Japan MSDF Skips Required Safety Checks on Life Jackets
Tokyo, Oct. 13 (Jiji Press)--Japan's Maritime Self-Defense Force has failed to carry out required safety checks on gas-inflated life jackets mainly for destroyer crew members since 1992, the Board of Audit said Tuesday.
The MSDF failed to distribute a technical publication used as a manual for the safety checks, the government watchdog said, urging the MSDF to ensure the required checks are carried out appropriately.
An MSDF official said the organization will review its equipment maintenance system and rules.
The life jackets, which inflate with carbon dioxide, are equipped on MSDF destroyers and elsewhere mainly for helicopter maintenance staff and firefighters on board.
The board checked 6,166 jackets, worth 250 million yen. Those introduced recently were not covered.
- 10/13 17:16 Japan MSDF Skips Required Safety Checks on Life Jackets
- 10/13 17:06 Welfare Min. Official Arrested on Bribe-Taking Charges
- 10/13 17:01 Japan's Emperor, Empress to Visit Philippines in Early 2016
- 10/13 16:05 (Update) Suga Wants Reduced Tax Rate from April '17
- 10/13 14:58 Japan May Stop UNESCO Funding after Nanjing Incident Listing
- 10/13 12:04 Okinawa Revokes Landfill Permit for U.S. Base Relocation
- 10/12 23:44 Suga Wants Reduced Rate Plan When Consumption Tax Rises
- 10/12 23:40 Japan, Iran Agree to Conclude Investment Pact
- 10/12 19:02 Chinese State Councilor Yang to Meet with Japan's Abe Wed.
- 10/11 21:54 Majority of Ishin no To Members Not to Join Hashimoto's New Party
- 10/11 18:54 (Update) Onaga to Announce Cancellation of Henoko Landfill Approval Tues.
- 10/11 18:17 (Update) Japan Aiming to Introduce Reduced Consumption Tax Rate
- 10/11 17:32 Onaga to Announce Cancellation of Henoko Landfill Approval Tues.
- 10/11 14:36 Suga Ready to Consider Reduced Consumption Tax Rate
- 10/10 20:26 Japan Diet May Not Be Convened for Extraordinary Session
- 10/10 15:33 Europe Tolerant of Yuan Inclusion in SDR Basket at IMF Meeting
- 10/10 12:29 (Update) 2 Japanese Items Added to UNESCO Memory Register
- 10/10 05:05 2 Japanese Items Added to UNESCO Memory Register
- 10/10 02:51 Hibakusha Group Disheartened to Miss Nobel Peace Prize
- 10/09 22:07 Japan Wants Farmers to Switch to Offense after TPP Deal
- 10/09 19:11 Automakers to Vie on Green, Safety Tech at Tokyo Motor Show
- 10/09 18:29 INTERVIEW: New Min. Marukawa Sticks to Existing Waste Disposal Policy
- 10/09 17:58 (Update) 3 Killed in "Maid Cafe" Fire in Hiroshima
- 10/09 17:39 Ex-Aides to LDP's Obuchi Convicted for False Funds Statements
- 10/09 17:22 Japan NRA Finishes Safety Screenings for Takahama N-Reactors
- 10/09 16:45 Ehime Pref. Assembly OKs Restart of Ikata N-Reactor
- 10/09 15:37 G-20 Concerned over Economic Risks, Agrees on Taxation Rules
- 10/09 15:22 Japan, China, S. Korea Vow to Cooperate for Economic Stability
- 10/09 14:38 3 Killed in "Maid Cafe" Fire in Hiroshima
- 10/09 01:35 (Update) Japan Abe May Have Met Taiwan Presidential Favorite Tsai
- 10/08 22:34 INTERVIEW: New Industry Min. Hayashi Wants More Oil Biz Realignment
- 10/08 20:16 Japan Abe May Have Met Taiwan Presidential Favorite Tsai
- 10/08 19:15 40 Firms Registered as Power Retailers in Japan
- 10/08 18:21 Japan to Help Indonesia Solve Smoke Problem
- 10/08 18:02 Hokkaido Warned of Heavy Storm; 3 Injured in Gales
- 10/08 17:47 Peruvian Man Arrested over Murder of Couple in Eastern Japan
- 10/08 17:27 Beheaded Animals Found in Tokyo
- 10/08 16:29 Japan's New Reform Minister Shuts Access to Blog Entries
- 10/08 15:38 U.S. Treasury Launches Probe into Islamic State's Toyota Vehicle Acquisition
- 10/08 15:34 My Number-Linked Suspicious Phone Calls Reported in Tokyo
- 10/08 15:24 Japan Child Abuse Cases Hit Record High in FY 2014
- 10/08 13:24 TPP Pact to Be Finalized Early: USTR Froman
- 10/08 11:32 World Bank Investigating Hitachi Corruption Scandal in S. Africa
- 10/08 09:04 Japan's Current Account Surplus Jumps to 1,653.1 B. Yen in Aug.
- 10/07 22:22 (Update 2) Abe Reshuffles Cabinet to Refocus on Economy
- 10/07 21:34 FOCUS: Fleshing Out Social Revitalization Steps Urgent for Abe
- 10/07 21:17 FOCUS: China, S. Korea Remain Abe's Major Diplomatic Tasks