HOME > AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL > Article
Taiwan says last wartime 'comfort woman' dies at 92
Taiwan's last known survivor of Japan's wartime sexual slavery has died at the age of 92, the island's foreign ministry said Tuesday, calling the issue a wound in human history.
Referred to as comfort women, more than 200,000 women were sexually enslaved by Japan's military during World War II, mostly from South Korea but also from other parts of Asia.
In Taiwan, which Japan ruled from 1895-1945, nearly 60 women had come forward over the years as survivors, according to Taipei's Women's Rescue Foundation. However, it estimates there were at least 2,000.
The foundation said on Monday the island's last known survivor, referred to as grandma, died on May 10 at the age of 92.
The 'comfort woman' issue is a wound in human history and the government has attached great importance to the dignity and welfare of former Taiwanese (survivors), Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesman Jeff Liu said Tuesday.
(The government) has continued to express concerns to the Japanese government... and urge the Japanese side to face our demand to apologise and compensate Taiwanese 'comfort women' and their families, he said.
Japan's wartime enslavement of women is a politically charged issue across Asia.
While the government has acknowledged Japan's past atrocities, critics say officials throughout the decades have refused to take full responsibility for the enslavement of women.
The Japanese government has said the victims were recruited by civilians to military brothels that were commercially operated.
The issue has sparked protests in Taiwan, with women's groups lobbying for compensation for its survivors -- something only South Korea has formally received.
Taipei's Women Rescue Foundation said, even with the death of the last grandma, they would continue to demand that Japan compensate victims.
Although all the grandmas have passed away, we believe that their spirit will remain in our hearts forever, the group said, vowing to advocate for the history of Taiwanese survivors to be included in school books.
This piece of history will not disappear due to the death of the grandmas.
(2023/05/24 17:31)<!-eng:-> Click Here for Japanese Translation
AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL
- 05/26 17:13 Australia told to shoot kangaroos before they starve
- 05/26 17:12 Musk's Neuralink says cleared for human test of brain implants
- 05/26 17:11 US Navy probe finds major problems with SEAL training
- 05/26 17:10 Peru seizes cocaine bricks wrapped in Nazi insignia
- 05/26 17:09 Animal rights activists 'rescue' lambs from farm on royal estate
- 05/26 17:04 South Korea hails successful launch of homegrown rocket
- 05/25 19:35 Miami zoo's meet-a-kiwi scheme ruffles feathers in New Zealand
- 05/25 19:31 $6 mn raised to preserve Nina Simone's childhood home
- 05/25 19:26 Barcelona veteran Alba leaving club after 11 years
- 05/25 19:21 'Wide open' for business-- Russia makes play for Gulf money
- 05/25 19:08 French defender Le Normand obtains Spanish nationality
- 05/25 19:00 US top health official sounds alarm on child social media use
- 05/24 17:36 Netflix expands password-sharing crackdown worldwide
- 05/24 17:33 Police search Portugal reservoir in Madeleine McCann case
- 05/24 17:32 Mexico raises alert level as volcano ejects smoke, ash, lava
- 05/24 17:31 Taiwan says last wartime 'comfort woman' dies at 92
- 05/24 17:29 New Zealand fights to save its flightless national bird
- 05/24 17:25 Spain arrests seven over Vinicius racism incidents
- 05/23 17:05 Climate-- 'dangerous heat' could afflict billions by 2100
- 05/23 17:03 Harvard study finds implicit racial bias highest among white people
- 05/23 17:00 New Zealand sheep outnumber people less than 5 to 1, a record low
- 05/23 16:58 Macron makes first French presidential visit to Mongolia
- 05/23 16:56 Godard's afterlife begins at Cannes
- 05/23 16:53 Spain opens investigation into racist abuse of Vinicius
- 05/22 17:22 Private mission carrying Saudi astronauts launches to ISS
- 05/22 17:20 Guitar smashed by Nirvana's Kurt Cobain sells for nearly $600,000
- 05/22 17:19 Building 'Mad Max' vehicles for Ukraine's fighters
- 05/22 17:18 Paris sees success in bringing Zelensky to G7
- 05/22 17:16 'I love being older', says Harrison Ford as he retires Indiana Jones
- 05/22 17:14 After SpaceX, NASA taps Bezos's Blue Origin to build Moon lander
- 05/19 18:43 London show explores sari's 21st century reinvention
- 05/19 17:15 DNA study of famed US sled dog shows what made him so tough
- 05/19 17:12 India's top court upholds bull-taming festival
- 05/19 17:11 Turks in Germany hope for citizenship law overhaul
- 05/19 17:07 Italy flood deaths rise to 13 as thousands wait to come home
- 05/19 17:06 Nadal pulls out of French Open, set to end career in 2024