Women to referee at men's Asian Cup for first time
Women including Japanese trailblazer Yoshimi Yamashita will referee at the men's Asian Cup for the first time next year in Qatar, officials said Thursday.
Yamashita, who was also selected for the 2022 men's World Cup in Qatar, has been chosen alongside four other women for the regional championship in January-February.
For the first time ever, women match officials are poised to make their debut at Asia's most prestigious men's national team competition, the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) said in a statement.
The Video Assistant Referee (VAR) system will also make its full debut at the tournament, the AFC said.
The Asian Cup will have 24 teams for the first time and hosts Qatar are the reigning champions.
Japan and South Korea will also be among the favourites after reaching the World Cup last 16 in Qatar.
Last month the AFC announced it would launch an Asian women's Champions League next year.
(2023/09/15 15:33)Click Here for Japanese Translation
AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL
- 09/22 16:04 Goat vibrations-- Animals teach surfers in California
- 09/22 16:02 World's oldest wooden structure discovered in Zambia
- 09/22 16:01 In sleepy Montenegro, competitors shatter records at the 'Lazy Olympics'
- 09/22 16:00 'Embrace the hate'-- Ukraine military's trans spokesperson
- 09/22 15:59 France sounds alert on primates' skulls trafficking
- 09/22 15:56 Federer eyes future captaincy for Europe at Laver Cup
- 09/21 17:03 Ukraine war amputees tackle mountain hike
- 09/21 17:02 Venezuela seizes control of gang-run prison with pool, disco
- 09/21 16:58 Ukraine's first lady at UN-- help bring 'abducted' children home
- 09/21 16:57 Teen's classroom arrest on bullying claims riles France
- 09/21 16:55 Taiwan's TSMC to help train German students for semiconductor careers
- 09/21 16:53 France's iconic 'Liberty' painting gets Louvre facelift
- 09/20 16:39 Water shortage drives elephant migration from Zimbabwe
- 09/20 16:38 Tire maker honored for tackling electric car pollution
- 09/20 16:37 Avian flu hits bird paradise of Galapagos Islands
- 09/20 16:35 Foreign business lobbies warn working in China harder than ever
- 09/20 16:33 Parents of French schoolboy who killed himself 'appalled' by treatment
- 09/20 16:31 Most Spanish women footballers rejoin squad after deal
- 09/19 16:48 Acai berry craze-- boon or threat for the Amazon?
- 09/19 16:45 Trump says his problem with Biden is competence, not age
- 09/19 16:44 India's Nipah virus outbreak-- what do we know so far?
- 09/19 16:43 Spain players reiterate strike intention despite national call-up
- 09/19 16:40 Thousands stage climate protests across Germany
- 09/19 16:40 France probes deaths of Champagne workers in heatwave
- 09/15 16:21 Ukraine 'abortion fairy' helps refugees in Poland
- 09/15 16:19 France targets incest for first time in national campaign
- 09/15 16:18 Italian police find stolen treasures at Australian museum
- 09/15 15:35 'Fuel of the future'-- Gulf states bet on 'green' hydrogen
- 09/15 15:34 UK man swims entire New York river in clean-water campaign
- 09/15 15:33 Women to referee at men's Asian Cup for first time
- 09/14 17:26 Alleged bodies of 'non-human beings' shown in Mexican Congress
- 09/14 17:25 Suu Kyi party says Myanmar junta depriving her of medical care
- 09/14 17:24 UK police arrest three relatives on return from Pakistan over girl's death
- 09/14 17:23 Norway's princess to marry her shaman in August 2024
- 09/14 17:20 Austrian ex-minister settles in Russia, with ponies in tow
- 09/14 17:19 Sardine dish poisons to death diner in France