Japan Govt to Step Up Spending Review
Tokyo, March 31 (Jiji Press)--The Japanese government decided Tuesday to step up its review of ways money is used in administrative projects in all fields, including social security and education, to cut wasteful government spending further.
"I want all ministries and agencies to conduct strict self-checks," Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said at a meeting of the Administrative Reform Promotion Council the same day.
"Even spending for the cabinet's key policies will not be given 'sanctuary,'" Abe stressed.
By June, the government will select projects and programs to be checked. It will also come up with reform programs of "great significance," which would require substantial changes in existing administrative structures.
For bold cuts in wasteful spending, successful cost-cutting instances in the private sector will be studied.
- 03/31 23:09 Japan Govt to Step Up Spending Review
- 03/31 21:49 Residential Area of U.S. Camp in Okinawa Returned to Japan
- 03/31 20:51 Japan Diet OKs Tax System Revisions for FY 2015
- 03/31 20:26 63 "Michi no Eki" Rest Areas Designated as Foreign Tourist Centers
- 03/31 19:41 Japan to Kick Off National Campaign to Fight Child Poverty
- 03/31 18:16 Life Term Sought for Ex-Aum Member Takahashi
- 03/31 16:58 INTERVIEW: Japan Envoy Wants Concrete Talks on UNSC Reform
- 03/31 16:06 Tokyo's Shibuya Ward to Issue Certificates Recognizing Same-Sex Couples
- 03/31 15:06 Japan Not to Join China-Led AIIB for Now
- 03/31 13:49 Japan Govt Adopts Bill on Major Revisions to Civil Code
- 03/31 13:28 Japan Sets Goal of Halving Death Toll of Tokyo Quake
- 03/31 12:03 (Update) Japan Extends North Korea Sanctions
- 03/31 10:30 Hiroshima "Memory Keepers" to Pass on A-Bomb Experiences
- 03/30 23:45 Survey Shows Maternity Harassment Rampant at Workplace
- 03/30 23:33 Seoul Court Finds Rumor about Park in Sankei Column False
- 03/30 22:58 Japan Lawmakers to Pitch "Mozu-Furuichi Kofungun" for World Heritage
- 03/30 22:31 (Update) Okinawa's Order to Halt U.S. Base Work Suspended
- 03/30 21:50 On-Site Inspection at Kyushu N-Reactor Begins as Step for Restart
- 03/30 20:54 Japan to Mobilize 140,000 Personnel in Post-Nankai Quake Relief
- 03/30 19:26 Japan to Depend 60 Pct on Nuclear, Other Base Load Power Sources
- 03/30 17:41 Name List Broker Sent to Prosecutors in Benesse Info Leak Case
- 03/30 17:20 Abe Confirms He Called Comfort Women "Human Trafficking" Victims
- 03/30 14:20 Okinawa's Order to Halt U.S. Base Work Suspended
- 03/30 12:18 Narita Airport Effectively Scraps Entrance Checkpoints
- 03/30 08:58 Japan Feb. Industrial Output Down 3.4 Pct
- 03/29 21:43 Abe Attends Funeral for Former Singapore Leader Lee
- 03/29 17:51 (Update) Campaigning Starts for 5 Big City Mayoral Races in Japan
- 03/29 11:30 Japan Increasing Pressure on N. Korea for Abduction Probe
- 03/28 18:57 Emperor Hirohito Best Known Japanese in West; Abe in Asia
- 03/28 17:34 Japan Ruling Party Exec Exchanges Words with China's Xi
- 03/28 16:34 U.S. Heartened by Japan Stance on Base Relocation: Official
- 03/28 14:02 Minister to Suspend Okinawa's Order for Halt to Base Work
- 03/27 20:22 3 Ex-JR West Chiefs Acquitted Again over 2005 Train Crash
- 03/27 15:58 Annals of Late Emperor Hirohito Go on Sale in Japan
- 03/27 15:31 Stalking Victims Account for 10 Pct of Adult Women in Japan
- 03/27 12:16 Abe Invited to Speak at U.S. Congress on April 29
- 03/27 11:18 U.S. Defense Chief Hails Japan's Security Legislation
- 03/27 08:47 Japan Household Spending Down 2.9 Pct in Feb.
- 03/27 08:43 Japan Consumer Prices Up 2.0 Pct in Feb.
- 03/27 08:39 Japan Feb. Jobless Rate Falls to 3.5 Pct
- 03/27 03:18 Japan Stays Calm on S. Korea's Decision to Join China-Led AIIB
- 03/26 20:24 Abe's Trip to Singapore Shows Emphasis on Southeast Asia
- 03/26 18:52 Centennial Photo Exhibit Opens for Hiroshima A-Bomb Dome
- 03/26 18:34 Tokyo's Shibuya Ward to Recognize Same-Sex Couples
- 03/26 17:31 Japan Police Raid Home of Chongryon Chm. Ho
- 03/26 17:16 Child Abuse Victims Hit Record High in Japan
- 03/26 17:09 Campaigning for Japan's Unified Local Elections Kicks Off
- 03/26 16:59 Kerama Islands Mark 70th Anniversary of U.S. Landing
- 03/26 15:58 Himeji Castle in Stark White after Refurbishment
- 03/26 15:17 U.S. Official to Visit Japan to Urge Further Efforts under Hague Treaty
- 03/26 13:25 Japan, U.S. Lawmakers to Study Missile Defense
- 03/26 13:01 Japan Successfully Launches Info Satellite
- 03/26 12:45 Child Porn Cases Hit Record High in Japan in 2014
- 03/26 12:27 Suga Now Willing to Meet with Okinawa Gov.
- 03/26 10:54 2 Japanese Biologists Win Gairdner Int'l Awards