Seoul trials pint-sized robots in nursery schools
Seoul has started trialling pint-sized robots as teaching aids in kindergartens -- a pilot project the city government said would help prepare the next generation for a hi-tech future.
The Alpha Mini is just 24.5 centimetres tall and can dance, lead sing-a-longs, recite stories and even teach kung-fu moves as children mimic its push-ups and one-legged balances.
The robots help with the kids' creativity, teacher Byun Seo-yeon told AFP during a visit to the bright and busy Maru nursery in Seoul.
The robot's eyes wink and blink -- and its pupils become heart-shaped during conversation.
With a camera on its helmet, it takes photos that are instantly sent to a tablet for viewing.
In the future, knowing how to manage AI and related tools will be very important, Han Dong-seog, from the Seoul government's childcare division, told AFP.
The robots are being trialled in 300 Seoul nurseries and childcare centres, with the government recommending the programme for children aged three to five.
We believe having this experience in nursery schools will have a lasting effect throughout their youth and as adults, Han said.
The Alpha Mini has been adopted as part of a daily schedule for the class of four- to five-year-old students at Maru, with its ability to fart on command being a highlight during playtime.
When I tell it to sing, it sings well. I tell it to dance and we dance together, said five-year-old Lee Ga-yoon.
(2021/11/26 12:23)Click Here for Japanese Translation
AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL
- 12/03 12:35 Peas on Earth-- Iceland's veggie beer a Christmas hit
- 12/03 12:31 United States is world's biggest plastic polluter, report finds
- 12/03 12:27 Stanford engineers build bird bots that can perch and grab objects
- 12/03 12:23 Elle says will drop fur from magazines worldwide
- 12/03 12:21 Merkel taps 'highlight' by punkrocker for farewell parade
- 12/03 12:18 The passengers on the bus go ZZZ on Hong Kong nowhere route
- 12/02 13:09 Armani gives up angora wool as part of fur-free policy
- 12/02 13:05 From crypto to Covid-- Why auction prices are rocketing
- 12/02 12:58 Peru archeologists find mummy up to 1,200 years old
- 12/02 12:56 Bula! Joy as Fiji reopens borders to tourists
- 12/02 12:53 Tel Aviv ranked world's priciest city for first time
- 12/02 12:51 Trump tested positive for Covid just before Biden debate-- book
- 12/01 12:55 Josephine Baker becomes first black woman in France's Pantheon
- 12/01 12:47 30 South African white rhino relocated to Rwanda in a Boeing 747
- 12/01 12:44 'Eternal' wine revives Assyrian culture in Turkey
- 12/01 12:39 Santa Paws-- South African canines sled on sandy beaches
- 12/01 12:36 Snowboarding baby steals hearts and DataHeadLine
- 12/01 12:33 NASA postpones ISS spacewalk due to debris risk
- 11/30 12:12 Woods rules out 'full-time' return to golf
- 11/30 11:27 Trump is back -- on the Bidens' Christmas tree
- 11/30 11:22 Chile's desert dumping ground for fast fashion leftovers
- 11/30 11:04 Revolution at the home of Thai boxing after Covid KO
- 11/30 10:59 First electric autonomous cargo ship launched in Norway
- 11/30 09:41 Robot waiters take Iraq's Mosulites back to the future
- 11/29 13:31 Indian builds Taj Mahal replica home for wife
- 11/29 13:28 Hong Kong protest film wins Taiwan's Golden Horse award
- 11/29 13:24 Beethoven-loving donkeys clean up Turkish town
- 11/29 13:21 E-buggies replace horse carts at Jordan's Petra
- 11/29 13:18 Thousands join global outcry over violence against women
- 11/29 13:10 Cuba inaugurates center to preserve Castro writings
- 11/26 12:48 Bach's call with Peng exposes IOC's limits, analysts say
- 11/26 12:42 Back on all fours with titanium paws for Russia rescue dog
- 11/26 12:40 Egypt's Sisi looks to new desert capital to cement legacy
- 11/26 12:34 Taliban to Afghan networks-- stop airing shows with women actors
- 11/26 12:26 New restoration works shore-up Iraq's historic Arch of Ctesiphon
- 11/26 12:23 Seoul trials pint-sized robots in nursery schools
- 11/25 14:52 NASA to deflect asteroid in test of 'planetary defense'
- 11/25 14:50 Censors, legal hurdles stifle China's #MeToo movement
- 11/25 14:44 Pentagon creates new office to probe UFO reports
- 11/25 14:36 China's birthrate plummets to lowest figure in decades
- 11/25 14:35 A breakdown of 'Fragile', the viral pop song poking China
- 11/25 14:31 Mom and daughter bound for space after winning Virgin Galactic prize
- 11/24 13:33 India announces bill to ban cryptocurrencies
- 11/24 13:27 Biden saves two turkeys from Thanksgiving ovens
- 11/24 13:23 Remains of 'very rare' dinosaur species discovered in Brazil
- 11/24 13:20 Desperate US bid to engineer corals for climate change
- 11/24 13:15 Princess Charlene receiving 'specialised' care outside Monaco-- source
- 11/24 13:12 Rare Einstein papers set record at Paris auction