HOME > AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL > Article
French Bulldogs topple Labradors as most popular US breed-- AKC
The lovable Labrador Retriever is no longer the most popular dog breed in the United States, as French Bulldogs take over the top spot, the American Kennel Club (AKC) announced Wednesday.
Labs, which the New York-based registry describes as famously friendly and an enthusiastic athlete, had been the most popular dog breed for 31 years prior to 2022.
But Frenchies had been quietly climbing the charts for many years, the AKC said in a statement.
The small-dog breed, which like Labs are considered great pets for families, are described by AKC as one-of-a-kind, with their trademark feature being their large bat ears.
They get on well with other animals and enjoy making new friends of the human variety, the AKC says, adding it is no wonder that city folk from Paris to Peoria swear by this vastly amusing and companionable breed.
After Frenchies and Labs, rounding out the top five breeds for 2022 were the Golden Retriever, German Shepherd, and Poodle.
French Bulldogs -- like their English cousins and squish-faced pugs -- have a short snout, which can lead to trouble breathing and other health complications.
The Dutch agriculture minister in January said he would seek to ban ownership of animals which suffer from his or her appearance.
The Netherlands banned the breeding of pets that are affected by their appearance in 2014, but some animals were still being traded illegally or bought from abroad.
Frenchies also made headlines in 2021, when pop star Lady Gaga had two French Bulldogs stolen while a dog-walker was taking them for a stroll.
They were later returned, while the three robbers were later caught and jailed for the incident, during which the dog-walker was shot.
(2023/03/17 15:33)<!-eng:-> Click Here for Japanese Translation
AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL
- 03/20 19:05 Pain and faint hopes as Iraqis look back at US invasion
- 03/20 18:47 Breaking new ground, video game engages with Holocaust
- 03/20 17:23 Pandemic racism, mass shootings spur Asian-Americans to take up guns
- 03/20 17:16 Huawei has replaced thousands of US-banned parts with Chinese versions-- founder
- 03/20 17:14 French protest over Macron forcing through pension reform
- 03/20 17:13 North Korea says 800,000 people enlist to fight 'US imperialists'
- 03/17 15:43 Mysterious Corsican 'cat-fox' revealed as unique species
- 03/17 15:41 Russian refuseniks hide in fear to evade Ukraine conflict
- 03/17 15:40 Warhol in the desert-- flamboyant art icon pops up in Saudi
- 03/17 15:38 Northeast Brazil sees more fierce gang violence
- 03/17 15:35 Xi mediation offer spurred Iran deal talks-- Saudi official
- 03/17 15:33 French Bulldogs topple Labradors as most popular US breed-- AKC
- 03/16 15:06 BTS absence hurting global K-pop growth-- HYBE chairman
- 03/16 15:05 Garbage mounts in Paris as Macron eyes French pension reform vote
- 03/16 15:03 Prototype spacesuit for future NASA mission to Moon unveiled
- 03/16 15:02 NBA bans Grizzlies' Morant eight games for gun in nightclub
- 03/16 15:00 Second group of prisoners transferred to El Salvador mega-jail
- 03/16 14:59 'Like an animal'-- replica of Navalny's cell set up in Paris
- 03/15 17:06 'Nigerian Billy Elliot' meets British royalty
- 03/15 17:03 Spain's Crown Princess Leonor to start military training
- 03/15 17:02 New research claims Leonardo da Vinci was son of a slave
- 03/15 17:00 Golf's governing bodies propose rule change to reduce ball distance
- 03/15 16:57 Zebra shot dead after biting US man in attack
- 03/15 16:56 Trump rival DeSantis says backing Kyiv not key for US
- 03/14 16:42 UN investigators slam sluggish Syria quake aid
- 03/14 16:41 Ukraine troops wrap up Leopard tank training in Spain
- 03/14 16:37 Rubbish piles up in strike-bound Paris
- 03/14 16:35 Dozens of rare manta rays caught off Gaza coast
- 03/14 16:34 Cyclists hit Brazil's streets nude to display their vulnerability to traffic accidents
- 03/14 16:32 Belarus, Iran vow to boost ties amid Russia's Ukraine war
- 03/13 19:17 Cockfighting still a popular blood sport in southern Iraq
- 03/13 17:05 A year on, Ukraine's embattled nuclear plant turned Russian 'military base'
- 03/13 17:03 Goats, boyfriends, UFOs-- New York reveals bizarre hotline calls
- 03/13 17:01 Ukrainian soldiers wait to reinforce 'real hell' of Bakhmut
- 03/13 16:58 In Lebanese mountains, hatmaker keeps ancient skill alive
- 03/13 16:53 Russia denounces Georgia protests as coup attempt