Activision Blizzard executive exits following sexism row
Activision Blizzard unveiled a management shakeup Tuesday following employee protests and a California state lawsuit alleging the Call of Duty game giant enabled toxic workplace conditions and discriminated against women.
The head of the Blizzard Entertainment unit, J. Allen Brack, is leaving to pursue new opportunities, the company said in a statement, and will be replaced by company veterans Jen Oneal and Mike Ybarra.
With their many years of industry experience and deep commitment to integrity and inclusivity, I am certain Jen and Mike will lead Blizzard with care, compassion and a dedication to excellence, chief operating officer Daniel Alegre said.
The shakeup comes a week after workers walked out to protest sexism and harassment as a call went out online to boycott hit titles such as Call of Duty and Candy Crush.
The company has launched what it promised would be a far-reaching review of its workplace practices after the state lawsuit alleging wide-ranging discrimination and harassment of women employees.
The protests come amid growing complaints about treatment of women in the industry in recent years.
Activision has pledged to review both its workplace conditions and depiction of women in its popular games.
Tuesday's shakeup affects Blizzard, one of the three operating units of the California-based firm.
Oneal and Ybarra will be co-leaders of Blizzard and share responsibility for development and operational accountability for the company, the statement said.
Both are leaders of great character and integrity and are deeply committed to ensuring our workplace is the most inspired, welcoming environment for creative excellence and to upholding our highest game development standards.
(2021/08/05 12:25)Click Here for Japanese Translation
AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL
- 08/05 12:25 Activision Blizzard executive exits following sexism row
- 08/05 12:22 Transgender lifter Hubbard retires after Olympic debut
- 08/05 12:20 Sex toys to tea-- Taiwan celebrity loses China endorsements in Olympic row
- 08/05 12:05 Lightning strikes kill 16 at Bangladesh wedding
- 08/05 12:01 'Problematic' Greenland polar bear may be shot
- 08/05 11:58 How Italians sold ice cream to the masses in Vienna
- 08/04 10:43 Aussie Kyrgios examines resiliency, ponders ATP future
- 08/04 10:39 Lucasfilm hires YouTube artist behind 'Star Wars' deepfake
- 08/04 10:35 Researchers detect first 'moon-forming' disc surrounding exoplanet
- 08/04 10:30 Study confirms ancient Spanish cave art was made by Neanderthals
- 08/04 10:26 Rice dish delivery by helicopter sparks probe in Malaysia
- 08/04 10:23 Colombia town orders vaccine refusers to stay home or face fines, jail
- 08/03 11:37 'Just gross' - duck poo, paddling pools on swimmers' road to Tokyo
- 08/03 11:31 New London attraction faces uphill battle for visitors
- 08/03 11:27 Rhino killings on the rise in South Africa
- 08/03 11:24 AI's human protein database a 'great leap' for research
- 08/03 11:21 China's space propaganda blitz endures at slick new planetarium
- 08/03 11:18 US authorities scramble, trade blame as millions face eviction
- 08/02 13:24 In Denmark, grazing is alive with the sound of music
- 08/02 13:15 Heatwave causes massive melt of Greenland ice sheet
- 08/02 13:05 South Korea's record-breaking Olympic archer fought sexism from day one
- 08/02 12:53 Egypt unveils military vessel, Greek funerary site in sunken city
- 08/02 12:46 Philippine drug war dead exhumed as grave leases expire
- 08/02 12:33 AI beefs up veggie burgers as market booms
- 07/30 13:55 China accuses BBC of 'fake news' over floods reporting
- 07/30 13:52 Support for South Korean Olympian after sexist abuse online
- 07/30 13:41 'Be myself'-- transgender judge paddles own canoe at Tokyo Olympics
- 07/30 13:37 ZZ Top bassist Dusty Hill dies at age 72
- 07/30 13:33 Scarlett Johansson sues Disney over 'Black Widow' streaming release
- 07/30 13:31 Workers walk out over treatment of women at game giant Activision
- 07/29 14:11 'Olympic jail'-- Quarantined Dutch athletes demand fresh air
- 07/29 14:02 Environmental concerns grow as space tourism lifts off
- 07/29 13:48 Biles's Tokyo struggles could inspire wider change around mental health
- 07/29 13:39 WHO sounds alarm on 'harmful' e-cigarettes
- 07/29 13:35 Paris start-up sees a future for lab-grown foie gras
- 07/29 13:32 Thailand forest park gets World Heritage nod despite indigenous rights warning
- 07/28 13:58 Pink offers to pay bikini fine for Norway beach handball team
- 07/28 13:54 Record-shattering heatwaves caused by pace of warming-- study
- 07/28 13:49 'Success story'-- Bhutan vaccinates most of population after donations
- 07/28 13:44 After Covid jab, BioNTech sets sights on malaria vaccine
- 07/28 13:41 Astronomers seek evidence of tech built by aliens
- 07/28 13:35 Sandstorm engulfs desert city in China