Pregnant Montano runs 800m at US World Championship trials
Five months pregnant and running an 800m in brutal heat, Alysia Montano lived up to the best traditions of the Wonder Woman superhero character on her running vest on Thursday.
The 31-year-old from New York shrugged off sweltering conditions to line up in the 800m heats as the US World Championship trials got under way in searing temperatures of 110 degrees Fahrenheit (43 Celsius) in Sacramento.
It was the second time Montano has run while heavily pregnant following her appearance in 2014 when eight months pregnant.
In the end, Montano finished a distant last place, trailing home in 2min 21.40secs at Hornet Stadium.
Nevertheless Montano was proud of her display and felt no ill effects from her two-lap dash.
I feel amazing, said Montano, who said she had been partly inspired to run after discovering that the star of Hollywood superhero blockbuster Wonder Woman -- Gal Gadot -- had been pregnant while filming the movie.
I thought it (the film) was amazing, Montano said. And then I found out that she did half of the movie five months pregnant so I thought 'I will definitely be signing up for US Nationals'.
Montano added that she had been mostly inspired by feedback from women who saw her racing while pregnant three years ago.
I heard from so many people who said they had been inspired by my story, she said. I feel responsible to be a representative. I represent women, I represent black women, I represent pregnant women. It's been fantastic.
Asked if she had been apprehensive about running in the searing heat, she told AFP: Absolutely not. We are so incredibly privileged to live in America. There are women that birth babies after babies after babies in Saudi Arabia, in Africa. Honestly, two minutes running out in the heat?
I know how to take care of myself. I drank a ton of water, took a lot of electrolytes, which is not always the case for women who have babies in parts of the world that are much hotter than here.
(2017/06/23 14:40)Click Here for Japanese Translation
AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL
- 06/23 14:40 Pregnant Montano runs 800m at US World Championship trials
- 06/23 14:37 Weekly romp could help ageing minds-- study
- 06/23 14:29 California man vists Disneyland 2,000 days in a row
- 06/23 14:24 CIA penetrated by insider network of candy thieves
- 06/23 14:19 Whales shrank before populations crashed-- study
- 06/23 14:16 Exploding whipped cream dispenser kills fitness blogger
- 06/22 14:43 Bolt to run in Monaco before world championships
- 06/22 14:36 World population to reach 9.8 bln in 2050, UN says
- 06/22 14:33 China's dog meat festival opens despite ban rumours
- 06/22 14:26 Queen's hat-- An 'anti-Brexit' message?
- 06/22 14:19 Trump's new idea -- a 'solar wall' on Mexican border
- 06/22 14:14 New therapy for macular degeneration shows promise-- study
- 06/21 14:41 Long before the internet, cats charmed Stone Age humans
- 06/21 14:37 Man bun, cornrows and freckles-- Ken gets a makeover
- 06/21 14:35 Einstein letters on God, Israel and physics fetch $210,000
- 06/21 14:33 Sex offenders cannot be barred from social media-- top US court
- 06/21 14:19 Myanmar sentences 'exorcist' to death for child murders
- 06/21 14:16 He speaks! Top White House aide Kushner gives rare remarks
- 06/20 15:24 Tiger Woods says he's getting 'professional help'
- 06/20 10:06 NASA discovers 10 new Earth-size exoplanets
- 06/20 08:26 Boxing hall of famer Lewis slams Mayweather-McGregor as 'ridiculous'
- 06/20 08:20 Angry Shenhua fans turn on misfiring Tevez
- 06/20 08:12 Carrie Fisher autopsy reveals cocaine, ecstasy
- 06/20 08:09 Octopus inspires S. Korea 'breakthrough' adhesive patch
- 06/19 12:40 Zidane pleads with Ronaldo after 'I quit' bombshell
- 06/19 11:35 Dutch firm aims to deliver first flying car in 2018
- 06/19 11:28 Penalty goals among radical proposals up for debate
- 06/19 11:23 Mayweather says fight with McGregor is what people want
- 06/19 11:17 Spanish bullfighter dies after being gored
- 06/19 11:12 New antibiotic potentially big in fighting drug-resistant bacteria
- 06/16 15:29 Decades later, Yoko Ono to be credited on 'Imagine'
- 06/16 15:18 One in five children in developed world in relative poverty-- UN
- 06/16 15:14 Australian journalist shot in war-torn Philippine city
- 06/16 15:09 Mother's obesity boosts risk for major birth defects-- study
- 06/16 15:03 Syria campaigners name refugee as London fire victim
- 06/16 14:49 Facebook seeks to become 'hostile place' for extremists
- 06/15 14:49 Hard cheese for soya and tofu as EU bans dairy names
- 06/15 14:43 Giant flying turkey once roamed Australia
- 06/15 14:37 US, Qatar agree F-15 fighter sale
- 06/15 14:34 New Amazon dams would be 'massively' destructive-- study
- 06/15 14:30 Families split as Gulf crisis becomes humanitarian issue
- 06/15 14:23 Polish PM under fire for remarks at Auschwitz
- 06/14 14:58 EU sanctions Hungary, Poland, Czechs over refugees
- 06/14 14:55 Good news for redheads-- a tanning drug for the pale-skinned
- 06/14 14:51 French croissants at risk from spiralling butter prices
- 06/14 14:42 Eavesdropping on fish sex in the name of conservation
- 06/14 14:40 One in five teenage French girls too thin, study finds
- 06/14 14:32 Ride-hailing firm Grab mulls Jakarta chopper service