Fiery Scottish Viking festival lifts curbs on female participants
Women will be allowed to take part in the main Viking-inspired torchlight procession on the remote Scottish island of Shetland for the first time next year, organisers said on Wednesday.
The committee in charge of the Up Helly Aa festival, which commemorates the end of the Christmas season, said that it was time to lift restrictions on women taking part in the traditionally male-only procession.
The decision means the festival in Lerwick on Tuesday January 31, 2023 will have a different dimension to it, but we have no doubt that its essence and spirit will remain the same, committee secretary Robert Geddes said.
The event, which is popular among tourists, traditionally involved around 1,000 male participants known as guizers in Viking dress, dividing into squads to parade through the town.
The walk is led by the Guizer Jarl or chief guizer, and culminates in the participants using their flaming torches to set ablaze a replica Viking longship.
The modern event, first held in 1881, is famous for its festive parties which often involve traditional Shetland dancing and copious alcohol consumption.
Rural Up Helly Aa processions on Shetland, which lies in the middle of the North Sea some 400 miles (640 kilometres) from Edinburgh, started allowing women to take part in 2015.
But the Lerwick committee stood firmly against allowing female participants to get involved in celebrating the island's Norse heritage.
We felt that it was time to give squads a choice over their guizers, including allowing female participation, Geddes said.
The other criteria for participation -- that guizers be older than 16 and have lived in Shetland continuously for five years -- remains the same for the event, which has not been held since 2020 due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
(2022/06/23 17:38)Click Here for Japanese Translation
AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL
- 07/01 14:10 Mucky business-- Thai prisoners clean Bangkok sewers after pandemic delay
- 07/01 14:03 China's image slips further in developed world-- survey
- 07/01 13:52 US Supreme Court limits government powers to curb greenhouse gases
- 07/01 13:46 'Your body belongs to Christ'-- US anti-abortionists see divine hand in court ruling
- 07/01 13:39 Biden touts Switzerland -- woops, Sweden -- in NATO expansion
- 07/01 13:36 Pink 'soul refresher' unites wilting Indians and Pakistanis
- 06/30 22:15 US Ryder Cup captain Johnson says PGA is path to his team
- 06/30 22:07 Serena conqueror's doubles partner fumes after pull-out
- 06/30 22:02 Singer R. Kelly gets 30 years in jail over sex crimes
- 06/30 14:45 Cuban boxing star Andy Cruz caught trying to escape island nation
- 06/30 14:36 Indonesian zoo breeds dozens of endangered baby Komodo dragons
- 06/30 14:23 Queen Elizabeth II meets Scotland's leader after referendum announcement
- 06/29 14:47 Russia to put WNBA star Griner on trial in July
- 06/29 14:26 Hamilton calls for action after Piquet's racist slur
- 06/29 14:15 'Motivated' Serena brushes off retirement talk despite Wimbledon defeat
- 06/29 14:10 'We're still here'-- Wimbledon set for all-Ukrainian clash
- 06/29 14:02 Jewel thieves in brazen Dutch art fair heist
- 06/29 13:56 Roman-era mosaic back in Israel as centrepiece of new museum
- 06/28 16:29 French athlete assaulted just before race, still wins in eyepatch
- 06/28 15:04 Undisputed crown will prove I'm pound-for-pound boxing king-- Inoue
- 06/28 14:52 Beachgoers brave rockets in East Ukraine
- 06/28 14:48 G7 leaders mock Putin in jokes about stripping off
- 06/28 14:42 'Elvis' puts the King back in spotlight in N.American theaters
- 06/28 14:13 'Deepest shipwreck'-- US WWII ship found off Philippines
- 06/27 15:09 Djokovic, Nadal lead title chase at all-change Wimbledon
- 06/27 14:54 Trans Rohingya refugee fights prejudice with beauty
- 06/27 14:50 Working 24/7 to save baby manatee orphaned in Colombia
- 06/27 14:45 Israel uncovers rare early mosque in Negev
- 06/27 14:41 Teaching helped me survive, says Indian quadruple amputee
- 06/27 14:25 Robot hives in Israel kibbutz hope to keep bees buzzing
- 06/24 17:52 'Two minutes without breathing'-- Coach tells of pool rescue drama
- 06/24 17:43 In the tunnels of Azovstal, traces of Ukraine's resistance
- 06/24 17:34 Greek state TV mocked for gasoline theft 'tips'
- 06/24 17:28 Swahili smash for Osaka's new venture
- 06/24 17:21 Magic conjure surprise with Banchero No.1 NBA Draft pick
- 06/24 17:15 Eurovision chiefs insist Ukraine cannot host 2023 show
- 06/23 17:38 Fiery Scottish Viking festival lifts curbs on female participants
- 06/23 17:32 Vienna returns as world's 'most liveable city'
- 06/23 15:55 Tourists in Paris lament construction works
- 06/23 15:29 New UK statue unveiled to post-war Caribbean migrants
- 06/23 15:23 Putin's health-- pivotal yet shrouded in uncertainty
- 06/23 15:14 Ziggy Stardust-- 50 years of Bowie's alien revolution