Obama Looking Forward to Visiting Pearl Harbor with Abe
Washington, Dec. 7 (Jiji Press)--U.S. President Barack Obama said Wednesday he looks forward to visiting Pearl Harbor with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe in late December.
"As a testament that even the most bitter of adversaries can become the closest of allies, I look forward to visiting the USS Arizona Memorial later this month along with Prime Minister Shinzo Abe," Obama said in a statement to mark the 75th anniversary of Japan's attack on Pearl Harbor.
The U.S. leader referred to Abe's Pearl Harbor visit plan in public for the first time.
"This historic visit will stand as a tribute to the power of reconciliation and to the truth that the United States and Japan--bound by an alliance unimaginable 75 years ago--will continue to work hand-in-hand for a more peaceful and secure world," the statement also said.
On Dec. 7, 1941, the now-defunct Imperial Japanese Navy attacked the U.S. naval base in Hawaii, leading the United States to declare war with the Asian country during World War II.
- 12/08 03:50 Obama Looking Forward to Visiting Pearl Harbor with Abe
- 12/07 23:59 U.S. Fighter Jet Crashes into Sea off Kochi Pref.
- 12/07 22:35 (Update) Japan Panel Starts Drawing Up Summary of Issues on Abdication
- 12/07 22:05 Japan Ruling Coalition Decides Hokuriku Shikansen Extension Route
- 12/07 21:11 (Title corrected) Uzbekistan to Waive Tourist Visas for Japanese Visitors
- 12/07 20:54 DeNA Pres. Apologizes over Info Site Credibility Scandal
- 12/07 19:34 Japan Govt Conducts Cyber Drill Eyeing 2020 Tokyo Games
- 12/07 15:49 Japan Panel Starts Drawing Up Summary of Issues on Abdication
- 12/07 14:05 Japan Oct. Coincident Index Up 1.4 Points
- 12/07 13:12 Sidewalk in Riken-Linked City Named "Nihonium Dori"
- 12/07 12:12 Abe's Historic Pearl Harbor Visit Plan Draws Mixed Responses
- 12/07 10:30 "Engawa Cafes" Prove Popular in Japan Mountainous Settlement
- 12/07 00:03 (Update) Ex-Mitsubishi Exec Ueda Named NHK President
- 12/06 23:30 1st Japan-Russia Biz Meet in 4 Years Set for Dec. 16
- 12/06 22:57 Court Rejects Petition to Halt Okinawa Helipad Construction
- 12/06 22:56 Japan-U.S. Team Enables Efficient Flu B Vaccine Production
- 12/06 21:49 Japan Casio Bill Criticized for Poor Addiction Prevention Measures
- 12/06 19:57 Japanese Students Rank Higher in Math, Science: OECD
- 12/06 18:38 Taxi Drives onto Sidewalk in Tokyo's Aoyama, Injuring 4 People
- 12/06 18:29 Ueda Named NHK President
- 12/06 18:03 Japan Govt to Pay Travelers to Quake-hit Tottori 10,000 Yen
- 12/06 17:11 Abe's Pearl Harbor Visit Not for Apology: Japan Spokesman
- 12/06 15:49 Japan's Lower House Passes Casino Bill
- 12/06 13:20 U.N. Adopts Japanese-Led Resolution for Nuclear Abolition
- 12/06 12:41 Americans to Warmly Receive Abe's Pearl Harbor Visit: Official
- 12/06 09:03 Japan's Real Wage Index Stays Flat in Oct.
- 12/06 09:00 Central Japan Town Promoting "Beauty Tourism"
- 12/06 00:06 (Update 2) Japan's Abe to Make Historic Visit to Pearl Harbor in Late Dec.
- 12/05 23:30 Kobe Assembly Adopts Ordinance on Stray Cats
- 12/05 22:54 Noted Japan TV Host Hiroshi Ogawa Dies at 90
- 12/05 22:10 Winter Holiday Travelers Seen Falling for 1st Time in 5 Yrs: JTB
- 12/05 21:39 JR East Unveils All-Suite Deluxe Sleeper Train Before Debut in Spring
- 12/05 18:40 Star Ballplayer Otani Given Club's OK for Move to U.S.
- 12/05 17:57 Japanese Scientist Ohsumi Picked for Breakthrough Prize
- 12/05 17:33 Long-Term Govt Role Urged in Fukushima N-Accident Response
- 12/05 16:54 Japan Times Honorary Chairman Ogasawara Dies at 85
- 12/05 16:01 Abe Urges Kishida to Continue Efforts for Summit with Putin
- 12/05 12:56 "Kimi no Na wa" Wins L.A. Film Critics Award
- 12/05 10:47 Arakawa, Who Coached Baseball Legend Oh, Dies at 86
- 12/05 09:00 Abe Becomes 4th-Longest Serving Leader in Postwar Japan
- 12/05 07:46 Loss-Making Railway Section in Hokkaido Ends 95-Year History
- 12/04 11:28 Tsukiji Sees Increase in Illegal Waste Dumping
- 12/03 23:58 (Update) 3 Die after Taxi Crashes into Hospital in Japan
- 12/03 23:11 (Update 2) Kishida, Lavrov Agree to Pursue Progress on Isles
- 12/03 17:54 Aso Top Political Fundraiser in Abe Cabinet
- 12/03 04:05 Kishida Conveys Japan's Stance on Isle Issue to Putin
- 12/03 02:59 Another Avian Flu Outbreak Confirmed in Aomori Pref.
- 12/02 22:00 Teacher Calls Fukushima Evacuee Pupil "Germ"
- 12/02 21:29 Japan to Raise Spousal Income Limit for Tax Break to 1.5 M. Yen
- 12/02 20:22 Japan Mulls Record 97-T.-Yen Budget for FY 2017
- 12/02 18:17 Central Japan City Adopts "Hospitality with Sweets" Ordinance
- 12/02 18:02 Ishikawa Ties Up with French Group to Lure Wealthy Tourists
- 12/02 17:10 Japan Decides to Strengthen Sanctions against N. Korea
- 12/02 17:01 Info on 420,000 Customers Likely Compromised at Shiseido Unit
- 12/02 15:59 Casino Bill Clears Japan Lower House Panel
- 12/02 15:53 Victims of 2012 Tunnel Collapse in Yamanashi Remembered
- 12/02 15:05 Japanese Lawmakers Form Group to Back Osaka 2025 Expo Bid
- 12/02 13:44 U.S. Defense Chief to Visit Japan, Others from Sat.
- 12/02 13:30 Japan Enacts Bill to Allow Use of Dormant Deposits
- 12/02 12:13 Japan to Cut FY 2016 Tax Revenue Estimate due to Yen's Rise
- 12/02 10:30 School Safety to Be Required Subject for Teachers in Japan