Govt to Allow Use of Fujifilm Drug for Ebola Treatment in Japan
Tokyo, Oct. 24 (Jiji Press)--An experts' panel of Japan's health ministry agreed Friday to allow an antiflu drug developed by a Fujifilm Corp. group company to be used for Ebola if any patient is found in the country.
If Ebola infection is confirmed in Japan, the ministry will allow the administration of favipiravir developed by Toyama Chemical Co., which has yet to be authorized for the disease but may be effective.
Since there is no authorized drug for Ebola, the panel discussed the advisability of using favipiravir.
At a press conference, health minister Yasuhisa Shiozaki said that Japan has stocked enough favipiravir to treat some 20,000 people. The minister indicated that the emergency use of the drug based on a physician's judgment will be permitted.
- 10/24 23:37 Govt to Allow Use of Fujifilm Drug for Ebola Treatment in Japan
- 10/24 20:45 S. Korea's Park Seeks Progress over Comfort Women Issue
- 10/24 17:54 (Update) Japan Begins Work on New Emissions Cut Target
- 10/24 16:17 Protests Block Surveys for Radioactive Waste Facility in Miyagi
- 10/24 16:05 Japan to Check Recent Travel Histories of All Arrivals
- 10/24 15:17 Japan Eyes Fines against Mislabeling
- 10/24 12:56 Japan Govt OKs Bill to Allow All-Night Club Operations
- 10/24 12:26 Japan to Exempt Citizen Judges from Lengthy Trials
- 10/24 10:30 INTERVIEW: Tokyo Olympics to Offer Opportunity to Embrace Latest Tech
- 10/24 09:59 Japan Govt to Ask Diet to OK N-Damage Compensation Pact
- 10/23 23:49 INTERVIEW: Japan to Lower Nuclear Dependence from Predisaster Level
- 10/23 22:48 Riken Execs to Take Pay Cut over STAP Scandal
- 10/23 22:04 (Update) Top Court Nixes Rejection of "Maternity Harassment"
- 10/23 17:59 Japan Team Improves Rat Heart Functions with Human iPS Cells
- 10/23 15:57 Jacket Reveals Courage of Hiker Killed in Ontake Eruption
- 10/22 23:16 APEC Finance Chiefs Concerned about Growing Downside Risks
- 10/22 20:26 Japan's Aso Calls on China for Bilateral Summit
- 10/22 18:40 Visitors to Japan Up 26 Pct in Jan.-Sept.
- 10/22 15:25 Thai Man Admits Murder of Japanese
- 10/22 13:37 Work Begins to Remove Cover of Exploded Unit at Fukushima N-Plant
- 10/22 12:31 U.S. House Panel to Investigate Takata Air Bag Defects
- 10/22 09:26 Japan Logs Trade Deficit of 958.3 B. Yen in Sept.
- 10/22 00:27 Japan Govt Agrees to Settlement of Asbestos Suit
- 10/21 22:12 Minister Resignations Put Worker Dispatch Law Revision at Stake
- 10/21 20:23 Japan's Yachi Expresses Regret over Sankei Reporter Indictment
- 10/21 19:44 Japanese Visit China to Mark 1984 Big Delegation
- 10/21 18:14 Fears Grows over Possible Ebola Outbreak in Japan
- 10/21 17:20 (Update) Japan to Reinforce Monitoring of People from 3 W. Africa States
- 10/21 16:40 Komeito Not to Back Incumbent in Okinawa Gubernatorial Poll
- 10/21 15:38 New Industry, Justice Ministers Take Office in Japan
- 10/21 13:15 80 Pct of U.N. Members Back Statement Calling for N-Arms Abolition
- 10/21 00:21 Japan, U.S. Agree on Base-Related Environment Pact
- 10/20 23:41 (Update) LDP's Miyazawa, Kamikawa to Succeed 2 Departed Ministers
- 10/20 23:11 FBI Agents Join Tokyo Police Counterterrorism Drill
- 10/20 21:26 (Update) Japan to Send Team to N. Korea over Abductee Probe
- 10/20 17:58 Abe's Cabinet Rocked by Resignations
- 10/20 17:06 BOJ Revises Down View on Tohoku Economy
- 10/20 16:35 Citizens Group Files Criminal Complaint against Obuchi
- 10/20 16:13 N. American Tuna Imports Rise in Japan despite Weak Yen
- 10/20 15:35 INTERVIEW: Canada Eager to Start Oil Exports to Japan
- 10/20 14:15 Japan Aug. Coincident CI Revised Down
- 10/20 14:13 (Update) 2 Women in Abe Cabinet Resign over Scandals
- 10/20 12:09 Abe Says Tax Hike "Meaningless" If Too Much Damage on Economy: FT
- 10/20 11:56 Nip Conflict in Bud, Empress Michiko Says on Birthday
- 10/20 09:24 Japan Economic Minister Obuchi Resigns over Money Scandal
- 10/20 02:03 Scandal-Hit Obuchi to Quit Mon., Matsushima Also Under Pressure
- 10/19 19:48 Opposition Parties Set to Grill Abe over Obuchi Scandal
- 10/19 13:04 (Update) 3 Prefectures Conduct Drill against Mount Fuji Eruption