HOME > AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL > Article
Godard's afterlife begins at Cannes
Stars and film buffs turned out on a rainy Sunday at Cannes to see the last film by Jean-Luc Godard, one of the most influential filmmakers of the 20th century.
Posthumous short film Phony Wars was presented alongside a new documentary about the Swiss director, who died last year aged 91 by assisted suicide.
US director Jim Jarmusch and actor Salma Hayek were among those at the screening, along with China's Wang Bing who has a documentary in this year's competition.
Godard's short film was a collage of images with text set to bursts of music -- characteristic of the director's beautiful but ever-more obscure late works.
The documentary, Godard by Godard, retraces the main chapters in Godard's long career, from his rule-breaking early movies Breathless and Band of Outsiders that have inspired generations of filmmakers, and shows his playful side at work and in interviews.
There was spontaneous applause midway through when it showed Godard at Cannes in 1968, calling for the festival to be cancelled in solidarity with student protests.
There have been fears of unrest at this year's edition linked to President Emmanuel Macron's pension reforms, though there has been little disruption so far.
Godard's work will continue to live in books, films, and find new audiences and young spectators, said Frederic Bonnaud, president of the French Cinematheque, who wrote the documentary's script.
Godard made a turn to politics in the 1970s, and then stopped making features completely for several years as he experimented with different styles and technologies.
When he returned to features in the 1980s and 1990s, his experimental style brought him both acclaim and derision.
One scene shows a member of the public throwing a cream cake in his face at Cannes in 1985.
(2023/05/23 16:56)<!-eng:-> Click Here for Japanese Translation
AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL
- 05/26 17:13 Australia told to shoot kangaroos before they starve
- 05/26 17:12 Musk's Neuralink says cleared for human test of brain implants
- 05/26 17:11 US Navy probe finds major problems with SEAL training
- 05/26 17:10 Peru seizes cocaine bricks wrapped in Nazi insignia
- 05/26 17:09 Animal rights activists 'rescue' lambs from farm on royal estate
- 05/26 17:04 South Korea hails successful launch of homegrown rocket
- 05/25 19:35 Miami zoo's meet-a-kiwi scheme ruffles feathers in New Zealand
- 05/25 19:31 $6 mn raised to preserve Nina Simone's childhood home
- 05/25 19:26 Barcelona veteran Alba leaving club after 11 years
- 05/25 19:21 'Wide open' for business-- Russia makes play for Gulf money
- 05/25 19:08 French defender Le Normand obtains Spanish nationality
- 05/25 19:00 US top health official sounds alarm on child social media use
- 05/24 17:36 Netflix expands password-sharing crackdown worldwide
- 05/24 17:33 Police search Portugal reservoir in Madeleine McCann case
- 05/24 17:32 Mexico raises alert level as volcano ejects smoke, ash, lava
- 05/24 17:31 Taiwan says last wartime 'comfort woman' dies at 92
- 05/24 17:29 New Zealand fights to save its flightless national bird
- 05/24 17:25 Spain arrests seven over Vinicius racism incidents
- 05/23 17:05 Climate-- 'dangerous heat' could afflict billions by 2100
- 05/23 17:03 Harvard study finds implicit racial bias highest among white people
- 05/23 17:00 New Zealand sheep outnumber people less than 5 to 1, a record low
- 05/23 16:58 Macron makes first French presidential visit to Mongolia
- 05/23 16:56 Godard's afterlife begins at Cannes
- 05/23 16:53 Spain opens investigation into racist abuse of Vinicius
- 05/22 17:22 Private mission carrying Saudi astronauts launches to ISS
- 05/22 17:20 Guitar smashed by Nirvana's Kurt Cobain sells for nearly $600,000
- 05/22 17:19 Building 'Mad Max' vehicles for Ukraine's fighters
- 05/22 17:18 Paris sees success in bringing Zelensky to G7
- 05/22 17:16 'I love being older', says Harrison Ford as he retires Indiana Jones
- 05/22 17:14 After SpaceX, NASA taps Bezos's Blue Origin to build Moon lander
- 05/19 18:43 London show explores sari's 21st century reinvention
- 05/19 17:15 DNA study of famed US sled dog shows what made him so tough
- 05/19 17:12 India's top court upholds bull-taming festival
- 05/19 17:11 Turks in Germany hope for citizenship law overhaul
- 05/19 17:07 Italy flood deaths rise to 13 as thousands wait to come home
- 05/19 17:06 Nadal pulls out of French Open, set to end career in 2024