
- 07/20 13:34 Taiwan approves local coronavirus vaccine for emergency use
- 07/19 12:43 France pledges to end chick culling in 2022
- 07/19 12:41 'Silver lining'-- Albania medicinal herbs bloom in pandemic
- 07/19 12:29 Deal! Sports trading cards boom in pandemic-era US
- 07/19 12:24 Arc de Triomphe set for Christo wrap makeover
- 07/19 12:18 Imaginary deaths, real grief-- Thai artist honours fallen anime heroes
- 07/19 12:13 Cannabis first domesticated 12,000 years ago-- study