Waiting periods on guns prevent 750 US deaths per year-- study
Laws that require waiting periods before the purchase of handguns save hundreds of lives per year and reduce the rate of gun homicides by 17 percent, US researchers say.
More than 33,000 gun-related deaths occur annually in the United States, said the study published Monday in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, a peer-reviewed journal.
Researchers at Harvard University looked at laws that require would-be gun purchasers to wait before obtaining a firearm, and how the number of firearm-related deaths changed in those states.
They also compared the death rates from guns in states with no such laws to states with the legislation, from 1970 to 2014.
During this period, 44 states had waiting periods of some kind.
Waiting periods were associated with approximately 36 fewer gun homicides per year in a state with an average number of gun deaths, said the study.
The waiting periods were also associated with 22-35 fewer gun suicides per year in a state with an average number of gun deaths, it added.
A second part of the study focused on the period from 1990 to 1998, when a federal law known as the Brady Act required 19 states to adopt new handgun waiting periods.
During that time, waiting periods were associated with approximately 39 fewer gun homicides and approximately 17 fewer gun suicides per year for a state with an average number of gun deaths.
Just 17 states, including the US capital of Washington, D.C., had laws requiring waiting periods on the purchase of guns as of 2014.
These places likely avoid approximately 750 gun homicides per year with waiting period laws, said the report.
If more states passed waiting period laws, far more lives could be saved.
Expanding the waiting period policy to all other US states would prevent an additional 910 gun homicides per year without imposing any restrictions on who can own a gun, the study concluded.
In early October a gunman rained gunfire down on country music fans at a concert in Las Vegas, killing 58 and leaving almost 550 injured in the worst US mass shooting in recent history.
(2017/10/18 11:20)Click Here for Japanese Translation
AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL
- 10/18 11:20 Waiting periods on guns prevent 750 US deaths per year-- study
- 10/18 09:45 Leicester sack manager Craig Shakespeare - reports
- 10/18 09:40 France to impose instant fines for street harassment of women
- 10/18 09:35 Spain court orders psychic to pay for Dali exhumation
- 10/18 09:32 Smoking to be stubbed out on Thai beaches
- 10/18 09:29 William and Kate expect baby in April-- Kensington Palace
- 10/17 11:43 Trump dubs sexual harassment claims 'totally fake news'
- 10/17 11:14 Olympic swimming champion Ervin kneels during US anthem
- 10/17 11:05 Ed Sheeran Asia tour dates in doubt after cycling injury
- 10/17 10:59 Singer Bjork tells of sexual harassment by director
- 10/17 10:49 'Olympic flame' from Tokyo 1964 went out 4 years ago-- officials
- 10/17 10:46 Big bundle of joy-- Vietnam woman gives birth to 7 kg baby
- 10/16 11:44 Kaepernick files grievance claiming NFL owners collusion-- report
- 10/16 11:10 Australia unity call as dates set for World Cup play-off
- 10/16 11:04 British actress becomes fifth women to accuse Weinstein of rape
- 10/16 10:58 Russia hosts Soviet-style youth festival as Putin woos under-30s
- 10/16 10:54 India man-eating tiger dies after being electrocuted
- 10/16 10:48 Rare north Atlantic hurricane heads for Ireland, UK
- 10/13 14:15 Catalans' last brush with statehood-- 10 bloody hours in 1934
- 10/13 14:12 Philippines' Duterte threatens to expel EU diplomats
- 10/13 12:54 Panama president declares World Cup national holiday
- 10/13 12:45 Swiss open corruption probe against PSG's Al-Khelaifi, ex-FIFA executive Valcke
- 10/13 12:38 Paris wants to phase out diesel cars by 2024
- 10/13 12:35 Spikes in carbon emissions detected with NASA satellite
- 10/12 11:28 Dwarf planet has a ring to it-- study
- 10/12 11:25 Black model in Dove video says ad 'misinterpreted'
- 10/12 11:20 India's top court says sex with child is always rape
- 10/12 11:17 Most US police killings go uncounted on death certs
- 10/12 10:59 MPs join 'tea party' in fresh bid to legalise cannabis
- 10/12 10:55 Unsent text message passes for will in Australia
- 10/11 10:48 IOC completes retesting of 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics samples
- 10/11 10:45 Cancer victim gives Kyrgios 'higher purpose'
- 10/11 10:38 US scientists engineer corn to boost protein
- 10/11 09:54 Nobel economics laureate wants to spend prize 'irrationally'
- 10/11 09:49 Hollywood mogul Weinstein accused of rape
- 10/11 09:42 Weather causes 'lowest' European wine output since WWII
- 10/10 11:20 Better marriages make for healthier hearts-- study
- 10/10 10:58 Dolphins coach resigns over 'white powder' video
- 10/10 10:54 Philippines says sorry to China for Taiwan logo gaffe
- 10/10 10:51 Catch a whiff of this-- scientists decode durian DNA
- 10/10 10:47 Dove sorry for advert branded 'racist'
- 10/10 08:45 Nepal's newly-retired 'living goddess' starts school