Abe Orders Focused Response to Hostage Crisis
Tokyo, Jan. 31 (Jiji Press)--With no word on the fate of Japanese freelance journalist Kenji Goto, who has been held captive by Islamic State militants, Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe instructed his government Saturday to remain focused in its efforts to win his release.
Noting that the situation is extremely difficult, Abe also called for close cooperation with Jordan and other related countries.
Abe gave the instruction at a meeting with Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga and Foreign Minister Fumio Kishida, who visited Abe's official residence to report on the present state of affairs regarding the hostage crisis.
No new message has been released by the militant group since what appears to be Goto's voice message was posted online on Thursday.
In the message, the militants demanded that Jordan release a failed suicide bomber on death row in the country in exchange for freeing Goto. They warned that a Jordanian air force pilot also in Islamic State captivity would be killed immediately if the demand is not met. The deadline for the swap passed late Thursday Japan time.
- 01/31 19:52 Abe Orders Focused Response to Hostage Crisis
- 01/31 18:24 Average Japanese Works 16 Hours of Unpaid Overtime Monthly
- 01/31 13:55 U.S. Senator Seeks Japan Farm Market Opening for TPP Deal
- 01/31 13:30 U.S. Would Welcome Japan SDF Air Patrols in South China Sea
- 01/31 00:38 Japan Continues Gathering Info for Goto's Release
- 01/30 18:15 Record 3,953 Teachers Punished for Corporal Punishment in Japan
- 01/30 17:57 Petition Filed to Block Restart of Takahama N-Reactors
- 01/30 16:28 Japan to Curb Pension Payments in FY 2015
- 01/30 14:14 Japan to Win Nonpermanent UNSC Seat for 11th Time
- 01/30 13:18 (Corrected) Japan Dec. Jobless Rate Falls to 3.4 Pct
- 01/30 12:25 Abe Orders Continued Efforts to Free Islamic State Hostage
- 01/30 12:18 Katsuhiro Otomo Wins Top Prize in French Comics Festa
- 01/30 11:55 Captive's Wife Urges Japan, Jordan to Work for His Release
- 01/30 09:16 Japan Dec. Industrial Output Up 1.0 Pct
- 01/30 09:01 Japan Household Spending Down 3.4 Pct in Dec.
- 01/30 08:43 Japan Consumer Prices Up 2.5 Pct in Dec.
- 01/30 02:20 (Update) Sunset Deadline for Hostage Swap Passes
- 01/29 21:57 6 Japan Power Firms, 4 Gas Suppliers to Raise March Rates
- 01/29 19:27 (Update) SDF's Role Limited in Rescue of Japanese Overseas
- 01/29 18:50 Japan, S. Korea Nearly Agreed to Settle Comfort Women Issue
- 01/29 18:36 Japan Govt Ordered to Pay 35 B. Yen to Fuji Heavy
- 01/29 17:46 Kabuki Store to Open at Narita Airport
- 01/29 17:07 No Problem Continuing Flight Services: Skymark Pres.
- 01/29 17:04 Pro-N. Korea Chongryon Property in Tokyo Resold
- 01/29 16:16 Japan Analyzing New Voice Message from Kidnappers
- 01/29 16:04 Record 55.9 B. Yen Stolen in Special Fraud Cases in Japan
- 01/29 15:16 Japan Caused Enormous Trouble to Asian Countries: Abe
- 01/29 13:16 (Update) Bangkok Man in Drag Nabbed for Scam Targeting Only Japanese Men
- 01/29 13:14 Japan's "Shunto" Wage Talks Begin
- 01/29 12:58 Bangkok Man in Drag Nabbed for Scam Targeting Only Japanese Men
- 01/29 11:34 New Message Probably from Japanese Hostage Resets Deadline
- 01/29 07:07 (Update 3) Fate of Hostage Goto Unknown after 24-Hour Deadline Passes
- 01/29 01:38 (Update 2) Fate of Hostage Goto Unknown after 24-Hour Deadline Passes
- 01/29 00:33 (Update) Fate of Hostage Goto Unknown after 24-Hour Deadline Passes
- 01/28 18:03 Japan to Expand Designated Intractable Diseases in July
- 01/28 17:28 Japan MOF Keeps Economic Assessment Unchanged
- 01/28 16:57 Abe Vows to Take on Past Cabinet History Positions
- 01/28 13:41 Turkey Seen Unable to Play Mediator Role in Hostage Crisis
- 01/28 11:30 Japan Reaffirms Close Cooperation with Jordan over Hostage Crisis
- 01/28 01:33 (Update) New Online Image Cites 24-Hour Deadline for Goto's Life
- 01/28 01:00 Mandible Fossil Suggests 4th Group of Early Man in Asia
- 01/27 21:53 Japan Hoping for Hostage Swap for Goto's Release
- 01/27 19:37 Japan Govt Decides on JR Kyushu's Listing in FY 2016
- 01/27 18:31 Japan Govt Urged Not to OK Radioactive Water Release into Sea
- 01/27 17:47 Sony Mulls Sales of Low-Cost Smartphones with Aeon
- 01/27 16:48 Japan to Do All It Can for Release of Hostage Goto: Abe
- 01/27 15:54 Japan to Seek Release of Both Jordan Pilot, Goto
- 01/27 15:50 Japan to See 1st New Domestic Coal Mine in 37 Years
- 01/27 15:34 Japan Govt Agencies to Cooperate in New Dementia Strategy
- 01/27 14:15 30 Pct of 2-Yr-Olds in Japan Watching TV for at Least 2 Hrs per Day
- 01/27 13:13 Lawmaker Deletes Tweet Rapping Abe over Hostage Crisis
- 01/27 09:12 Japan Dec. Services Producer Prices Up 3.6 Pct
- 01/26 22:29 Japanese Hostage Crisis Could Be Prolonged
- 01/26 19:45 Over 16,000 Cases of Objects in Food Reported in Japan since FY 2009
- 01/26 19:32 (Update) Keidanren Chief Calls for Wage Hikes in Coming Shunto Talks
- 01/26 17:18 (Update) Aso Shows Resolve to Ensure Japan Economy's Virtuous Cycle
- 01/26 17:08 Chubu Electric to File for Dry Cask Storage of Spent N-Fuel
- 01/26 15:42 Keidanren Chief Calls for Wage Hikes in Coming Shunto Talks
- 01/26 15:32 Japan Govt to Introduce Security Bills in May
- 01/26 14:58 No Direct Link between Oil Prices, BOJ Oct. Easing: Minutes
- 01/26 14:15 Aso Shows Resolve to Ensure Japan Economy's Virtuous Cycle
- 01/26 13:12 Japan Making Utmost Effort to Save Hostage
- 01/26 10:27 U.N. Security Council Condemns Killing of Japanese Hostage
- 01/26 09:27 Japan Logs Trade Deficit of 660.7 B. Yen in Dec.
- 01/21 14:28 Japan Has No Contact with Islamic State over Hostages