Child Victims of SNS-Linked Crimes Hit Record in Japan
Tokyo, Sept. 18 (Jiji Press)--A record number of children under 18 years old in Japan fell victim to crimes through social networking services in January-June this year, the National Police Agency said Thursday.
The number of such victims rose by 100, or 17 pct, from a year earlier to 698, the highest since the agency started collecting data in 2008.
Junior high school girls who became such victims jumped 22 pct, and children victimized via identification exchange sites for smartphone communications service users doubled, apparently due to the spread of smartphones among teenagers, according to the agency.
Children who fell prey to such crimes as sexual molestation, prostitution and pornography by people they met via social networking sites decreased for the two successive years through 2012 thanks to stronger surveillance by site operators.
But such victim children increased in 2013 as more perpetrators preyed on those who use free smartphone communications applications such as Line and Kakao Talk and post ID codes on bulletin boards for ID exchanges.
- 09/18 12:46 Child Victims of SNS-Linked Crimes Hit Record in Japan
- 09/18 11:01 Tokyo Game Show Opens at Makuhari Messe
- 09/18 09:01 Japan Logs Trade Deficit of 948.5 B. Yen in Aug.
- 09/17 22:45 (Update 2) Japan, 3 Others Agree to Curb Eel Farming
- 09/17 22:25 Japan Declares Intention to Continue Research Whaling
- 09/17 21:31 (Update 2) Japan Govt Aiming to Stop Futenma Operation in 2019: Suga
- 09/17 18:25 Visitors to Japan Up 22.4 Pct in August
- 09/17 17:46 (Update) Japan Govt Aiming to Halt Futenma Use in 2019: Suga
- 09/17 17:34 China Ambassador to Iceland Nabbed for Spying for Japan
- 09/17 13:53 ANALYSIS: DPJ Revival Remains Uncertain after Exec Reshuffle
- 09/16 22:57 Japan to Resume Govt-Labor-Management Talks
- 09/16 22:40 Japan, 3 Others Likely to Agree on Eel Farming Curbs
- 09/16 21:41 (Update 2) Japan Imperial Couple May Visit Palau Next Year
- 09/16 21:29 Japan, China, S. Korea Finance Chiefs to Meet on Fri.
- 09/16 20:20 Obokata's Mentor Admits STAP Cell Creation Not Easy
- 09/16 20:06 N. Korea Opens Northern Border City to Japanese Media
- 09/16 15:32 INTERVIEW: Revising Japan Civil Code for Dual Surnames Needs Prudence
- 09/16 15:31 (Update) Strong Quake Hits Eastern Japan
- 09/16 14:12 DPJ Launches New Leadership Team
- 09/16 13:17 Japan's Abe to Attend U.N. General Assembly Meeting
- 09/16 12:03 Japan Parties Unlikely to Reach Deal on Upper House Electoral Reform
- 09/16 09:38 OECD Lowers Japan's 2014 GDP Growth Forecast to 0.9 Pct
- 09/15 23:57 IWC Plenary Session Starts
- 09/15 22:27 Japanese Families Arrive at Pyongyang for Grave Visit
- 09/15 18:52 S. Korea to Review Import Ban on Japan Marine Products
- 09/15 17:45 INTERVIEW: Research Whaling Indispensable for Data Collection
- 09/14 17:47 Elderly Account for Record 25.9 Pct of Japanese Population
- 09/14 16:51 S. Korea Foreign Minister Attends Exchange Event with Japan
- 09/14 11:57 Abe Neutral on Additional Consumption Tax Hike
- 09/14 11:30 INTERVIEW: Japan IWC Rep Urges Correct Understanding of ICJ Ruling
- 09/14 10:30 Nursery-Kindergarten Hybrids in Disarray over Subsidies
- 09/13 21:47 Rally Seeks Concrete Results of N. Korea's Abductee Probes
- 09/13 18:44 60 Pct of Japanese Men Know Nothing of Maternity Mark
- 09/13 18:11 Dengue Fever Outbreak in Japan Shows No Signs of Ending
- 09/13 15:23 Patient Claims Brighter View after iPS Transplant
- 09/13 14:00 U.S. Official Concerned over Slower Growth in Japan, Europe
- 09/13 10:40 (Update) ASEM Ministers Concerned over Fragile Global Growth
- 09/13 05:14 ASEM Ministers Concerned over Fragile Global Growth
- 09/12 23:32 (Update) Japan Team Successfully Ends Transplant in World's 1st iPS Clinical Study
- 09/12 22:58 Japan Revises Dengue Fever Response Manual
- 09/12 22:53 Japan Extraordinary Diet Session May Begin Sept. 29
- 09/12 20:09 Japan Govt Seeks Kagoshima's Understanding of Reactor Restart
- 09/12 18:29 Only 20 Pct Favor Next Consumption Tax Hike: Jiji Poll
- 09/12 18:12 Japan Team Ends Transplant in World's 1st iPS Clinical Study
- 09/12 17:00 Abe Cabinet Support Rate Rises Back above 50 Pct: Jiji Poll
- 09/12 16:55 Pop Singer Aska Gets Suspended Sentence for Drug Use