Researchers Aim to Reproduce Japanese Voyage 30,000 Yrs Ago
Tokyo, Feb. 9 (Jiji Press)--A team of Japanese researchers said Tuesday that it will launch a project to reproduce a voyage that Japanese made about 30,000 years ago.
According to the team led by Yosuke Kaifu, head of the Division of Human Evolution at the National Museum of Nature and Science, some ancient Japanese are likely to have traveled by ship or raft from Taiwan to the Sakishima island chain in Okinawa Prefecture, southern Japan.
The team also includes researchers at such institutes as the Okinawa Prefectural Museum & Art Museum, Nanzan University and the University of Tokyo, as well as explorers.
They plan to build either a ship made of bundled grass or a bamboo raft and set out on experimental voyages from the island of Yonaguni to the island of Iriomote, both in Okinawa, in July this year, and from Taiwan to Yonaguni in July 2017.
The total cost will be approximately 50 million yen, of which 20 million yen needed for the voyage this summer will be covered by donations from the public. The team will solicit for contributions on the Internet until April 12 and repay all the collected funds if the donations fail to reach the target.
- 02/09 18:24 Researchers Aim to Reproduce Japanese Voyage 30,000 Yrs Ago
- 02/09 17:14 Japan Drops World Heritage Bid for Christian Sites
- 02/09 16:32 Power Outage Disrupts Hokkaido Shinkansen Evacuation Drill
- 02/09 15:45 Japan Lower House Raps N. Korea's Missile Launch
- 02/09 11:42 Chinese Navy Ship Sails off Chiba Pref.
- 02/09 10:30 In Election Shift, LDP Turning to Youth, Inequality Issues
- 02/08 15:41 Japan to Impose Tougher Sanctions against N. Korea
- 02/08 14:46 Earthquake Drills Held in Akihabara, Elsewhere in Tokyo
- 02/08 14:01 Japan Lower House to Strongly Condemn N. Korea's Missile Launch
- 02/08 12:59 BOJ Policymakers Divided over Negative Interest Rates
- 02/08 12:34 U.N. Security Council Strongly Condemns N. Korea's Missile Launch
- 02/08 09:58 Japan Monthly Wages Up 0.1 Pct in 2015
- 02/08 09:02 Japan Dec. Current Account Surplus Jumps Fourfold
- 02/07 17:42 (Update 3) North Korea Fires Long-Range Ballistic Missile
- 02/07 13:52 (Update) Japan Protests North Korea's Missile Launch
- 02/07 07:41 80 Pct of Local Authorities Confident on Political Neutrality at High Schools
- 02/06 20:24 (Update) N. Korea Moves Up Planned Missile Launch to as Early as Sun.
- 02/06 19:55 PAC-3 Missile Battery Arrives at Remote Japan Island
- 02/06 18:20 Japan Mulling Donations for Wooden Seats at Olympic Stadium
- 02/05 23:39 (Update) Sakurajima Volcano Erupts in Southwestern Japan
- 02/05 20:54 Japan Signs Investment Pact with Iran
- 02/05 20:30 Japan Revving Up Preparations for N. Korea Missile
- 02/05 20:18 Sakurajima Volcano Erupts in Southwestern Japan
- 02/05 16:56 Japan Adopts Bill to Facilitate Apartment Complex Redevelopment
- 02/05 16:06 J-Alert Drill Held in Okinawa for N. Korean Missile
- 02/04 23:25 Japan Eager for Early Diet Approval of TPP
- 02/04 21:44 Skipping Breakfast Raises Risk of Brain Hemorrhage: Japan Team
- 02/04 17:38 Talks Start for Promoting Attractions of Japan Cities
- 02/04 16:49 Japan Govt OKs Multiple-Site Storage of Radioactive Waste
- 02/04 14:07 (Update) 12 Nations Sign TPP to Create Huge Trade Bloc
- 02/03 22:19 Ueno Zoo to Try to Put Giant Pandas into Mating Mode
- 02/03 21:38 Japan Deploying 3 Aegis Ships to Shoot Down N. Korean Missile
- 02/03 20:48 Arrested Ex-Baseball Star Kiyohara Admits Stimulant Use