Japan to Propose Catch Limit on Pacific Bluefin Tuna
Tokyo, Aug. 25 (Jiji Press)--Japan plans to make a proposal at an upcoming international meeting that calls for introducing a two-year catch limit on Pacific bluefin tuna as an emergency rule if young tuna resources continue plunging, informed sources said Thursday.
Japan is set to propose the emergency rule at a meeting of the Northern Committee of the Western and Central Pacific Fisheries Commission that will be held in the southwestern Japan city of Fukuoka for five days from Monday.
The envisaged rule calls for limiting catches of bluefin tuna if the number of young bluefin tuna under one year old stands at some 4.5 million, the lowest level since 1990, for the third straight year, the sources said.
Newest data show that the number came to 3.68 million in 2014, already below the envisaged benchmark level. If the current level continues until 2016, the emergency rule would be put into place.
As the world's largest consumer of tuna, Japan may propose a ban on bluefin tuna catches without an age limit.
- 08/25 22:28 Japan to Propose Catch Limit on Pacific Bluefin Tuna
- 08/25 20:41 Okinawa Development Subsidies to Drop 4.2 Pct in FY 2017
- 08/25 18:45 Japan Amb. to S. Korea Expects Improvement in Bilateral Ties
- 08/25 18:05 INTERVIEW: New Japan Justice Minister Opposes Abolishing Death Penalty
- 08/25 16:46 Maehara Announces Bid for DP Presidency, Facing Renho
- 08/25 15:04 UNSC Members Condemn N. Korea's Latest Missile Firing
- 08/25 13:06 Abe Leaves for Kenya to Attend TICAD VI
- 08/25 13:01 Japan Services Producer Prices Up 0.4 Pct in July
- 08/25 11:05 N. Korean SLBM May Put Japan within Range by '20: U.S. Institute
- 08/25 10:14 Japan Proposes Steps to Manage Mackerel Stocks in Int'l Talks
- 08/24 23:41 (Update 2) Japan, S. Korea Vow to Implement Comfort Women Accord Steadily
- 08/24 22:46 (Update) Japan Urges China to Stop Territorial Intrusions
- 08/24 22:02 First "Pokemon Go"-Linked Fatal Traffic Accident Occurs in Japan
- 08/24 19:39 Exclusively Breastfeeding Rate in Japan Tops 50 Pct for 1st Time
- 08/24 18:20 Japan Govt Adopts 4.1-T.-Yen 2nd Extra Budget
- 08/24 17:17 (Update) Body of Saitama Boy Found Half-Buried near River
- 08/24 16:42 Japan to Begin SDF Training under New Security Laws
- 08/24 16:22 Japan, China, S. Korea Agree to Press N. Korea to Follow U.N. Resolutions
- 08/24 15:50 Japanese Lawmakers Visiting Russia for Akita Dog Diplomacy
- 08/24 14:57 Abe Condemns N. Korea's Firing of Submarine-Based Missile
- 08/24 14:08 Japan Revises Up Coincident CI for June
- 08/24 13:08 Stopping Drinking Halves Esophagus Cancer Recurrence Risk: Study
- 08/24 11:34 (Update) N. Korea Fires Submarine-Based Missile in Sea of Japan
- 08/24 11:03 Japan Govt Decides to Pay One B.Yen to Comfort Women Foundation
- 08/24 10:30 Extended Term of Up to 9 Years Proposed for LDP President
- 08/24 09:30 Japan Firms Boosting Presence in Emerging Africa
- 08/24 08:55 N. Korea Fires Submarine-Based Missile in Sea of Japan
- 08/23 19:18 INTERVIEW: JETRO Exec Urges Japan Firms to Expand into Africa
- 08/23 19:13 (Update) Osaka Ishin to Be Renamed Nippon Ishin no Kai
- 08/23 18:42 79 "Pokemon Go" Traffic Accidents Reported in Japan
- 08/23 18:05 (Update) BOJ's Kuroda Seeks to Address Cyberattacks to Promote Fintech
- 08/23 16:52 Sea Shepherd Agrees Not to Attack Japanese Whalers Any More
- 08/23 10:49 Japanese Chemist Yamamoto Wins Roger Adams Award
- 08/23 09:44 China Lifts Antidumping Duties on Japanese Steel Tubes
- 08/23 02:53 (Update 3) Strong Typhoon Lashes Japan, Leaving 2 Dead
- 08/22 21:08 Japan, China, S. Korea Foreign Chiefs to Meet in Tokyo Wed.
- 08/22 19:11 Japan Faces Need to Protect Rights for Fruits, Vegetables Abroad
- 08/22 17:29 (Update) Strong Typhoon Lashes Tokyo, Raising Flood Risks
- 08/22 15:56 Japan Protests Russia's Detention of Japanese on Disputed Island
- 08/22 14:54 Rio Hands Olympic Flag to Tokyo at Closing Ceremony
- 08/22 00:30 (Update 2) Japanese Man Stopped by Russian Authorities on Disputed Island
- 08/21 16:01 Abe to Visit Russia, China in Sept.
- 08/21 12:26 Fukushima School Brass Band Members Perform in New York
- 08/20 14:59 Memorial Service Held 2 Years after Deadly Hiroshima Landslides