HOME > AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL > Article
Mysterious Corsican 'cat-fox' revealed as unique species
The elusive striped cat-fox familiar mostly to Corsican shepherds and as a source of intrigue to scientists, is indeed its own species specific to the French Mediterranean island, the French office for Biodiversity (OFB) announced Thursday.
New genetic analysis has revealed a unique genetic strain to the wild cats found in the remote forest undergrowth of northern Corsica, it confirmed.
Genetic sampling clearly distinguishes the ring-tailed Corsican cat-foxes from mainland forest felines and domestic cats, said the OFB in a statement.
While resembling house cats in some ways, the cat-fox earned its name from its length -- measuring 90 centimetres (35 inches) from head to tail -- and its distinct black-tipped, ringed tail.
Other distinguishing features include the stripes on the front legs, very dark hind legs, and a russet stomach. The dense, silky coat is a natural repellent for fleas, ticks and lice.
The inconspicuous feline finally became part of a concerted research effort -- after years of playing a game of cat and mouse -- when one was unexpectedly captured in a local chicken coop in 2008.
But it has long been part of local folklore.
The cat-fox is part of our shepherd mythology, Carlu-Antone Cecchini, head of the forest cat mission at the National Hunting and Wildlife Office, now part of the OFB, told AFP in 2019.
From generation to generation, they told stories of how the forest cats would attack the udders of their ewes and goats.
The discovery of a unique genetic lineage is an essential step towards ensuring proper protection and conservation for the endangered species.
(2023/03/17 15:43)<!-eng:-> Click Here for Japanese Translation
AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL
- 03/20 19:05 Pain and faint hopes as Iraqis look back at US invasion
- 03/20 18:47 Breaking new ground, video game engages with Holocaust
- 03/20 17:23 Pandemic racism, mass shootings spur Asian-Americans to take up guns
- 03/20 17:16 Huawei has replaced thousands of US-banned parts with Chinese versions-- founder
- 03/20 17:14 French protest over Macron forcing through pension reform
- 03/20 17:13 North Korea says 800,000 people enlist to fight 'US imperialists'
- 03/17 15:43 Mysterious Corsican 'cat-fox' revealed as unique species
- 03/17 15:41 Russian refuseniks hide in fear to evade Ukraine conflict
- 03/17 15:40 Warhol in the desert-- flamboyant art icon pops up in Saudi
- 03/17 15:38 Northeast Brazil sees more fierce gang violence
- 03/17 15:35 Xi mediation offer spurred Iran deal talks-- Saudi official
- 03/17 15:33 French Bulldogs topple Labradors as most popular US breed-- AKC
- 03/16 15:06 BTS absence hurting global K-pop growth-- HYBE chairman
- 03/16 15:05 Garbage mounts in Paris as Macron eyes French pension reform vote
- 03/16 15:03 Prototype spacesuit for future NASA mission to Moon unveiled
- 03/16 15:02 NBA bans Grizzlies' Morant eight games for gun in nightclub
- 03/16 15:00 Second group of prisoners transferred to El Salvador mega-jail
- 03/16 14:59 'Like an animal'-- replica of Navalny's cell set up in Paris
- 03/15 17:06 'Nigerian Billy Elliot' meets British royalty
- 03/15 17:03 Spain's Crown Princess Leonor to start military training
- 03/15 17:02 New research claims Leonardo da Vinci was son of a slave
- 03/15 17:00 Golf's governing bodies propose rule change to reduce ball distance
- 03/15 16:57 Zebra shot dead after biting US man in attack
- 03/15 16:56 Trump rival DeSantis says backing Kyiv not key for US
- 03/14 16:42 UN investigators slam sluggish Syria quake aid
- 03/14 16:41 Ukraine troops wrap up Leopard tank training in Spain
- 03/14 16:37 Rubbish piles up in strike-bound Paris
- 03/14 16:35 Dozens of rare manta rays caught off Gaza coast
- 03/14 16:34 Cyclists hit Brazil's streets nude to display their vulnerability to traffic accidents
- 03/14 16:32 Belarus, Iran vow to boost ties amid Russia's Ukraine war
- 03/13 19:17 Cockfighting still a popular blood sport in southern Iraq
- 03/13 17:05 A year on, Ukraine's embattled nuclear plant turned Russian 'military base'
- 03/13 17:03 Goats, boyfriends, UFOs-- New York reveals bizarre hotline calls
- 03/13 17:01 Ukrainian soldiers wait to reinforce 'real hell' of Bakhmut
- 03/13 16:58 In Lebanese mountains, hatmaker keeps ancient skill alive
- 03/13 16:53 Russia denounces Georgia protests as coup attempt