France probes deaths of Champagne workers in heatwave
French authorities were on Thursday investigating the deaths of four people who were harvesting grapes in the famed Champagne region, as locals suspected they suffered sunstroke in unusually high outdoor temperatures.
Prosecutors in the cities of Reims and Chalons-en-Champagne said two men died in recent days while picking grapes, one woman died at home a few days after feeling faint during her vineyard work, while a fourth died in hospital after falling from a straddle tractor without showing any physical injuries from the fall.
None of the deaths was being considered suspicious and no autopsies ordered, prosecutors said.
They declined to comment on any possible link to high temperatures, reported at up to 34 Celsius (93F) in the region at the end of last week.
But winegrowers said the heat might be to blame.
Maybe it will turn out that the sun had something to do with this, said Maxime Toubart, head of the Champagne growers' association.
I am very sad, he told AFP. People don't join the harvest to lose their lives.
Some 120,000 people were helping with the two-week harvest every year and obviously you're going to have some accidents, he said. Every year, one or two people died from heart failure or aneurysms, he said.
One risk factor was the lack of physical preparedness for what was a demanding job, he said.
More and people come here without being in the physical shape needed for outdoor work. Some young people don't have breakfast, don't hydrate, are on medication or working shirtless, he said.
Grapes for champagne are grown on 34 hectares in eastern France, where over 16,000 growers produce over 300 million bottles of champagne each year.
The United States are the main export market for champagne, followed by the United Kingdom, Japan and Germany.
(2023/09/19 16:40)Click Here for Japanese Translation
AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL
- 09/22 16:04 Goat vibrations-- Animals teach surfers in California
- 09/22 16:02 World's oldest wooden structure discovered in Zambia
- 09/22 16:01 In sleepy Montenegro, competitors shatter records at the 'Lazy Olympics'
- 09/22 16:00 'Embrace the hate'-- Ukraine military's trans spokesperson
- 09/22 15:59 France sounds alert on primates' skulls trafficking
- 09/22 15:56 Federer eyes future captaincy for Europe at Laver Cup
- 09/21 17:03 Ukraine war amputees tackle mountain hike
- 09/21 17:02 Venezuela seizes control of gang-run prison with pool, disco
- 09/21 16:58 Ukraine's first lady at UN-- help bring 'abducted' children home
- 09/21 16:57 Teen's classroom arrest on bullying claims riles France
- 09/21 16:55 Taiwan's TSMC to help train German students for semiconductor careers
- 09/21 16:53 France's iconic 'Liberty' painting gets Louvre facelift
- 09/20 16:39 Water shortage drives elephant migration from Zimbabwe
- 09/20 16:38 Tire maker honored for tackling electric car pollution
- 09/20 16:37 Avian flu hits bird paradise of Galapagos Islands
- 09/20 16:35 Foreign business lobbies warn working in China harder than ever
- 09/20 16:33 Parents of French schoolboy who killed himself 'appalled' by treatment
- 09/20 16:31 Most Spanish women footballers rejoin squad after deal
- 09/19 16:48 Acai berry craze-- boon or threat for the Amazon?
- 09/19 16:45 Trump says his problem with Biden is competence, not age
- 09/19 16:44 India's Nipah virus outbreak-- what do we know so far?
- 09/19 16:43 Spain players reiterate strike intention despite national call-up
- 09/19 16:40 Thousands stage climate protests across Germany
- 09/19 16:40 France probes deaths of Champagne workers in heatwave
- 09/15 16:21 Ukraine 'abortion fairy' helps refugees in Poland
- 09/15 16:19 France targets incest for first time in national campaign
- 09/15 16:18 Italian police find stolen treasures at Australian museum
- 09/15 15:35 'Fuel of the future'-- Gulf states bet on 'green' hydrogen
- 09/15 15:34 UK man swims entire New York river in clean-water campaign
- 09/15 15:33 Women to referee at men's Asian Cup for first time
- 09/14 17:26 Alleged bodies of 'non-human beings' shown in Mexican Congress
- 09/14 17:25 Suu Kyi party says Myanmar junta depriving her of medical care
- 09/14 17:24 UK police arrest three relatives on return from Pakistan over girl's death
- 09/14 17:23 Norway's princess to marry her shaman in August 2024
- 09/14 17:20 Austrian ex-minister settles in Russia, with ponies in tow
- 09/14 17:19 Sardine dish poisons to death diner in France