Japan Smoking Rate Falls below 20 Pct for 1st Time
Tokyo, July 30 (Jiji Press)--Japan's smoking rate in 2014 fell below 20 pct for the first time since such statistics began in 1965, Japan Tobacco Inc. <2914> said Wednesday.
The rate decreased for the 19th consecutive year to stand at 19.7 pct, down 1.2 percentage points from the previous year.
The decline reflected growing health consciousness and a shift away from cigarettes accelerated by the April consumption tax hike from 5 pct to 8 pct.
The rate for men fell 1.9 points to 30.3 pct, and that for women dropped 0.7 point to 9.8 pct, slipping below 10 pct for the first time.
The estimated number of smokers stood at 20.59 million, down 1.36 million.
- 07/30 19:04 Japan Smoking Rate Falls below 20 Pct for 1st Time
- 07/30 18:26 INTERVIEW: Suga Eager to Simplify Hometown Tax System
- 07/30 16:46 Yoko Ono Calls for Peace at Event in Hiroshima
- 07/30 16:34 Shioya Picked as Candidate Site for Designated Waste Disposal
- 07/30 14:42 Toyota Remains World's Top Jan.-June Vehicle Seller for 3rd Year
- 07/30 11:51 Japan, Colombia Leaders Agree to Promote Investment
- 07/30 09:06 Japan June Industrial Output Down 3.3 Pct
- 07/29 20:51 DPJ's Noda Urges Abe to Clarify Risks of Collective Self-Defense
- 07/29 19:09 Russia Criticizes Japan for Imposing New Sanctions
- 07/29 18:47 Child Smartphone Users Rapidly Fall Victim to Sex Crimes in Japan
- 07/29 16:33 Moon Has Hot, Viscous Areas Deep Inside: Int'l Study
- 07/29 15:19 China Indicts Japanese Local Assemblyman for Drug Smuggling
- 07/29 14:02 Abe Hopes to Replace LDP Secretary-General Ishiba
- 07/29 08:42 Japan Household Spending Down 3.0 Pct in June
- 07/29 08:37 Japan June Jobless Rate at 3.7 Pct
- 07/29 00:39 Japan to Mull New Aid System for Small Island Nations
- 07/28 22:21 No Clear Effect of Fukushima Groundwater Bypass: TEPCO
- 07/28 22:06 Japan to Set Superficies Rights for Tainted Soil Storage Facilities
- 07/28 21:04 (Update) Japan Announces Additional Sanctions against Russia
- 07/28 21:02 Lavrov Hopes Putin Will Visit Japan as Scheduled
- 07/28 20:34 Contracts Made for 90 Pct of Japan's Pump-Priming Projects
- 07/28 18:42 Fast Food Shops in Japan Start Serving Alcohol
- 07/28 15:54 118 Babies Born with Sperm of Husbands' Fathers at Japan Clinic
- 07/28 14:11 Rail Extension Proposed for Better Accessibility to Haneda Airport
- 07/28 13:17 Japan to Make Senkakus, Takeshima Documents Available Online
- 07/28 12:17 Japan, Trinidad and Tobago Agree to Promote Cooperation
- 07/28 12:16 Sasebo High School Girl Nabbed for Killing Classmate
- 07/27 15:11 Residents near Sendai N-Plant Get Iodine Preparations
- 07/27 01:45 N. Korea Fires Ballistic Missile toward Sea of Japan
- 07/26 18:18 Video of A-Bomb Survivors' Testimonies Posted on Internet
- 07/26 14:06 Japan, Mexico Agree to Boost Energy Cooperation
- 07/26 10:30 Ozawa Desperate Not to Fall Behind Opposition Realignment
- 07/25 23:31 (Update) Abe to Carry Out Cabinet Shakeup in Early Sept.
- 07/25 20:35 Japan Mulling Extra Sanctions on Russia
- 07/25 18:42 Biz Partners of Smaller Japan Manufacturers Keep Shifting to Overseas Production
- 07/25 17:04 Park Urges Japan to Solve Comfort Women Issue in Talks with Masuzoe
- 07/25 13:51 (Update) Japan Sets 4-T.-Yen Budget Quota for Key Policies
- 07/25 12:07 Japan Can Boost Female Workforce by 1 M.: White Paper
- 07/25 11:04 Japan Sets 4-T.-Yen Budget Quota for Key Policies
- 07/25 10:09 Name-List Firm Resells Data on 470,000 Benesse Customers for 1.2 M. Yen
- 07/25 08:58 Japan June Services Producer Prices Up 3.6 Pct
- 07/25 08:37 Japan Consumer Prices Up 3.3 Pct in June