HOME > AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL > Article
Northeast Brazil sees more fierce gang violence
Marauding attacks by gang members in northeast Brazil continued for a third night despite a beefed up presence of security forces, authorities said on Thursday.
Media reports carried images of public buses and buildings in flames in nine cities -- including state capital Natal -- in the northeastern Rio Grande do Norte state.
The unrest, which began late Monday, was orchestrated by imprisoned gang leaders as a protest against jail conditions and new regulations cracking down on criminal activity within the state penal system.
In Natal, a garbage collection center, a supermarket and a gas station were all set ablaze, the G1 news site said.
Never in my life have I seen something like this going on. We left for work... and we came across this. It is very sad, Reinaldo Silva, a mason in Natal, told AFP.
Authorities dispatched an additional 220 federal police to the state but reinforcements may climb as high as 800 in coming days, Justice and Security Minister Flavio Dino told CNN.
At least 28 urban areas in the state have been hit by the disturbances this week, authorities said.
Local media have carried footage of vehicles in flames, and of police cruisers, businesses and government buildings riddled with bullets.
Leftist President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva hasn't spoken public about the disorder.
At least two people were killed in clashes with police earlier in the week, and 67 people have been arrested, public security sources in the state told AFP.
(2023/03/17 15:38)<!-eng:-> Click Here for Japanese Translation
AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL
- 03/20 19:05 Pain and faint hopes as Iraqis look back at US invasion
- 03/20 18:47 Breaking new ground, video game engages with Holocaust
- 03/20 17:23 Pandemic racism, mass shootings spur Asian-Americans to take up guns
- 03/20 17:16 Huawei has replaced thousands of US-banned parts with Chinese versions-- founder
- 03/20 17:14 French protest over Macron forcing through pension reform
- 03/20 17:13 North Korea says 800,000 people enlist to fight 'US imperialists'
- 03/17 15:43 Mysterious Corsican 'cat-fox' revealed as unique species
- 03/17 15:41 Russian refuseniks hide in fear to evade Ukraine conflict
- 03/17 15:40 Warhol in the desert-- flamboyant art icon pops up in Saudi
- 03/17 15:38 Northeast Brazil sees more fierce gang violence
- 03/17 15:35 Xi mediation offer spurred Iran deal talks-- Saudi official
- 03/17 15:33 French Bulldogs topple Labradors as most popular US breed-- AKC
- 03/16 15:06 BTS absence hurting global K-pop growth-- HYBE chairman
- 03/16 15:05 Garbage mounts in Paris as Macron eyes French pension reform vote
- 03/16 15:03 Prototype spacesuit for future NASA mission to Moon unveiled
- 03/16 15:02 NBA bans Grizzlies' Morant eight games for gun in nightclub
- 03/16 15:00 Second group of prisoners transferred to El Salvador mega-jail
- 03/16 14:59 'Like an animal'-- replica of Navalny's cell set up in Paris
- 03/15 17:06 'Nigerian Billy Elliot' meets British royalty
- 03/15 17:03 Spain's Crown Princess Leonor to start military training
- 03/15 17:02 New research claims Leonardo da Vinci was son of a slave
- 03/15 17:00 Golf's governing bodies propose rule change to reduce ball distance
- 03/15 16:57 Zebra shot dead after biting US man in attack
- 03/15 16:56 Trump rival DeSantis says backing Kyiv not key for US
- 03/14 16:42 UN investigators slam sluggish Syria quake aid
- 03/14 16:41 Ukraine troops wrap up Leopard tank training in Spain
- 03/14 16:37 Rubbish piles up in strike-bound Paris
- 03/14 16:35 Dozens of rare manta rays caught off Gaza coast
- 03/14 16:34 Cyclists hit Brazil's streets nude to display their vulnerability to traffic accidents
- 03/14 16:32 Belarus, Iran vow to boost ties amid Russia's Ukraine war
- 03/13 19:17 Cockfighting still a popular blood sport in southern Iraq
- 03/13 17:05 A year on, Ukraine's embattled nuclear plant turned Russian 'military base'
- 03/13 17:03 Goats, boyfriends, UFOs-- New York reveals bizarre hotline calls
- 03/13 17:01 Ukrainian soldiers wait to reinforce 'real hell' of Bakhmut
- 03/13 16:58 In Lebanese mountains, hatmaker keeps ancient skill alive
- 03/13 16:53 Russia denounces Georgia protests as coup attempt