UK man swims entire New York river in clean-water campaign
British endurance swimmer Lewis Pugh on Wednesday completed a 315-mile (500-kilometer) journey down New York's Hudson River, highlighting its successful decades-long cleanup as a beacon for other waterways.
Fifty years ago, this was one of the most polluted rivers in the whole world, said Pugh, 53, who was appointed the first UN patron of the oceans a decade ago.
We need to have clean, healthy rivers, he told reporters after completing the unassisted trip from the Hudson's mountain source all the way down to New York City.
He said that in New York's industrial past, the river would sometimes change color from day to day, depending on what dyes and other pollutants were dumped or ran off.
But after decades of action to clean up pollution, Pugh was able to safely swim down the river, a month-long feat he said will hopefully inspire others.
They're going to be inspired by what happened here and say to themselves: 'If they can do that in the Hudson, surely we can do it in our river and our river can also be saved,' he said.
Pugh has previously undertaken high-profile swims in Antarctica, the North Pole and the Red Sea to advocate for rivers clean enough to swim and fish in safely.
His Hudson River feat comes as leaders from the around the globe are set to descend on New York to attend the annual UN General Assembly, during which a historic High Seas Treaty is to be formally signed.
(2023/09/15 15:34)Click Here for Japanese Translation
AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL
- 09/22 16:04 Goat vibrations-- Animals teach surfers in California
- 09/22 16:02 World's oldest wooden structure discovered in Zambia
- 09/22 16:01 In sleepy Montenegro, competitors shatter records at the 'Lazy Olympics'
- 09/22 16:00 'Embrace the hate'-- Ukraine military's trans spokesperson
- 09/22 15:59 France sounds alert on primates' skulls trafficking
- 09/22 15:56 Federer eyes future captaincy for Europe at Laver Cup
- 09/21 17:03 Ukraine war amputees tackle mountain hike
- 09/21 17:02 Venezuela seizes control of gang-run prison with pool, disco
- 09/21 16:58 Ukraine's first lady at UN-- help bring 'abducted' children home
- 09/21 16:57 Teen's classroom arrest on bullying claims riles France
- 09/21 16:55 Taiwan's TSMC to help train German students for semiconductor careers
- 09/21 16:53 France's iconic 'Liberty' painting gets Louvre facelift
- 09/20 16:39 Water shortage drives elephant migration from Zimbabwe
- 09/20 16:38 Tire maker honored for tackling electric car pollution
- 09/20 16:37 Avian flu hits bird paradise of Galapagos Islands
- 09/20 16:35 Foreign business lobbies warn working in China harder than ever
- 09/20 16:33 Parents of French schoolboy who killed himself 'appalled' by treatment
- 09/20 16:31 Most Spanish women footballers rejoin squad after deal
- 09/19 16:48 Acai berry craze-- boon or threat for the Amazon?
- 09/19 16:45 Trump says his problem with Biden is competence, not age
- 09/19 16:44 India's Nipah virus outbreak-- what do we know so far?
- 09/19 16:43 Spain players reiterate strike intention despite national call-up
- 09/19 16:40 Thousands stage climate protests across Germany
- 09/19 16:40 France probes deaths of Champagne workers in heatwave
- 09/15 16:21 Ukraine 'abortion fairy' helps refugees in Poland
- 09/15 16:19 France targets incest for first time in national campaign
- 09/15 16:18 Italian police find stolen treasures at Australian museum
- 09/15 15:35 'Fuel of the future'-- Gulf states bet on 'green' hydrogen
- 09/15 15:34 UK man swims entire New York river in clean-water campaign
- 09/15 15:33 Women to referee at men's Asian Cup for first time
- 09/14 17:26 Alleged bodies of 'non-human beings' shown in Mexican Congress
- 09/14 17:25 Suu Kyi party says Myanmar junta depriving her of medical care
- 09/14 17:24 UK police arrest three relatives on return from Pakistan over girl's death
- 09/14 17:23 Norway's princess to marry her shaman in August 2024
- 09/14 17:20 Austrian ex-minister settles in Russia, with ponies in tow
- 09/14 17:19 Sardine dish poisons to death diner in France