Sardine dish poisons to death diner in France
A woman has died from botulism after eating sardines at a Bordeaux restaurant and 12 other people, mostly foreigners, are being treated for the rare condition, French health officials said Wednesday.
Botulism is a serious neurological illness typically brought on by eating food that has been improperly preserved.
The city centre restaurant had preserved the sardines itself, the DGS health authority said late Tuesday.
At Bordeaux's Pellegrin hospital, Dr Benjamin Clouzeau said the woman had checked into a hospital near Paris after travelling back with her partner. She returned home and died there. Her partner remains in intensive care.
In total 12 people were still receiving emergency treatment Wednesday, health services said. Five were on respiratory support.
They include American, Irish, German and Canadian nationals, he said.
A German travelled home for treatment, as did a resident of Barcelona, Spain, the doctor said.
All of them had eaten at the restaurant, the Tchin Tchin Wine Bar between September 4 and 10 when there are typically large numbers of tourists in the southwestern town, famous for wine and food.
They all had sardines that had been stored by the restaurant owner himself in jars, the DGS said.
- 'Strong smell' -
Botulism is deadly in five to 10 percent of cases because of a toxin that can be generated by clostridium botulinum bacteria when preserved food is insufficiently sterilised.
Authorities were still running tests at the restaurant, the DGS said, adding it could not rule out further cases of botulism which has an incubation period of up to several days.
They were trying to contact other people who may have eaten sardines at the restaurant. A total of 25 people could be affected, they said.
The illness can cause muscle paralysis lasting several weeks, with the most immediate danger stemming from affected respiratory muscles.
An international health alert has gone out asking hospitals to look out for patients who have recently been to Bordeaux and have symptoms including diarrhoea, vomiting or problems with vision or speech.
Anti-toxins from military stocks were being brought to Bordeaux.
Local newspaper Sud-Ouest quoted the restaurant owner as saying he had thrown out some of the jars containing sardines because of a strong smell from the containers when opened.
But others appeared in good condition and were served up to customers, he said.
The restaurant was closed Wednesday and the owner told to abstain from any more home-made sardine preparations, with the authorities seizing the remaining sardines for further testing.
The establishment, which had never had previous hygiene, will be thoroughly cleaned.
(2023/09/14 17:19)Click Here for Japanese Translation
AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL
- 09/22 16:04 Goat vibrations-- Animals teach surfers in California
- 09/22 16:02 World's oldest wooden structure discovered in Zambia
- 09/22 16:01 In sleepy Montenegro, competitors shatter records at the 'Lazy Olympics'
- 09/22 16:00 'Embrace the hate'-- Ukraine military's trans spokesperson
- 09/22 15:59 France sounds alert on primates' skulls trafficking
- 09/22 15:56 Federer eyes future captaincy for Europe at Laver Cup
- 09/21 17:03 Ukraine war amputees tackle mountain hike
- 09/21 17:02 Venezuela seizes control of gang-run prison with pool, disco
- 09/21 16:58 Ukraine's first lady at UN-- help bring 'abducted' children home
- 09/21 16:57 Teen's classroom arrest on bullying claims riles France
- 09/21 16:55 Taiwan's TSMC to help train German students for semiconductor careers
- 09/21 16:53 France's iconic 'Liberty' painting gets Louvre facelift
- 09/20 16:39 Water shortage drives elephant migration from Zimbabwe
- 09/20 16:38 Tire maker honored for tackling electric car pollution
- 09/20 16:37 Avian flu hits bird paradise of Galapagos Islands
- 09/20 16:35 Foreign business lobbies warn working in China harder than ever
- 09/20 16:33 Parents of French schoolboy who killed himself 'appalled' by treatment
- 09/20 16:31 Most Spanish women footballers rejoin squad after deal
- 09/19 16:48 Acai berry craze-- boon or threat for the Amazon?
- 09/19 16:45 Trump says his problem with Biden is competence, not age
- 09/19 16:44 India's Nipah virus outbreak-- what do we know so far?
- 09/19 16:43 Spain players reiterate strike intention despite national call-up
- 09/19 16:40 Thousands stage climate protests across Germany
- 09/19 16:40 France probes deaths of Champagne workers in heatwave
- 09/15 16:21 Ukraine 'abortion fairy' helps refugees in Poland
- 09/15 16:19 France targets incest for first time in national campaign
- 09/15 16:18 Italian police find stolen treasures at Australian museum
- 09/15 15:35 'Fuel of the future'-- Gulf states bet on 'green' hydrogen
- 09/15 15:34 UK man swims entire New York river in clean-water campaign
- 09/15 15:33 Women to referee at men's Asian Cup for first time
- 09/14 17:26 Alleged bodies of 'non-human beings' shown in Mexican Congress
- 09/14 17:25 Suu Kyi party says Myanmar junta depriving her of medical care
- 09/14 17:24 UK police arrest three relatives on return from Pakistan over girl's death
- 09/14 17:23 Norway's princess to marry her shaman in August 2024
- 09/14 17:20 Austrian ex-minister settles in Russia, with ponies in tow
- 09/14 17:19 Sardine dish poisons to death diner in France