France outlaws discrimination based on regional accents
The French lower house of parliament on Thursday approved a law banning discrimination based on a person's accent, calling the practice a form of racism.
The text, overwhelmingly adopted by 98 votes to 3, adds accents to the list of causes of actionable discrimination, along with racism, sexism and discrimination against the disabled.
The maximum penalty proposed in the new legislation is three years' imprisonment and a fine of 45,000 euros.
The law, proposed by centre-right deputy Christophe Euzet, was the subject of animated debate in the house, despite the overwhelming vote.
At a time when the 'visible' minorities benefit from the legitimate attention of public authorities, the 'audible' minorities are the main forgotten people of the social contract based on equality, Euzet argued.
Maina Sage, deputy for French Polynesia, spoke of the difficulties that can be encountered by people, like her, speaking with an accent from outside the French mainland.
Patricia Miralles, the daughter of North Africans, spoke of the mockery that she encountered in her younger days over her Algerian accent, which she briefly reprised in the parliamentary chamber.
Other members of parliament denounced the fact that too many broadcasters with a strong accent get pigeonholed into reporting on rugby or reading the weather bulletin.
On the other hand, Jean Lassalle, of the opposition Libertes et territoires party which includes Corsican nationalists, voted against the text.
I'm not asking for charity, I'm not demanding to be protected because I am who I am, he said in his strong southwest France accent.
Justice Minister Eric Dupond-Moretti, a former lawyer, said he was very convinced about the need for the new law.
Last month Jean-Luc Melenchon, leader of the far-left France Insoumise (France Unbowed) movement, was caught on camera being rude to a journalist with a southern accent who asked him a question at the National Assembly.
Can someone ask me a question in French? And (make it) a bit more understandable..., Melenchon said then, addressing a group of reporters in a video clip which was widely circulated on social media.
(2020/11/27 15:09)Click Here for Japanese Translation
AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL
- 11/27 15:09 France outlaws discrimination based on regional accents
- 11/27 14:58 Indonesian man collapses during flogging for child rape
- 11/27 14:51 China imposes anti-dumping measures on Australian wine
- 11/27 14:44 Questions linger among the corpses of an Ethiopian massacre
- 11/27 14:27 AstraZeneca says its vaccine needs 'additional study'
- 11/27 12:13 Black models increasingly visible on Brazil's catwalks
- 11/26 16:32 US visitors from developing nations to pay thousands in visa bonds
- 11/26 15:11 Defiant restaurant owner flouts Canada pandemic rules
- 11/26 12:30 Argentines mourn Maradona, 'the most human of Gods'
- 11/26 12:16 Amazon offers up to $3,000 signing bonus for new holiday hires
- 11/26 10:18 Meghan Markle reveals miscarriage in July
- 11/26 10:09 Death of 'eternal' Maradona plunges football world into mourning
- 11/25 13:00 $169 bn for 29,000 lives? Study calculates cost of US shutdowns
- 11/25 12:54 China says no 'money worship' in online shopping, live shows
- 11/25 12:49 Charles Darwin notebooks 'stolen' from Cambridge University
- 11/25 12:44 Mysterious 'obelisk' in US desert draws wild theories
- 11/25 12:39 Mus-cats-- Omani woman juggles 500 felines
- 11/25 12:35 UPS stepping up dry ice production, freezers for vaccines
- 11/24 12:38 Tesla factory workers exempt from California's new virus curfew
- 11/24 12:27 Frenchman fined for breaking lockdown 'to smash a guy's face in'
- 11/24 12:23 Qatar says identified parents of dumped baby in airport scandal
- 11/24 12:14 Jumbo task-- Elephant hoisted from deep well in India
- 11/24 12:10 US Ice Bucket Challenge activist dies age 37
- 11/24 12:07 Two Hong Kong political films win at Taiwan Golden Horse Awards
- 11/20 20:22 South Australia to end lockdown early after pizza parlour blunder
- 11/20 15:21 Pacific's Samoa records first case of coronavirus
- 11/20 15:15 BBC announces probe into 1995 Diana interview
- 11/20 14:00 Evidence Australian troops 'unlawfully killed' 39 Afghans
- 11/20 13:37 Google launches strong encryption for Android messages
- 11/20 13:17 Bags and balloons-- NGO documents plastic pollution choking sea life
- 11/19 15:55 Heat and hunger-- Sudan struggles to shelter 25,000 Ethiopian refugees
- 11/19 15:48 Mets star Cano suspended 162 games for doping
- 11/19 15:39 Bolsonaro beams as Putin praises his 'masculinity'
- 11/19 15:30 US approves first rapid home Covid-19 test
- 11/19 13:57 Apple changes course on app store, cuts fees for small developers
- 11/19 13:49 Tea for ten? New online tool lets you calculate Covid-19 risk