Master Records of Late Emperor's War-End Broadcast Released
Tokyo, Aug. 1 (Jiji Press)--The Imperial Household Agency publicly released for the first time on Saturday the master records and digital recordings of the radio broadcast in which Emperor Hirohito declared Japan's surrender in World War II in 1945.
As this year marks the 70th anniversary of the end of the war, the agency also released for the first time in 50 years photos, floor plans and other materials relating to an air raid shelter inside the Imperial Palace, the venue of the Imperial Conference in which the late Emperor, then the supreme commander of the Japanese military, decided to accept unconditional surrender.
The materials, symbolizing the end of the war, will be uploaded to the agency's website to help people wishing to look back at that time.
The recording of the war-end declaration took place late at night on Aug 14, 1945, in a room of the building of the former Imperial Household Ministry. The Emperor, posthumously called Emperor Showa, read the Imperial rescript declaring the end of the war in front of a microphone twice.
According to the agency, it had kept two sets of master records--one with two discs and the other with three--of the radio broadcast at noon on Aug. 15, 1945. The set of two discs was still playable.
- 08/01 05:00 Master Records of Late Emperor's War-End Broadcast Released
- 07/31 22:38 One Missing after Fire on Ferry off Hokkaido
- 07/31 22:05 U.S. Intelligence Has Spied on 35 Japan Targets, Including Cabinet: WikiLeaks
- 07/31 19:39 Sendai N-Reactor Could Restart on Aug. 10 to End Japan's N-Free Period
- 07/31 18:58 Nagasaki Peace Declaration to Mention National Security Debates
- 07/31 18:43 (Update) 3 Ex-TEPCO Execs to Face Criminal Trial over N-Accident
- 07/31 16:44 Okinawa Governor Stresses Legal Flaws in Landfill Permit
- 07/31 15:45 Hiroshima Declaration to Highlight Generosity, Love for Humanity
- 07/31 13:07 39 Pct of Japan's FY 2014 Reconstruction Budget Unexecuted
- 07/31 12:09 BOJ Had Heated Debate in 2005 on Prospect for Exit from Easing: Minutes
- 07/31 09:27 Jimmy Page Lays Flowers for Hiroshima A-Bomb Victims
- 07/31 08:41 Japan Household Spending Down 2.0 Pct in June
- 07/31 08:39 Japan Core Consumer Prices Up 0.1 Pct in June
- 07/31 08:36 Japan's Jobless Rate Rises to 3.4 Pct in June
- 07/30 22:09 Upper House to Summon PM Abe's Aide Isozaki Mon.
- 07/30 21:04 232 Job-Hunting Japan Students Suffer from "Owahara"
- 07/30 19:01 Pilot Apparently Lost Control of Plane That Crashed in Tokyo Suburb
- 07/30 18:11 Tokyo Court Orders Halt to SDF Flights at Atsugi Base
- 07/30 17:40 Japanese Women's Life Expectancy Tops Global List for 3rd Year
- 07/30 16:46 Abe Denies Possibility of Japan Introducing Military Conscription
- 07/30 13:26 U.S. May Remove Tariffs on Certain Japanese Beef
- 07/30 08:59 Japan June Industrial Output Up 0.8 Pct
- 07/29 23:07 Clause to Punish Illicit Weapon Use by SDF Abroad Unnecessary: Nakatani
- 07/29 21:23 (Update) IOC OKs Tokyo's Plan to Review Main Stadium Project
- 07/29 21:14 Japan Mulls Lifting Sanctions against Iran
- 07/29 19:15 Japan's Empress Suspected of Myocardial Ischemia
- 07/29 19:12 MOF Says Regions across Japan Recovering for 1st Time in 18 Yrs
- 07/29 17:55 Hadid Sends Offer to PM Abe to Help Review Japan Stadium Project
- 07/29 17:17 Governors Mull Prefecture-Based Upper House Electoral System
- 07/29 16:52 TPP Ministerial Talks Start in Hawaii
- 07/29 14:31 Abe Raps Opposition Camp for Calling Security Bills "War Legislation"
- 07/29 13:34 Japan Panel Agrees on 18-Yen Hike in Minimum Wage
- 07/29 08:42 Mount Ontake Search Resumes for 6 Missing after Eruption
- 07/28 23:47 LDP Asks Govt to Rebut Allegations over "Comfort Women" Issue
- 07/28 22:31 (Update) Frozen Soil Shields Temporarily Disabled at Fukushima N-Plant
- 07/28 22:18 TPP Ministers Likely to Agree on 70-Yr Copyright Protection
- 07/28 20:18 Japan to Push Okinoshima for World Heritage Listing in 2017
- 07/28 18:21 Japan Governors Adopt Declaration of Regional Revitalization
- 07/28 16:48 Frozen Soil Shield Operations Halt at Fukushima N-Plant
- 07/28 16:45 Japan Replaces National Stadium Project Leader
- 07/28 15:57 Abe Reiterates Resolve to Enact Security Bills
- 07/28 12:46 Japan Parliament Passes Upper House Electoral Reform
- 07/28 09:56 Crashed Plane May Have Lost Power due to Mechanical Trouble
- 07/27 23:56 Japan, China Resume Working-Level Economic Talks
- 07/27 22:35 Abe Aide under Fire for Remarks on Security Bills
- 07/27 22:23 Japan's Yui Posts Photo of Japan from ISS on Twitter
- 07/27 22:19 Abe Emphasizes Necessity of Security Bills for Lives, Peace
- 07/27 21:50 Crashed Light Plane's Pilot Engaged in Unauthorized Biz
- 07/27 21:34 Japan Eyes Road Certification Sytem to Promote Cycling Tours
- 07/27 21:12 Local Fishermen to Approve TEPCO's Subdrainage Plan
- 07/27 20:24 TPP to Limit Period for Corporate Complaints against States
- 07/27 18:58 Jiji Press Takes Disciplinary Steps on Reporter's Okinawa Remarks
- 07/27 18:14 Japanese Lawmakers Aim to Salvage Battleship Yamato
- 07/27 17:17 Japan's 1st IVF with 3rd-Party Donor Eggs Carried Out
- 07/27 15:36 Plane May Have Crashed Less Than A Minute after Takeoff
- 07/27 13:42 Japan Upper House Starts Debate on National Security Bills
- 07/27 08:54 Japan June Services Producer Prices Up 0.4 Pct
- 07/27 07:46 (Update) Iwate School Recognizes Bullying behind Student's Suicide
- 07/27 06:55 (Update 4) 3 Dead in Light Plane Crash in Tokyo Residential Area
- 07/26 20:02 Japan to Allow People to Visit Polls with Children