HOME > AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL > Article
India's top court upholds bull-taming festival
India's Supreme Court upheld on Thursday a state government's decision to lift the ban on a popular bull-taming festival long blighted by allegations of animal cruelty.
Animal rights groups had petitioned the court after the southern state of Tamil Nadu amended a law in 2017 to allow the traditional Jallikattu festival.
The Tamil Nadu law is a valid piece of legislation and there is no flaw in it, Justice Aniruddha Bose declared on behalf of a five-member bench.
During Jallikattu, young men try to grab charging bulls by their sharpened horns or jump on their backs.
Unlike in traditional Spanish bullfighting, the animals are let loose into open fields where young men compete to subdue them bare-handed.
Critics say organisers lace the bulls' feed with liquor to make them less steady on their feet, and throw chilli powder in their faces to send them into a sudden frenzy as they are released from a holding pen.
There have also been reports of bulls having their horns sharpened with broken glass, while the taming can lead to serious injury and painful death for the animals.
Over the years, dozens of people have been killed and hundreds more wounded during the festival.
Organisers of the centuries-old event insist the animals suffer no harm, calling the event an established part of Tamil culture.
Jallikattu is celebrated in January during the Tamil harvest festival, Pongal.
In 2014, the Supreme Court banned the sport, saying it inflicted extreme cruelty on the animals.
The ban led to massive street protests and hundreds of people were detained by police for organising Jallikatu contests in defiance of the court order.
In 2017, the Tamil Nadu government lifted the restriction, paving the way for Jallikattu to resume across the state.
(2023/05/19 17:12)<!-eng:-> Click Here for Japanese Translation
AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL
- 05/26 17:13 Australia told to shoot kangaroos before they starve
- 05/26 17:12 Musk's Neuralink says cleared for human test of brain implants
- 05/26 17:11 US Navy probe finds major problems with SEAL training
- 05/26 17:10 Peru seizes cocaine bricks wrapped in Nazi insignia
- 05/26 17:09 Animal rights activists 'rescue' lambs from farm on royal estate
- 05/26 17:04 South Korea hails successful launch of homegrown rocket
- 05/25 19:35 Miami zoo's meet-a-kiwi scheme ruffles feathers in New Zealand
- 05/25 19:31 $6 mn raised to preserve Nina Simone's childhood home
- 05/25 19:26 Barcelona veteran Alba leaving club after 11 years
- 05/25 19:21 'Wide open' for business-- Russia makes play for Gulf money
- 05/25 19:08 French defender Le Normand obtains Spanish nationality
- 05/25 19:00 US top health official sounds alarm on child social media use
- 05/24 17:36 Netflix expands password-sharing crackdown worldwide
- 05/24 17:33 Police search Portugal reservoir in Madeleine McCann case
- 05/24 17:32 Mexico raises alert level as volcano ejects smoke, ash, lava
- 05/24 17:31 Taiwan says last wartime 'comfort woman' dies at 92
- 05/24 17:29 New Zealand fights to save its flightless national bird
- 05/24 17:25 Spain arrests seven over Vinicius racism incidents
- 05/23 17:05 Climate-- 'dangerous heat' could afflict billions by 2100
- 05/23 17:03 Harvard study finds implicit racial bias highest among white people
- 05/23 17:00 New Zealand sheep outnumber people less than 5 to 1, a record low
- 05/23 16:58 Macron makes first French presidential visit to Mongolia
- 05/23 16:56 Godard's afterlife begins at Cannes
- 05/23 16:53 Spain opens investigation into racist abuse of Vinicius
- 05/22 17:22 Private mission carrying Saudi astronauts launches to ISS
- 05/22 17:20 Guitar smashed by Nirvana's Kurt Cobain sells for nearly $600,000
- 05/22 17:19 Building 'Mad Max' vehicles for Ukraine's fighters
- 05/22 17:18 Paris sees success in bringing Zelensky to G7
- 05/22 17:16 'I love being older', says Harrison Ford as he retires Indiana Jones
- 05/22 17:14 After SpaceX, NASA taps Bezos's Blue Origin to build Moon lander
- 05/19 18:43 London show explores sari's 21st century reinvention
- 05/19 17:15 DNA study of famed US sled dog shows what made him so tough
- 05/19 17:12 India's top court upholds bull-taming festival
- 05/19 17:11 Turks in Germany hope for citizenship law overhaul
- 05/19 17:07 Italy flood deaths rise to 13 as thousands wait to come home
- 05/19 17:06 Nadal pulls out of French Open, set to end career in 2024