Russia unveils stealth fighter jet to compete with F-35s
Russia on Tuesday unveiled its new Sukhoi stealth fighter jet designed to compete with the US F-35 and capable of striking six targets simultaneously.
Dubbed The Checkmate, the plane was first shown to a reportedly pleased President Vladimir Putin before the launch at a biennial airshow outside Moscow.
Reports first surfaced that the jet was being manufactured in May last year.
According to the launch video it was developed in record time.
Few details had previously emerged about the plane that was developed by defence and technology giant Rostec and the state-controlled United Aircraft Corporation.
Our task is for this plane to be offered en masse to customers starting from 2026, general director of the United Aircraft Corporation, Yury Slyusar, said.
Rostec describes the aircraft as a fifth-generation light single-engine fighter jet that incorporates innovative solutions including artificial intelligence.
The jet can attack up to six targets simultaneously on land, air or sea, even under conditions of strong electronic interference, the manufacturers said.
With a price tag of between $25-30 million (21-25 million euros), it will be able to carry drones and launch them during flights.
Slyusar said he expected nearly 300 orders in the next 15 years mainly from the Middle East, Asia and Latin America for a price seven times lower than the F-35.
He said plane is capable of destroying fifth generation foreign aircraft and is designed to withstand the sixth generation systems that may appear in the coming decades.
An auto-pilot version is also being developed.
Slyusar said he believed Putin was pleased when he saw the plane.
Putin praised Russia's aviation industry as he unveiled the biennial MAKS air show earlier Tuesday.
Russian aviation has great potential for development, and our aircraft industry continues to create new competitive aircraft, Putin said.
Putin has made investing in the army and developing new weaponry a priority over his two-decade rule.
Russia has boasted of developing several weapons that circumvent existing defence systems, including the Sarmat intercontinental missiles and Burevestnik cruise missiles.
(2021/07/21 15:53)Click Here for Japanese Translation
AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL
- 07/27 14:22 French parliament adopts vaccine passports law despite protests
- 07/27 14:09 UK 'pingdemic' prompts warnings of supermarket shortages
- 07/27 14:02 Syria village with language of Jesus prepares for returning pilgrims
- 07/27 13:56 Powering Iraqi homes one switch at a time
- 07/27 13:53 NASA selects SpaceX for mission to Jupiter moon Europa
- 07/27 13:50 Coffee froths to new highs as Brazil frost hits crops
- 07/26 12:07 Houston opens largest LGBTQ senior residence in US
- 07/26 12:00 Buckle up-- Palestinian twins turn Boeing 707 into restaurant
- 07/26 11:56 Colombia authorizes export of dried cannabis flowers
- 07/26 11:52 Smog tower to help Delhi breathe but experts sceptical
- 07/26 11:37 Six years a slave-- Indian farm workers exploited in Italy
- 07/26 11:30 Two brothers competing in Tokyo-- one for Syria, the other for refugees
- 07/21 16:18 Racist abusers to be banned from football stadiums-- UK PM
- 07/21 16:14 World's richest man Jeff Bezos blasts into space
- 07/21 16:10 Afghan warlord's grandson moves on from family's bitter past
- 07/21 16:00 In Mecca, women set off on hajj as 'guardian' rule cast aside
- 07/21 15:56 Israel warns Unilever of 'consequences' for halting Ben & Jerry's sales
- 07/21 15:53 Russia unveils stealth fighter jet to compete with F-35s
- 07/20 14:02 Tokyo Olympic beds are sturdy, IOC says after 'anti-sex' report
- 07/20 13:58 Eiffel Tower reopens after nine-month Covid closure
- 07/20 13:55 Prince Harry to publish 'intimate' memoir
- 07/20 13:43 Historic flood engulfs renowned Belgian chocolate factory
- 07/20 13:38 Protesters attack Cyprus TV over Covid measures, vaccines
- 07/20 13:34 Taiwan approves local coronavirus vaccine for emergency use
- 07/19 12:43 France pledges to end chick culling in 2022
- 07/19 12:41 'Silver lining'-- Albania medicinal herbs bloom in pandemic
- 07/19 12:29 Deal! Sports trading cards boom in pandemic-era US
- 07/19 12:24 Arc de Triomphe set for Christo wrap makeover
- 07/19 12:18 Imaginary deaths, real grief-- Thai artist honours fallen anime heroes
- 07/19 12:13 Cannabis first domesticated 12,000 years ago-- study