Biden saves two turkeys from Thanksgiving ovens
In a light-hearted end to a drama-filled week, Joe Biden issued the traditional presidential pardon to two turkeys Friday, saving them from heading to Thanksgiving tables.
Every American wants the same thing. They want to be able to look the turkey in the eye and tell them everything's going to be OK, Biden said in a comic spin on one of his trademark phrases about showing empathy for fellow Americans.
And so folks, it's going to be OK, he said.
The two large white turkeys named Peanut Butter and Jelly won their clemency in a Rose Garden ceremony ahead of next Thursday's national Thanksgiving holiday, when families traditionally gather around tables laden with roast turkey.
Biden quipped that the lucky birds had been chosen in a turkey presidential primary contest based on their temperament, appearance and, I suspect, vaccination status.
Referring to the Covid vaccine booster shots that his government is encouraging Americans to take ahead of winter, he said, instead of getting basted, these two turkeys are getting boosted.
Peanut Butter and Jelly are headed next to a new life at Purdue University in Indiana.
Biden, who underwent a lengthy annual medical exam Friday, was set to fly to his family home in Delaware for the weekend and his 79th birthday on Saturday.
Earlier Friday, the House of Representatives passed his huge social spending bill, which now goes to the Senate. This follows Biden's signing of a historic infrastructure package, already passed by Congress, on Monday.
(2021/11/24 13:27)Click Here for Japanese Translation
AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL
- 12/02 13:09 Armani gives up angora wool as part of fur-free policy
- 12/02 13:05 From crypto to Covid-- Why auction prices are rocketing
- 12/02 12:58 Peru archeologists find mummy up to 1,200 years old
- 12/02 12:56 Bula! Joy as Fiji reopens borders to tourists
- 12/02 12:53 Tel Aviv ranked world's priciest city for first time
- 12/02 12:51 Trump tested positive for Covid just before Biden debate-- book
- 12/01 12:55 Josephine Baker becomes first black woman in France's Pantheon
- 12/01 12:47 30 South African white rhino relocated to Rwanda in a Boeing 747
- 12/01 12:44 'Eternal' wine revives Assyrian culture in Turkey
- 12/01 12:39 Santa Paws-- South African canines sled on sandy beaches
- 12/01 12:36 Snowboarding baby steals hearts and DataHeadLine
- 12/01 12:33 NASA postpones ISS spacewalk due to debris risk
- 11/30 12:12 Woods rules out 'full-time' return to golf
- 11/30 11:27 Trump is back -- on the Bidens' Christmas tree
- 11/30 11:22 Chile's desert dumping ground for fast fashion leftovers
- 11/30 11:04 Revolution at the home of Thai boxing after Covid KO
- 11/30 10:59 First electric autonomous cargo ship launched in Norway
- 11/30 09:41 Robot waiters take Iraq's Mosulites back to the future
- 11/29 13:31 Indian builds Taj Mahal replica home for wife
- 11/29 13:28 Hong Kong protest film wins Taiwan's Golden Horse award
- 11/29 13:24 Beethoven-loving donkeys clean up Turkish town
- 11/29 13:21 E-buggies replace horse carts at Jordan's Petra
- 11/29 13:18 Thousands join global outcry over violence against women
- 11/29 13:10 Cuba inaugurates center to preserve Castro writings
- 11/26 12:48 Bach's call with Peng exposes IOC's limits, analysts say
- 11/26 12:42 Back on all fours with titanium paws for Russia rescue dog
- 11/26 12:40 Egypt's Sisi looks to new desert capital to cement legacy
- 11/26 12:34 Taliban to Afghan networks-- stop airing shows with women actors
- 11/26 12:26 New restoration works shore-up Iraq's historic Arch of Ctesiphon
- 11/26 12:23 Seoul trials pint-sized robots in nursery schools
- 11/25 14:52 NASA to deflect asteroid in test of 'planetary defense'
- 11/25 14:50 Censors, legal hurdles stifle China's #MeToo movement
- 11/25 14:44 Pentagon creates new office to probe UFO reports
- 11/25 14:36 China's birthrate plummets to lowest figure in decades
- 11/25 14:35 A breakdown of 'Fragile', the viral pop song poking China
- 11/25 14:31 Mom and daughter bound for space after winning Virgin Galactic prize
- 11/24 13:33 India announces bill to ban cryptocurrencies
- 11/24 13:27 Biden saves two turkeys from Thanksgiving ovens
- 11/24 13:23 Remains of 'very rare' dinosaur species discovered in Brazil
- 11/24 13:20 Desperate US bid to engineer corals for climate change
- 11/24 13:15 Princess Charlene receiving 'specialised' care outside Monaco-- source
- 11/24 13:12 Rare Einstein papers set record at Paris auction