(Update) Typhoon Soulik Seen Approaching Southern Kyushu
Tokyo, Aug. 20 (Jiji Press)--Strong Typhoon Soulik is forecast to approach the southern part of the Kyushu southwestern Japan region and the Amami islands from Tuesday evening through night, the Japan Meteorological Agency said Monday.
The agency called for strong caution over heavy rain, high tides and powerful winds from this year's 19th typhoon.
The typhoon is expected to head northwest off the western coast of Kyushu on Wednesday, the agency said.
Meanwhile, Typhoon Cimaron, the 20th typhoon of the year, may make landfall and move across western Japan from Thursday afternoon to Friday, the agency said. It may then travel close to the Tohoku northeastern region and the northernmost prefecture of Hokkaido depending on its route.
In the 24 hours until 6 p.m. Tuesday (9 a.m. GMT), rainfall of up to 200 milliliters is forecast in the Shikoku western region, 150 milliliters in the Tokai central and Kinki western regions, 120 milliliters in the southern prefecture of Okinawa, and 100 milliliters in southern Kyushu and on the Amami islands.
- 08/21 01:38 (Update) Typhoon Soulik Seen Approaching Southern Kyushu
- 08/20 23:45 Komeito Leader Yamaguchi Seen Extending His Tenure Further
- 08/20 23:00 (Update) Japanese Teen Arrested for Making Lethal Explosive TATP
- 08/20 22:19 Kyoto Univ. Eyes Clinical Study on iPS Cell-Derived Platelets
- 08/20 18:10 JOC Disqualifies 4 Basketball Players from Asian Games
- 08/20 17:34 Face Recognition at Japan Airports to Cover Foreign Nationals
- 08/20 16:48 Anti-U.S. Base Okinawans Seen Fielding Tamaki in Governor Poll
- 08/20 15:50 Tokugawa Shogunate Silver Seal Found in Japan
- 08/20 15:20 Memorial Service Held 4 Yrs after Hiroshima Landslides
- 08/19 22:49 (Update) Final Exercise for Monju Fuel Removal Suspended Soon after Start
- 08/19 22:18 Late Okinawa Gov. Onaga Cited 2 Successor Candidates
- 08/19 20:30 TEPCO to Move Up Measures against Tsunami from Kuril Trench Quake
- 08/19 18:19 Japan Soon to Form Panel Related to New Resident Status
- 08/19 13:20 Final Exercise Starts for Fuel Removal from Monju Reactor
- 08/18 21:17 Japanese Firms Creating Rest Places for Wildlife at Factories
- 08/18 19:49 Ex-Nurse Served 3rd Arrest Warrant in Serial Murder Case
- 08/18 18:55 Traditional Festivals in Japan Face Financing Difficulties
- 08/18 16:36 Statue of Child in Radiation Protection Suit Drawing Criticism
- 08/18 10:00 INTERVIEW: FSA Sets Up New Team for Regional Revitalization
- 08/18 00:00 2 Years to Go: Female Athletes Seeing Bigger Chances, Challenges
- 08/17 21:38 (Update) Japan Govt Agencies Likely Padded Disabled Employment
- 08/17 20:53 Japan Defense Ministry to Request Record 5.3-T.-Yen Budget
- 08/17 19:45 Japan's Abe Mulling China Visit on Oct. 23.
- 08/17 19:13 China Boosting Bomber Operations for Strikes against U.S., Japan: Pentagon
- 08/17 19:00 U.N. Experts Seek Protective Action for Fukushima Workers
- 08/17 18:35 Illicit Payments Involved in Promotions to Highest Rank in Iaido
- 08/17 18:30 Japan Govt Agencies May Have Overstated Disabled Employment Results
- 08/17 14:40 Police Question Ex-Nihon Univ. Coaches over Football Hit
- 08/17 14:16 New Japan Govt Plane Unveiled
- 08/17 11:41 Kumamoto Students Develop Fertilizers from Shochu Remnants
- 08/17 10:00 Railfans Happy as Doctor Yellow Will Continue "Checkups"
- 08/16 23:31 47-Minute Delay Cited for Chopper Crash Search in Eastern Japan
- 08/16 23:15 FOCUS: Many Temp Workers to See Contract Termination after Sept.
- 08/16 20:11 Japan to Expand Grants to Increase Certified Care Workers
- 08/16 15:21 Dance Clip Created to Help Okayama's Recovery
- 08/16 10:15 Group Washing Precious Photos Damaged in Rain Disaster
- 08/16 09:12 Japan Logs Trade Deficit of 231.2 B. Yen in July
- 08/15 23:12 (Update) Abe Skips Visit to Yasukuni Shrine on War Anniv.
- 08/15 20:59 LDP Eager to Attract Particle Accelerator Project to Japan
- 08/15 20:40 Some Factories Still Not Back on Track in Rain-Hit Western Japan
- 08/15 18:51 Ex-Science Ministry Official Indicted over JAXA Bribery Case
- 08/15 16:34 (Update) China to Overtake Japan as No. 2 U.N. Contributor
- 08/15 16:32 Volcanic Alert Raised for Southwestern Japan Island
- 08/15 16:08 (Update) Typhoon Leepi Moves across Southwestern Japan
- 08/15 15:48 People Hope Imperial Couple's Wish for Peace Will Be Passed On
- 08/15 13:47 Japan's Emperor Reiterates Deep Remorse over World War II
- 08/15 12:26 Abe Makes Ritual Offering to Yasukuni Shrine on War Anniv.
- 08/15 11:01 Japan, Peru Agree to Seek Venezuela's Democratization
- 08/15 07:47 Typhoon Leepi Makes Landfall in Southwestern Japan