Russian athletes 'want to compete in Olympics'-- official
Most Russian athletes want to compete in the 2018 Winter Olympic Games in Pyeongchang despite a ban on the country's team, the head of the athletes' commission at the Russian Olympic Committee (ROC) said Monday.
We have talked to all the athletes in all the winter sports. The majority of these want to take part in the Games, said fencer Sofiya Velikaya.
The scientific commission supports the position of those sports figures who have decided or may yet decide to compete with neutral status, as well as respecting the position of those who won't participate.
Athletes are fully aware that there won't be a flag or the Russian colours, but they will be representing Russia whatever happens, she added.
The International Olympic Committee (IOC) last week decided to ban Russia from the 2018 Games that run from February 9-25 over its state-sponsored doping programme.
It said it would only allow clean Russian athletes to participate under strict conditions and under the Olympic flag.
Russian President Vladimir Putin said in October said that it would be a humiliation for Russian athletes to compete under the Olympic flag.
He has subsequently softened his stance, however, saying Russia will not boycott the Games and will not stand in the way of athletes who hope to compete as individuals.
(2017/12/12 14:49)Click Here for Japanese Translation
AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL
- 12/12 14:49 Russian athletes 'want to compete in Olympics'-- official
- 12/12 14:45 US man on the run after escaping notorious Bali prison
- 12/12 14:41 US top court declines wife swap case-- yes, you read that right
- 12/12 14:34 Cairo, Moscow sign contract for Egypt's first nuclear plant
- 12/12 14:31 Human interaction causes 'alarming' stress in narwhals
- 12/12 14:25 Australian senator quits over China links
- 12/11 14:50 Blizzard bowl as Bills beat Colts in 'Snowvertime'
- 12/11 14:48 Egypt archaeologists discover mummy in Luxor
- 12/11 14:44 Bitcoin makes muted stock exchange debut at $15,000
- 12/11 14:42 Major recall of Lactalis baby milk over salmonella fears
- 12/11 14:35 Heavy snow causes travel mayhem in northern Europe
- 12/11 14:27 Former Chinese leadership contender faces graft probe
- 12/08 11:54 No single 'out of Africa' migration for humans-- study
- 12/08 11:51 Climate change-- can hummingbirds take the heat?
- 12/08 11:43 Naples pizza twirling wins coveted UNESCO 'intangible' status
- 12/08 11:38 Virtual fur flies as 'CryptoKitties' collar blockchain
- 12/08 11:34 Did Santa really exist? Ancient relic offers new clue
- 12/08 11:30 Toe-playing 'Korean McGregor' riles Chinese eSports rival
- 12/07 11:11 Nigerian state gets 'happiness minister'
- 12/07 11:07 Palestinians outraged, Israel joyous at Trump's Jerusalem move
- 12/07 10:58 Fearful doping whistleblower praises IOC Russia ban
- 12/07 10:53 US arrests of illegal immigrants soar in Trump's first year
- 12/07 10:49 New 'land and sea' velociraptor-like dinosaur discovered
- 12/07 10:45 Time names sexual abuse 'Silence Breakers' as Person of the Year
- 12/06 14:42 London's iconic black cabs go electric
- 12/06 14:34 Philippines halts sale of Sanofi's dengue vaccine
- 12/06 14:29 Trump cabinet member Chao says she too has been harassed
- 12/06 14:26 Obama trumps Trump in Twitter Top 10 of 2017
- 12/06 14:24 How parents behave is linked to suicide risk-- study
- 12/06 14:19 Sumatra's receding forests pushing tigers to the brink
- 12/05 14:40 Sierra Leone's huge 'peace diamond' fetches $6.5 mn
- 12/05 14:38 Pigeons no mere 'bird brains'-- study
- 12/05 14:36 Trust in media grows under Trump, amid partisan split-- survey
- 12/05 14:34 Supreme Court allows Trump travel ban to take effect pending appeal
- 12/05 14:32 10,000 Google staff set to police YouTube content-- chief
- 12/05 14:23 Fashion photographer Bruce Weber accused of sexual harassment
- 12/04 14:37 Mayweather 'adopts' panda, names it after himself
- 12/04 14:34 Man arrested as smelly socks unleash chaos on Indian bus
- 12/04 14:32 Egypt court sentences lawyer to jail over rape remarks
- 12/04 14:30 Half of Yazidis kidnapped by IS still missing
- 12/04 14:28 Met Opera suspends Levine after sex abuse allegations
- 12/04 14:26 Looted Angkor jewellery returned to Cambodia