HOME > AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL > Article
US Navy probe finds major problems with SEAL training
A US Navy investigation released Thursday identified major concerns with the brutally difficult training that produces members of the elite SEALs special forces.
The probe -- which was launched following the February 2022 death of Seaman Kyle Mullen during training -- found failures across multiple systems that led to a number of candidates being at a high risk of serious injury.
It highlighted problems including insufficient oversight by leadership, lack of risk assessment, a medical system not trained, organized, integrated, or drilled to ensure continuous effective medical monitoring or care, and performance-enhancing drug use.
Mullen died of what was ultimately diagnosed as pneumonia just after completing Hell Week -- during which candidates are pushed to their physical limits while being deprived of sleep -- while other members of his training class were hospitalized, the investigation found.
He and other class members received medical care for respiratory issues during Hell Week, but that information was not provided to the clinic that conducted the final medical check following its conclusion, and it cleared him to rest in the barracks.
In the barracks, he was monitored by junior watchstanders with no medical or emergency care training -- one of whom who did however call a duty medical officer as Mullen's condition worsened.
The medical officer said the seaman could go to the hospital if he was in bad shape but that all candidates would be evaluated in the morning, and Mullen repeatedly declined to do so.
Mullen only received medical treatment after a class officer later called 911 when told by the watchstanders that the seaman's condition was declining.
The Navy SEALs have carried out some of America's most dangerous and storied raids, including the May 2011 killing of Al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden in Pakistan.
SEAL is an acronym for Sea, Air, Land, reflecting their specialized capabilities.
(2023/05/26 17:11)<!-eng:-> Click Here for Japanese Translation
AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL
- 05/26 17:13 Australia told to shoot kangaroos before they starve
- 05/26 17:12 Musk's Neuralink says cleared for human test of brain implants
- 05/26 17:11 US Navy probe finds major problems with SEAL training
- 05/26 17:10 Peru seizes cocaine bricks wrapped in Nazi insignia
- 05/26 17:09 Animal rights activists 'rescue' lambs from farm on royal estate
- 05/26 17:04 South Korea hails successful launch of homegrown rocket
- 05/25 19:35 Miami zoo's meet-a-kiwi scheme ruffles feathers in New Zealand
- 05/25 19:31 $6 mn raised to preserve Nina Simone's childhood home
- 05/25 19:26 Barcelona veteran Alba leaving club after 11 years
- 05/25 19:21 'Wide open' for business-- Russia makes play for Gulf money
- 05/25 19:08 French defender Le Normand obtains Spanish nationality
- 05/25 19:00 US top health official sounds alarm on child social media use
- 05/24 17:36 Netflix expands password-sharing crackdown worldwide
- 05/24 17:33 Police search Portugal reservoir in Madeleine McCann case
- 05/24 17:32 Mexico raises alert level as volcano ejects smoke, ash, lava
- 05/24 17:31 Taiwan says last wartime 'comfort woman' dies at 92
- 05/24 17:29 New Zealand fights to save its flightless national bird
- 05/24 17:25 Spain arrests seven over Vinicius racism incidents
- 05/23 17:05 Climate-- 'dangerous heat' could afflict billions by 2100
- 05/23 17:03 Harvard study finds implicit racial bias highest among white people
- 05/23 17:00 New Zealand sheep outnumber people less than 5 to 1, a record low
- 05/23 16:58 Macron makes first French presidential visit to Mongolia
- 05/23 16:56 Godard's afterlife begins at Cannes
- 05/23 16:53 Spain opens investigation into racist abuse of Vinicius
- 05/22 17:22 Private mission carrying Saudi astronauts launches to ISS
- 05/22 17:20 Guitar smashed by Nirvana's Kurt Cobain sells for nearly $600,000
- 05/22 17:19 Building 'Mad Max' vehicles for Ukraine's fighters
- 05/22 17:18 Paris sees success in bringing Zelensky to G7
- 05/22 17:16 'I love being older', says Harrison Ford as he retires Indiana Jones
- 05/22 17:14 After SpaceX, NASA taps Bezos's Blue Origin to build Moon lander
- 05/19 18:43 London show explores sari's 21st century reinvention
- 05/19 17:15 DNA study of famed US sled dog shows what made him so tough
- 05/19 17:12 India's top court upholds bull-taming festival
- 05/19 17:11 Turks in Germany hope for citizenship law overhaul
- 05/19 17:07 Italy flood deaths rise to 13 as thousands wait to come home
- 05/19 17:06 Nadal pulls out of French Open, set to end career in 2024