HOME > AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL > Article
French defender Le Normand obtains Spanish nationality
French defender Robin Le Normand has obtained Spanish nationality according to an Official State Bulletin (BOE) published on Wednesday.
The 26-year-old Real Sociedad centre-back is set to follow in Aymeric Laporte and Diego Costa's footsteps as a nationalised Spain player.
A Spanish Football Federation source told AFP in February that Le Normand had begun the process in order to play for Luis de la Fuente's side.
Le Normand is expected to be called up by the coach for the Nations League final four in June, where Spain face Italy in the semi-finals.
Le Normand has not played for France and because of the dual nationality agreement with Spain, will not need to renounce his French nationality.
Former Manchester City defender Laporte, who obtained Spanish nationality in 2021, featured for Spain at the 2022 World Cup.
Costa did the same in 2013 and featured at the 2014 World Cup.
Le Normand arrived at Real Sociedad in 2016 at 19 years old and has developed into one of La Liga's best defenders, helping his side virtually seal Champions League qualification for the first time in 10 years.
The defender had previously said his intention was to play for the French national team.
I really thank Spain for the opportunity it has given me, through Real Sociedad, to play professionally, an opportunity I did not have in France, Le Normand told Spanish newspaper AS in October.
But I'm French and I feel that way, and my objective is to play for the French national team, which is my national team.
(2023/05/25 19:08)<!-eng:-> Click Here for Japanese Translation
AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL
- 05/26 17:13 Australia told to shoot kangaroos before they starve
- 05/26 17:12 Musk's Neuralink says cleared for human test of brain implants
- 05/26 17:11 US Navy probe finds major problems with SEAL training
- 05/26 17:10 Peru seizes cocaine bricks wrapped in Nazi insignia
- 05/26 17:09 Animal rights activists 'rescue' lambs from farm on royal estate
- 05/26 17:04 South Korea hails successful launch of homegrown rocket
- 05/25 19:35 Miami zoo's meet-a-kiwi scheme ruffles feathers in New Zealand
- 05/25 19:31 $6 mn raised to preserve Nina Simone's childhood home
- 05/25 19:26 Barcelona veteran Alba leaving club after 11 years
- 05/25 19:21 'Wide open' for business-- Russia makes play for Gulf money
- 05/25 19:08 French defender Le Normand obtains Spanish nationality
- 05/25 19:00 US top health official sounds alarm on child social media use
- 05/24 17:36 Netflix expands password-sharing crackdown worldwide
- 05/24 17:33 Police search Portugal reservoir in Madeleine McCann case
- 05/24 17:32 Mexico raises alert level as volcano ejects smoke, ash, lava
- 05/24 17:31 Taiwan says last wartime 'comfort woman' dies at 92
- 05/24 17:29 New Zealand fights to save its flightless national bird
- 05/24 17:25 Spain arrests seven over Vinicius racism incidents
- 05/23 17:05 Climate-- 'dangerous heat' could afflict billions by 2100
- 05/23 17:03 Harvard study finds implicit racial bias highest among white people
- 05/23 17:00 New Zealand sheep outnumber people less than 5 to 1, a record low
- 05/23 16:58 Macron makes first French presidential visit to Mongolia
- 05/23 16:56 Godard's afterlife begins at Cannes
- 05/23 16:53 Spain opens investigation into racist abuse of Vinicius
- 05/22 17:22 Private mission carrying Saudi astronauts launches to ISS
- 05/22 17:20 Guitar smashed by Nirvana's Kurt Cobain sells for nearly $600,000
- 05/22 17:19 Building 'Mad Max' vehicles for Ukraine's fighters
- 05/22 17:18 Paris sees success in bringing Zelensky to G7
- 05/22 17:16 'I love being older', says Harrison Ford as he retires Indiana Jones
- 05/22 17:14 After SpaceX, NASA taps Bezos's Blue Origin to build Moon lander
- 05/19 18:43 London show explores sari's 21st century reinvention
- 05/19 17:15 DNA study of famed US sled dog shows what made him so tough
- 05/19 17:12 India's top court upholds bull-taming festival
- 05/19 17:11 Turks in Germany hope for citizenship law overhaul
- 05/19 17:07 Italy flood deaths rise to 13 as thousands wait to come home
- 05/19 17:06 Nadal pulls out of French Open, set to end career in 2024