(Update) Japan's Abe to Visit Italy in March
Tokyo, Feb. 23 (Jiji Press)--Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe is considering visiting Italy as part of a European tour next month, government sources said Thursday.
Abe plans to hold talks with his Italian counterpart, Paolo Gentiloni, in Rome to affirm the importance of free and open economies and their cooperation toward a summit of the Group of Seven major countries in May, the sources said.
Italy is this year's chair of the G-7, which also includes Britain, Canada, France, Germany, Japan and the United States.
This would be the first meeting between Abe and Gentiloni, who took office in December.
Abe is expected to underscore the importance of upholding the principle of free trade with the participation of the United States, in the face of increasing concerns in Europe over the foreign and trade policies of the administration of U.S. President Donald Trump, the sources said.
- 02/23 18:06 (Update) Japan's Abe to Visit Italy in March
- 02/23 17:55 S. Korean Minister Urges Busan to Move "Comfort Women" Statue
- 02/23 17:37 5 Ex-Education Ministry Officials to Quit Foundation
- 02/23 16:08 Russia Plans to Deploy New Military Division to Kuril Islands
- 02/23 15:57 Japan Ordered to Pay 30.2 B. Yen Damages for Kadena Noise Pollution
- 02/23 15:23 Japan Services Producer Prices Up 0.5 Pct in Jan.
- 02/23 14:16 Japan Revises Down Coincident CI in Dec.
- 02/23 10:36 Questions Remain over Japan-U.S. Relations: Congress Report
- 02/23 10:30 Seafood "Dashi" Soup Stock Popular with Youth, Foreigners
- 02/23 05:00 Japan Crown Prince Turns 57, Says Emperor's Message Pulls Heartstrings
- 02/22 20:50 Warehouse Fire near Tokyo under Control after 6 Days
- 02/22 20:49 Japan Univ. Students to Start Job Hunting on March 1
- 02/22 19:30 Japanese Movie Director Seijun Suzuki Dies at 93
- 02/22 18:01 Japan Govt Official Attends "Takeshima Day" Event in Shimane
- 02/22 17:44 Tokyo Assembly Sets Up Strong Probe Panel on Toyosu Issues
- 02/22 17:23 Oi N-Reactors Clear Safety Screening for Restart
- 02/22 16:45 Tokyo Govt to Share Costs for Temporary Olympic Facilities
- 02/22 14:14 Ueno Zoo Suspends Viewing of Giant Pandas for Mating
- 02/22 09:19 British Museum Gives Up Hokusai Float Exhibit
- 02/22 00:17 (Update) Man Cuts Own Belly at Tokyo Police Office
- 02/21 21:40 "Premium Friday" Kickoff Event Held in Tokyo
- 02/21 20:52 Japan to Toughen Penalties for Sex Crimes
- 02/21 18:27 JR East to Standardize Tourist Info Centers in Tohoku
- 02/21 17:33 Ex-Tokyo Governor Ishihara to Meet Press on March 3 over Toyosu Issues
- 02/21 17:25 Japan Education Min. Confirms 17 New Illegal Job-Brokering Cases
- 02/21 16:33 Kuraray, Others Raided over Activated Carbon Bid-Rigging
- 02/21 16:27 Japan Govt Official to Attend "Takeshima Day" Ceremony
- 02/21 12:55 Japan Ruling Bloc Agrees to Put Off Budget Vote on "Premium Fri."
- 02/21 09:00 INTERVIEW: Legal Framework Needed for Disaster Evacuee Acceptance
- 02/20 22:21 Man Sues Wife in Japan over Childbirth from Frozen Egg
- 02/20 20:37 Japan Draws Up Inclusive Society Action Plan for 2020 Tokyo Games
- 02/20 18:20 All Major Japan Cities to Increase Budget for FY 2017
- 02/20 17:32 (Update) Man Admits Attempted Murder of Idol in Tokyo Suburb
- 02/20 17:26 Tokyo Assembly to Set Up Powerful Probe Panel on Toyosu Issues
- 02/20 14:51 Japan Ruling, Opposition Parties Split over Imperial Abdication
- 02/20 13:26 Special Exhibition on WWII Japanese Internment Opens in U.S.
- 02/20 10:55 Haneda Terminal 2 to Go International Ahead of 2020 Olympics
- 02/20 10:30 FOCUS: Failed Survey Complicates N-Fuel Removal at Fukushima Plant
- 02/20 09:04 Japan Jan. Trade Deficit Widens to 1,086.9 B. Yen
- 02/19 21:57 Families Demand Abductees' Rescue from N. Korea This Year
- 02/19 17:53 (Update) Victims of Japan's 1942 Bombing of Darwin Remembered
- 02/19 17:19 Japan to Promote Universal Design for Paralympics
- 02/19 13:22 LDP Exec Suggests Study on Acquiring Attack Capability
- 02/19 11:30 Project to Make Diamonds from Disaster Victim Keepsakes
- 02/19 10:30 Japan to Set Annual "Minpaku" Stay Limit at 180 Days
- 02/18 18:42 Japan Drafts Policy on More Rare Wildlife Designations
- 02/18 17:28 Japan May Boost Purchases of U.S. Defense Equipment
- 02/18 13:37 Okinawa to Survey U.S. Plane Flights at Futenma
- 02/17 22:12 Abe-Linked School Operator Buys State-Owned Land at Big Discount
- 02/17 21:35 (Update) Japan-U.S. Economic Dialogue to Start as Early as April