(Update 2) Strong Quake Hits Central Japan
Tokyo, Nov. 22 (Jiji Press)--A strong earthquake with an estimated magnitude of 6.8 hit central Japan Saturday night, injuring several people in Nagano Prefecture.
A total of seven people were injured in the village of Hakuba and the city of Nagano, according to the National Police Agency. A report from a local hospital put the number of injuries at about 20, including three seriously.
The temblor, which struck around 10:08 p.m. (1:08 p.m. GMT), measured lower 6 on the Japanese seismic intensity scale of 7 in the city of Nagano as well as the villages of Otari and Ogawa, according to the Japan Meteorological Agency.
The focus of the quake was about 10 kilometers below the northern part of the prefecture, according to the agency.
Another quake occurred around 10:37 p.m., measuring lower 5 on the Japanese scale in Otari.
- 11/23 02:16 (Update 2) Strong Quake Hits Central Japan
- 11/22 20:46 INTERVIEW: Abe Vows to Cut Corporate Tax
- 11/22 13:52 N-Accident Evacuation Drill Held in Fukushima
- 11/21 23:23 Highly Pathogenic Bird Flu Virus Detected in Chiba Pref.
- 11/21 23:06 Abenomics at Stake in Dec. 14 General Election: Prem. Abe
- 11/21 21:06 Over 1,000 Preparing to Run in Japan General Election
- 11/21 20:53 Election Results May Affect Restart of N-Reactors in Japan
- 11/21 17:25 Abenomics Shows Mixed Results
- 11/21 17:11 Concern Mounting Election Will Delay Growth Strategy in Japan
- 11/21 16:15 10 Years Sought for PC Hijacker in Japan
- 11/21 15:34 Dismantling Work for Tsunami-Hit Fishing Boats Starts in Fukushima
- 11/21 14:20 (Update) Japan Lower House Dissolved for Dec. 14 Election
- 11/21 14:11 Takata Denies Air Bag Defect Cover-Up
- 11/21 12:21 Regional Revitalization Laws Enacted in Japan
- 11/20 21:35 Japan Ruling Bloc Eyes 3-T.-Yen Stimulus Package
- 11/20 20:13 Delay Seen for Revision of Japan-U.S. Defense Cooperation Guidelines
- 11/20 20:10 Japanese Wives' Savings Triple Husbands'
- 11/20 18:06 Japan Eyes Launch of Reduced Tax Rate for Certain Items in April 2017
- 11/20 16:37 English Education to Start in 3rd Grade in Japan
- 11/20 09:01 Japan Logs Trade Deficit of 710 B. Yen in Oct.
- 11/19 23:44 Japan Police Raid China-Linked Server Operators over Banking Fraud
- 11/19 19:27 Japan Diet to OK Regional Revitalization Bills on Fri.
- 11/19 18:14 Visitors to Japan Top 11 Million in Jan.-Oct.
- 11/19 17:10 Ruling Camp Aims for "Absolute Stable Majority" in Lower House
- 11/19 16:22 Japan Govt Asks Businesses for Wage Hikes
- 11/19 15:09 Japan Enacts Bill on Radioactive Soil Interim Storage
- 11/19 14:11 Japan Revises Up Sept. Coincident Index
- 11/19 12:34 Law to Freeze Int'l Terrorist Assets Enacted in Japan
- 11/19 12:30 Japan Enacts Laws to Toughen Penalties for Coral Poaching
- 11/19 12:28 BOJ Keeps Monetary Policy Unchanged
- 11/19 11:11 Takata Air Bag Recalls Widened to Cover Entire U.S.
- 11/19 10:30 GDP Shock May Upset Abe's Election Strategy
- 11/18 23:47 Abe Vows No More Tax Hike Postponement
- 11/18 22:23 (Update) Japan's Abe Announces Tax Hike Delay, General Election
- 11/18 22:13 Abe's Election Decision Angers Disaster-Hit Communities
- 11/18 20:51 Japan Eyes New Voucher System as Part of Economic Package
- 11/18 20:00 Japan's Your Party to Be Dissolved
- 11/18 19:51 Japan's Abe Announces Tax Hike Delay, General Election
- 11/18 16:53 Japan Submits New Research Whaling Plan to IWC
- 11/18 16:05 60 Pct of Experts Back Japan's Tax Hike as Planned
- 11/18 14:55 Japan to Introduce Facial Recognition System at Airports in FY 2017
- 11/18 14:38 NEC, 4 Others Raided over Bid-Rigging for Fire Radio System Works
- 11/18 12:55 Abe to Announce Decision to Dissolve Lower House Tues. Evening
- 11/18 12:41 TEPCO Unable to Stop Tainted Water Flows into Tunnels
- 11/18 10:53 U.S. Committed to Okinawa Base Relocation Plan: Official
- 11/18 10:09 Int'l Body Decides on 20 Pct Hike in Bluefin Tuna Quota
- 11/18 00:38 Concerns Arise over Economic Downturn
- 11/17 23:18 Suspected Bird Flu Case Reported in Tokyo
- 11/17 20:15 Japan's Abe to Order Stimulus Package Compilation on Tues.
- 11/17 16:12 Married Men Spend More Time on Housework than Before
- 11/17 15:53 Japanese Politicians Alarmed by Weak Data