Japan Raises Volcanic Alert at Hot Spring Resort Hakone
Tokyo, May 6 (Jiji Press)--The Japan Meteorological Agency on Wednesday raised the volcanic alert for Mount Hakone in the popular hot spring resort in southwest of Tokyo.
Warning of a possible minor eruption at or around the valley of Owakudani in Hakone Town, the agency issued a Level 2 warning for the 1,438-meter-tall mountain in Kanagawa Prefecture, eastern Japan, up from the previous level of one on the scale of 5.
The Hakone government issued an evacuation order in an area surrounding the valley. Hakone Ropeway Co. fully suspended its ropeway service because its Owakudani Station is in the area covered by the order.
Prefectural Highway 734 was closed at a junction to block access to the valley. Nearby hiking trails remained shut from Monday morning.
Mount Hakone in March 2009 joined the volcanoes to which the volcanic alert scale is applied. The alert level 2, at which access to the crater is restricted, was issued for the first time for Mount Hakone.
- 05/06 17:39 Japan Raises Volcanic Alert at Hot Spring Resort Hakone
- 05/06 15:09 Japan Aims to "Export" Technical College System to Turkey
- 05/06 01:19 Japanese Abductee's Brother Urges Int'l Action on N. Korea
- 05/05 22:47 ADB Eyes Future Capital Hike for Infrastructure Funding
- 05/05 17:06 Japan to Share Reconstruction Experience at Island Summit
- 05/05 16:14 Abe-Planted Cherry Blossom Tree Blooms in Moscow
- 05/05 13:17 Japan to Disclose Draft TPP Clauses to Lawmakers
- 05/05 12:13 China Official Notes Gap in Abe Speech, Murayama Statement
- 05/05 01:11 (Update 2) Japan's Aso Seeks "Bold" Reforms of ADB
- 05/04 22:43 Japanese Industrial Revolution Sites Recommended as World Heritage
- 05/04 20:59 Steam Gushes from Hakone's Owakudani
- 05/04 20:41 (Update) Japan's Aso Seeks "Bold" Reforms of ADB
- 05/04 20:00 Japan's Aso Seeks "Bold" Reforms of ADB
- 05/04 19:10 "100-Yen Breakfast" Served at Universities in Japan
- 05/04 17:47 Ransomware Affecting PCs in Japan
- 05/04 17:10 Japan's Child Population Hits Record Low of 16.17 M.
- 05/03 23:07 (Update) Japan to Beef Up Infrastructure Investment in Asia
- 05/03 11:52 Japan's Kishida Meets Raul, Fidel Castro
- 05/03 10:30 ANALYSIS: Abe's Visit Highlights Strong Ties with U.S., Rifts with Asian Neighbors
- 05/03 10:00 Japanese Zoos Collaborating on Koala Breeding
- 05/03 02:29 Japan to Boost Aid to Cuba in Medical Field
- 05/02 16:22 Nagasaki Mayor Urges U.S., Russia to Accelerate N-Arms Reductions
- 05/02 14:44 ADB, AIIB Agree to Collaborate for Asia
- 05/02 13:47 Abe Says to Express Remorse in War Anniversary Statement
- 05/01 20:48 Team Converts Skin Cells into Nerve-Like Cells
- 05/01 20:43 Japan to Deploy GSDF Unit to Miyako Island in Okinawa
- 05/01 20:20 Abe Promotes Shinkansen Tech for California Project
- 05/01 19:02 Japan to Integrate Elderly Nursing Care, Childcare Services
- 05/01 18:38 Thailand Eases Import Curbs on Japanese Foods
- 05/01 15:27 Half of Japanese Children Use Smartphones Before Bedtime: Survey
- 05/01 11:42 TPP Ministerial Meeting May Be Held on May 26-28